What do you know about Edge?

jules815

Yup and Royal Caribbean is building it for its subsidiary Celebrity. You do realize that while it is being built the speculation will start in earnest as to which M class ship leaves first.

I am hoping that the Edge class will be used to expand the fleet and itinerary offerings, rather than 1 for 1 replacement of the M Class, but until they announce a ship being sold no one really knows for sure, and as recent goings on at RCCL prove anything can happen (scale back of Majesty redo, transfer back into fleet of Empress, etc.).

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Yup and Royal Caribbean is building it for its subsidiary Celebrity. You do realize that while it is being built the speculation will start in earnest as to which M class ship leaves first.

That speculation started on here about 10 minutes after Edge was first mentioned. Agree with the previous poster.

• 4 weeks later...

I think we have a date.. March 13th?

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/never-done-before-3-d-design-unveiling-for-celebrity-edge.html

"The ship has been designed in 3-D and is going to be revealed 'life size, in 3-D'—that has never been done before, he said—at Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.'s Innovation Lab at PortMiami on March 13."

I'm hoping the cruise critic IT team have ensured they have sufficient storage space on their servers for when the Edge announcement is made. With all the inevitable 'it looks ugly', 'it will be too expensive' and 'it's all about the suites' threads which will inevitably spring up they'll need it! :D

"The ship has been designed in 3-D and is going to be revealed 'life size, in 3-D'—that has never been done before, he said—at Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.'s Innovation Lab at PortMiami on March 13."

Im not sure what part is "new" but pretty much everything, ships included has been designed in 3D for years. I do equipment design work for ships and subs and it's all done in 3D right down to the tiniest screw and wire. Seems kinda silly to mention something like that today. It was a big deal 20 years ago when 3D was just coming out in a big way. He might be talking about VR headsets you can put on and virtually walk through the ship. Those are pretty cool;)

I'm hoping the cruise critic IT team have ensured they have sufficient storage space on their servers for when the Edge announcement is made. With all the inevitable 'it looks ugly', 'it will be too expensive' and 'it's all about the suites' threads which will inevitably spring up they'll need it!

Right, There's going to be a sh..storm of criticism from some of the guests of the "grand old liners" of the past and the silver spoon crowd. I'm hoping for some 21st century tech. I'd like to see touch screen tvs that we can take care of nearly every aspect of our cruise. Yes, I realize some ships have some of it now but there is so much more that could be added. Interactive screens in the common areas like some of the portable ones they have now in a few spots trying to sell you stuff. And please a few more entertainment options (piano bar etc?). Get the crew some tech, ipads for waiters/bar staff etc. hopefully they wont have the stupid tech like robot bartenders. I'm looking forward to the new ships:D

Edited by TFLG

Im not sure what part is "new" but pretty much everything, ships included has been designed in 3D for years. I do equipment design work for ships and subs and it's all done in 3D right down to the tiniest screw and wire. Seems kinda silly to mention something like that today. It was a big deal 20 years ago when 3D was just coming out in a big way. He might be talking about VR headsets you can put on and virtually walk through the ship. Those are pretty cool;)

Why bother booking a cruise at all, just buy a VR headset and take a virtual cruise (far less expensive and no flights to worry about) :D :p.

Why bother booking a cruise at all, just buy a VR headset and take a virtual cruise (far less expensive and no flights to worry about) :D :p.

Because when I take them off my grown kids are still standing there asking "dad are you going to cook dinner";)

Because when I take them off my grown kids are still standing there asking "dad are you going to cook dinner";)

You can tell them to put them back on and choose one of the virtual restaurants - a different one every night if they like :D. No chance of putting on those extra pounds then :p.

Even though it is billed as "between the size of the M class and the S class" that is only in tonnage and length. Don't expect a smaller, more intimate ship.

They will actually carry more pax than all S class ships save the Reflection.

I agree. The "It's bigger than M class but smaller than S class" has been banded about parrot fashion for some time now. People are really buying into the Celebrity marketing...
Having slogged though most of the comments and these are the 2 comments that stand out .

In short these new ships will have a less space per customer ratio. I also wonder about the customer staff ratio's .The marketing nabobs can prattle on about unprecedented levels of luxury but talk is just talk .

The size of the ship and the passenger capacity is very close to the early S-class ships. The new ships are a couple of feet wider, and only 50' shorter, and tonnage is also close to the S-class. Passenger capacity is only 50 more than the Solstice. I doubt we will notice them being any more crowded and hopefully they just make better use of the space. There is a lot of space wasted on under utilized areas on the S-class ships (art gallery for instance). But until we actually see it all this speculation is just that.

VR trips to Murano and Qsine just $9.99 per visit, so you can save on going but still have the same 'experience'.

A VR trip to the Martini or World Class bar for those on the classic package priced just $4.99

VR excursions offered where the real thing is booked up at just 50% of the regular price etc.

A VR trip to the navigation bridge where the captain teaches you how to sail before letting you loose with the controls for 30 minutes. What would that be worth?

I'm telling you, those cost conscious travelers will buy it all. Maybe I should send Lutoff-Perlo my CV? :D

VR trips to Murano and Qsine just $9.99 per visit, so you can save on going but still have the same 'experience'.

A VR trip to the Martini or World Class bar for those on the classic package priced just $4.99

VR excursions offered where the real thing is booked up at just 50% of the regular price etc.

A VR trip to the navigation bridge where the captain teaches you how to sail before letting you loose with the controls for 30 minutes. What would that be worth?

I'm telling you, those cost conscious travelers will buy it all. Maybe I should send Lutoff-Perlo my CV? :D

I got the rights on it first :D.

The size of the ship and the passenger capacity is very close to the early S-class ships. The new ships are a couple of feet wider, and only 50' shorter, and tonnage is also close to the S-class. Passenger capacity is only 50 more than the Solstice. I doubt we will notice them being any more crowded and hopefully they just make better use of the space. There is a lot of space wasted on under utilized areas on the S-class ships (art gallery for instance). But until we actually see it all this speculation is just that.

A dedicated suite floor / zone / pool. Etc etc will help take up any space

A dedicated suite floor / zone / pool. Etc etc will help take up any space

Fab idea, lets dedicate more space so that 5% of the passengers have more places to go. The areas already reserved for the suite guests are not used to the extent they could/should be most of the time.

Fab idea, lets dedicate more space so that 5% of the passengers have more places to go. The areas already reserved for the suite guests are not used to the extent they could/should be most of the time.

This is because MC and Luminae were not part of the original ships design. Designing a ship from scratch should result in more attractive areas (I'm thinking of MC here) being designed which are likely to be used more.

It should be perfectly possible to design a suite only area that does not detract, nor take away space from non suite guests as it's a brand new design.

It should be perfectly possible to design a suite only area that does not detract, nor take away space from non suite guests as it's a brand new design.

I'm not presently concerned until I see the plans, however, it would have to take space away from general pax usage if it was used in the way you state in your post (suite only): the space would be there initially (a space is a space until it's filled), unless it was for crew only purposes.

I'm not presently concerned until I see the plans, however, it would have to take space away from general pax usage if it was used in the way you state in your post (suite only): the space would be there initially (a space is a space until it's filled), unless it was for crew only purposes.

I disagree. The design team could have been given a brief that states xx number of suites + xx number of feet for suite facilities. xx number of non suite rooms and then they decide the dimensions and number of decks etc.

If Edge has one or two decks dedicated to suite pax and then includes all the amenities you would expect for everyone else there are no losers. But like you say, we need to see the deck plans before anyone can post any meaningful comments.Though as I've said before on here, I'd expect to see high pricing on Edge suites. I won't be in the least bit surprised if the prices are comparable to true 6 star lines. But only one month and one day to wait now... :)

I disagree. The design team could have been given a brief that states xx number of suites + xx number of feet for suite facilities. xx number of non suite rooms and then they decide the dimensions and number of decks etc.

No, it's already happened. Both Luminae and Michael's were space that was initially for all guests, but then was removed for suite only guests. X will not reduce the amount of current suite facilities on the new Edge Class, that's one point we can be sure of. So, that square footage will increase the amount of space for suite only guests and reduce that for the general pax - it has to if the ships are slightly smaller. As I stated, a space is a space until it's filled with something.

Additionally, if the rumours are correct, more suites on the new builds, then your theory above comparing numbers of suites to space ratio will result in even less space for general usage. More suites will result in larger dining rooms for more suite pax - it has to. The same goes for any of the suite only facilities.

No, it's already happened. Both Luminae and Michael's were space that was initially for all guests, but then was removed for suite only guests. X will not reduce the amount of current suite facilities on the new Edge Class, that's one point we can be sure of. So, that square footage will increase the amount of space for suite only guests and reduce that for the general pax - it has to if the ships are slightly smaller. As I stated, a space is a space until it's filled with something.

Additionally, if the rumours are correct, more suites on the new builds, then your theory above comparing numbers of suites to space ratio will result in even less space for general usage. More suites will result in larger dining rooms for more suite pax - it has to. The same goes for any of the suite only facilities.

You've missed the point there though. Luminae and MC took away space from non suite guests because S class ships had their design modified. The new E class ships are being designed from the ground up which is not the same thing.

The ships appear slightly smaller, though we have no idea how the space will be used. It's possible that the space may be used more intelligently to make more space available for pax, so I think your comments are based on assumption and not fact. We have no idea how many decks there will be for starters.

Also if there is a higher ratio of suite pax, then yes you need a larger suite dining room. But you also need a smaller MDR. One cancels out the other.

I think we have a date.. March 13th?

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/never-done-before-3-d-design-unveiling-for-celebrity-edge.html

I followed the link to the article about the design center and all the touted cutting edge stuff...seems as exciting as the hyped new production center for staging the new in house mostly flop shows

More money going put the door on land based items....but less on ship...

Better investment would be for an upgraded staff training center...train waiters on how to properly serve a meal, language skills, train cust svc staff to give better svc etc....nothing hi tech replaces good personalized attention..it can assist and enhance but never replace....just my opinion

The ship designers are getting much better at designing ships with multi function areas and this can go a long way to getting more stuff into smaller areas. Remember the older ships that had dedicated conference rooms, movie theaters, wedding chapels etc. The newer ships can reconfigure areas to be one thing during the day and another at night. Towering grand foyers are another huge waste of space, sure they look cool be do they really need to span all 12 decks. Cut those off at 5 or 6 decks and you now can fit another 40 or 50 cabins in. The main Theaters on most celebrity ships are rarely full. Those could be probably be reduced in size without anyone noticing (or they could make the shows better and them more people might attend). Better design can put more stuff into the same size area while still making it seem as open and uncrowded as before (trust me, it's what I do. I am often tasked with putting 10lbs of stuff in a 5lb bag). Hopefully there is more substance and less "fluff" on the new ships. My fear is that everything will be designed to squeeze more money out of us.

This is because MC and Luminae were not part of the original ships design. Designing a ship from scratch should result in more attractive areas (I'm thinking of MC here) being designed which are likely to be used more.

I do agree MC is at a very poor location and is always under used by Suite guests.

Celebrity may already have idea to redesign the Mc to a better location on the new ship pretty much follow the design of Harmony Of The Sea on Royal Caribbean.

That will be part of Modern Luxury selling point.