Noisy Neighbours (on Ventura)

Mark@cfcmail.co.uk

We have always cruised on family ships with our children from when they were young (they are now adults and still come with us) and I maintain that the problem is almost always attributable to poor parenting.

We never let our children crash around in cabins, shout or slam doors. In restaurants they would always sit at the table and behave impeccably. When very young, if one started crying in a restaurant, we took them outside and calmed them before returning, so as not to ruin the experience for others.

Children are naturally high spirited and will quickly become an irritation to other people if not taught how to behave. It infuriates me in restaurants (on land as well as on ships) when parents allow children to wander around the table, causing a danger to themselves and waiters who are carrying plates of hot food and often brushing past the chairs of neighbouring diners. When the parents see the scowls of other diners, they do a half hearted 'sit down' which the children sense has no consequence if they ignore - or sit down temporarily for a few minutes before the routine starts again. The parents and grandparents, usually the loud 'look at me' types, continue to loudly enjoy their meal whilst being oblivious to the fact that it's ruining the experience for others and causing a nightmare for staff.

These same parents are often the ones who will allow their children to run full pelt along ships corridors, even though it sounds like thunder for those trying to rest or sleep in the cabins they storm past at speed. And, of course, it's easier for these parents to let them run riot in the cabin, crashing and banging around and slamming doors, than to ruin their own holiday by having to tell them off.

Much as we love Britannia, these types are even more prevalent than on other ships, hence why we book a cabin at the end of a corridor, try to avoid adjoining cabins where there are additional berths and seek sanctuary in select dining restaurants, where the cover charge has a natural tendency to create a delightful degree of segregation!

We failed once. We booked a Superior Deluxe on Ventura and deliberately chose one that would have two adults only either side. Unfortunately, one side was a couple who were grandparents to four young children who were staying in two inside cabins along the corridor with their respective Mums who used the grandparents balcony to sunbathe with earphones in whilst their kids used the Grandparents cabins as a crèche. Banging on the wall did no good and my wife also doesn't like confrontation, so I spoke to reception. From then on, the adults used to refer to me as 'Mr Grumpy' when they saw me in the corridor. Pathetic individuals.

In all seriousness, I feel desperately sorry for these children. It's not their fault, it's their parents fault. Our children were high spirited and energetic but from the very start they were taught how to behave in public places. They still loved every minute of their cruises. What chance do these children have in an increasingly competitive world when their parents are such poor role models.

Edited by Selbourne

Well; we put up with it for a couple more days, and the could take it no more (slamming doors and phone ringing at 01:30 hrs), we went down to reception to complain and they gave us a different cabin for the night to enable us to get some sleep, and then moved us the next day to a new cabin. On going back to our original cabin I found out from the room steward that the people occupying the cabin on the other side of the noisy neighbours had been move a couple of days ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What a dreadful experience. I really feel for you. I do hope that a senior officer has spoken to these awful people. How passengers such as this can get away with ruining others holidays is beyond me. I must commend you on your calmness and balance. I would have thrown them all off the balcony! Sadly, we find that most people are quite inconsiderate to some degree, failing to appreciate that sound insulation on cruise ships is very poor and full volume conversations, TV's on the sort of volume you may have at home or allowing doors to slam shut can be a major irritant for neighbours, but the low life's next to you seem to take this to a different level. My sympathies.

Surely something should have been said to the noisy family. Glad you were moved, but this is only sorting the symptom not the cause

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

I can't understand that the people on either side had to move not the people causing the problem! How about them left on the quay side? We have to go in school holiday times when the ships are full. What happens then ?

Well; we put up with it for a couple more days, and the could take it no more (slamming doors and phone ringing at 01:30 hrs), we went down to reception to complain and they gave us a different cabin for the night to enable us to get some sleep, and then moved us the next day to a new cabin. On going back to our original cabin I found out from the room steward that the people occupying the cabin on the other side of the noisy neighbours had been move a couple of days ago.

So they had a spare cabin!! shame they didn't move you earlier when they were obviously aware of the situation. I also hope they offered you some compensation. I would not leave it there and write a letter of complaint on your return.

We stayed in a hotel, which was half term February and also Valentines Night. In the room next to ours was 2 women and 3 children, we suffered the same as you and rang reception around midnight, they telephoned the room and asked if they could have a word. They did but it didn't do much good. They only stayed one night but we did get 50% off the rate of the room.

So they had a spare cabin!! shame they didn't move you earlier when they were obviously aware of the situation. I also hope they offered you some compensation. I would not leave it there and write a letter of complaint on your return.

We stayed in a hotel, which was half term February and also Valentines Night. In the room next to ours was 2 women and 3 children, we suffered the same as you and rang reception around midnight, they telephoned the room and asked if they could have a word. They did but it didn't do much good. They only stayed one night but we did get 50% off the rate of the room.

Mandylennon; I have to say that although I was happy to move, that I was also a little peeved at the realisation that they had obviously known there was a problem (because of our original complaint and the fact that they had moved the neighbours the other side), but they chose to wait until we complained again before they did anything (all be it very quickly).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Shame on those people that spoilt other people's hard earned holiday. I wonder if they realise how noisy and annoying they were being? I'd love to know what they would say if they read this thread.

I suspect if they read this thread they would say the OP was an old fuddy duddy. These sorts of people rarely show respect or regard for others

It is well known that Carmival, and P&O, have an army of people monitoring all social network sites.

Therefore, may one request they DO SOMETHING NOW :eek:

Could the OP post their booking reference so it can be actioned.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

I wonder if P&O keep a record of nuisance passengers and refuse to accept any of their future bookings, or does the desire for higher profits win the day?

Or maybe this would be against their 'uman rights.

I was wondering exactly the same thing actually, would have the conscience to refuse a booking?

I wonder if P&O keep a record of nuisance passengers and refuse to accept any of their future bookings, or does the desire for higher profits win the day?

Or maybe this would be against their 'uman rights.

Why should 2 couples have to be moved because of one disruptive family. It appears that the family from hell have won.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Why should 2 couples have to be moved because of one disruptive family. It appears that the family from hell have won.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

That's exactly what I thought - what happens when the ship is full and no one can move..... you put up with it? Just think it is bizarre.

I'm on the Ventura at the moment and everyone knows what the group in question are like. There have been many incidents concerning the aforementioned family but P&O don't seem to have solved the problem. There were issues this morning that I discussed with a fellow passenger re breakfast attire and a member of the same family.

At each and every port we fully expected to see them on the quayside, cases packed and being loaded into a taxi.

I sympathise with the passengers in the neighbouring cabins.

Come on P&O, remove the offensive bunch! :mad:

I'm on the Ventura at the moment and everyone knows what the group in question are like. There have been many incidents concerning the aforementioned family but P&O don't seem to have solved the problem. There were issues this morning that I discussed with a fellow passenger re breakfast attire and a member of the same family.

At each and every port we fully expected to see them on the quayside, cases packed and being loaded into a taxi.

I sympathise with the passengers in the neighbouring cabins.

Come on P&O, remove the offensive bunch! :mad:

Well, I have just wandered through the buffet and I could hear one of them, so they have survived Cadiz as well.

It's not an exaggeration to say, that they ruined our first week and reduced my wife to tears.

Edited by Mark@cfcmail.co.uk

Get their names and make a formal complaint to P and O, and persist. There is no way these animals should be allowed on a P and O ship again. And there was I thinking that type of passenger only uses Azura!

I like it, and here's me thinking Azura was somewhat 'posher' than Ventura :)

Get their names and make a formal complaint to P and O, and persist. There is no way these animals should be allowed on a P and O ship again. And there was I thinking that type of passenger only uses Azura!

Oddly, we have never experienced problem passengers on Azura but our worst ever P&O cruise in terms of inconsiderate parents with badly behaved children was on Ventura. I guess it is a matter of luck and any ship can get badly behaved passengers from time to time.

One thing that surprises me about this particular occurrence is the tlme of year, the children will have just had 1 - 2 weeks off scholl for Christmas and they should be have been in school for the whole of this cruise. Obviously the parents don't care about their children's education so should we be surprised that they disregard everyone else's right to peace on their holiday.

I only hope that P&O will do something about these people but given that they have been able to remain on board suggests that it is unlikely that any action will be taken against them.

Out of interest who is the captain on Ventura at the moment because it is really his responsibility to sort out these people.

Edited by Josy1953

Well, I have just wandered through the buffet and I could hear one of them, so they have survived Cadiz as well.

It's not an exaggeration to say, that they ruined our first week and reduced my wife to tears.

I sincerely hope that P&O refuse to accept any future cruise booking from the family. I heard on the grapevine today that they've been given two warnings re their behaviour......how many warnings does it need before action is taken?

Oddly, we have never experienced problem passengers on Azura but our worst ever P&O cruise in terms of inconsiderate parents with badly behaved children was on Ventura. I guess it is a matter of luck and any ship can get badly behaved passengers from time to time.

One thing that surprises me about this particular occurrence is the tlme of year, the children will have just had 1 - 2 weeks off scholl for Christmas and they should be have been in school for the whole of this cruise. Obviously the parents don't care about their children's education so should we be surprised that they disregard everyone else's right to peace on their holiday.

I only hope that P&O will do something about these people but given that they have been able to remain on board suggests that it is unlikely that any action will be taken against them.

Out of interest who is the captain on Ventura at the moment because it is really his responsibility to sort out these people.

I agree that its the captain's responsibility but personally I would rather he was safely sailing the ship and not having to bother with people like this. Cruise lines should share names and if you are banned from one you should be banned from all