What do you know about Edge?

jules815

Also if there is a higher ratio of suite pax, then yes you need a larger suite dining room. But you also need a smaller MDR. One cancels out the other.

Which is what I was stating: that extra room in the MDR (for all guests presently) has now been used by the extra suite dining area, so the suite area has grown and the general pax use has shrunk.

I know what you were implying about the designers having a blank canvas to begin with so they can design more effectively. However, it doesn't get away from the fact that more suite guests would require more suite space. Which also then leads on to whether suite guests would be happy suddenly having more pax in their area than currently occurs. Remember all the posts when lowly Sky Suite pax were suddenly welcomed into Michael's Club, and it was gong to be overcrowded :rolleyes: - same sort of principle - it becomes less 'exclusive'. Perhaps X will split the suite dining areas to 'upper level' in one dining room and 'lower level' suites in another? Or perhaps like RCL, only allow the lower level suites in on a set number of nights and not for the duration of the whole cruise - so saving on space in that segregated area? There are so many alternatives X could consider with a blank canvas ;).

As I mentioned previously, until we actually see the design, it's very difficult to comment as it's all speculation. What resonates more is we appear to be going full circle. For the last 40+ years we've wanted to break down walls (Berlin), open borders (Europe), stop segregation (SA) and make the world open to more (even on cruise ships whole decks were not restricted to the few as they were trying to escape from the perception of the old ocean liners' class clientele).

Now we are reversing it all: building walls (Trump & Mexico), closing borders (Brexit), segregation of whole decks on mass line cruise ships (The Haven etc.), - I know some will say one shouldn't highlight and compare cruise ships against all those far more important issues, but that's often how it filters through. Not saying what's right or wrong, just pointing out the facts.

TFLG, you are correct: money will be the deciding factor - as is always the case.

Which is what I was stating: that extra room in the MDR (for all guests presently) has now been used by the extra suite dining area, so the suite area has grown and the general pax use has shrunk.

I know what you were implying about the designers having a blank canvas to begin with so they can design more effectively. However, it doesn't get away from the fact that more suite guests would require more suite space. Which also then leads on to whether suite guests would be happy suddenly having more pax in their area than currently occurs. Remember all the posts when lowly Sky Suite pax were suddenly welcomed into Michael's Club, and it was gong to be overcrowded :rolleyes: - same sort of principle - it becomes less 'exclusive'. Perhaps X will split the suite dining areas to 'upper level' in one dining room and 'lower level' suites in another? Or perhaps like RCL, only allow the lower level suites in on a set number of nights and not for the duration of the whole cruise - so saving on space in that segregated area? There are so many alternatives X could consider with a blank canvas ;).

As I mentioned previously, until we actually see the design, it's very difficult to comment as it's all speculation. What resonates more is we appear to be going full circle. For the last 40+ years we've wanted to break down walls (Berlin), open borders (Europe), stop segregation (SA) and make the world open to more (even on cruise ships whole decks were not restricted to the few as they were trying to escape from the perception of the old ocean liners' class clientele).

Now we are reversing it all: building walls (Trump & Mexico), closing borders (Brexit), segregation of whole decks on mass line cruise ships (The Haven etc.), - I know some will say one shouldn't highlight and compare cruise ships against all those far more important issues, but that's often how it filters through. Not saying what's right or wrong, just pointing out the facts.

TFLG, you are correct: money will be the deciding factor - as is always the case.

The world is changing,factories outsourcing just to get higher profit margin and better for the investors.

If they find suites cabins bring in better revenue they will find way to attract those customers.

Having slogged though most of the comments and these are the 2 comments that stand out .

In short these new ships will have a less space per customer ratio. I also wonder about the customer staff ratio's .The marketing nabobs can prattle on about unprecedented levels of luxury but talk is just talk .

Back early in this thread I stated it's bigger than M class and smaller than S class. I based that solely on size and the Celebrity press release, nothing else and I was answering someone's question. I was not trying to do any marketing, just answering a question asked and all of a sudden it's hype. Really getting difficult on this board to answer questions since people then say things you never said.

I do agree MC is at a very poor location and is always under used by Suite guests.

Celebrity may already have idea to redesign the Mc to a better location on the new ship pretty much follow the design of Harmony Of The Sea on Royal Caribbean.

That will be part of Modern Luxury selling point.

Actually, MC already has a great location. The Ensemble Bar (located in the exact same location) is packed every evening from 4:30 PM to 10 PM. MC simply has a terrible seating layout. The layout is not conducive to those who want to interact with their fellow cruisers. MC is just fine for a single or a couple, who want to have a drink by themselves - but that is not what most of us are looking for in a "club". We want to meet, and interact with other guests. Royal has a wonderful layout in their Concierge Lounges - the Royal problem is they offer Concierge access to far too many passengers - the resulting overcrowding diminishes the value of their Concierge Lounge.

My fear is that everything will be designed to squeeze more money out of us.

Agreed. Although there most likely won't be any loss of space to non-suite guests, the above is where there may be losses. Fewer 'inclusive' things and more extra things - just like the 'sanctuary' and the cabanas on some ships. That would be the only thing I'd be concerned about.

Heheh, well, "I promise you've never seen anything like this, on a cruise ship or, actually, anywhere,' Berkus said." sounds VERY promising for that! :D
:D
Some of you are just amazing. Why not just enjoy the fact that there's a whole new generation of X cruiseships coming? :)

Perhaps the hype is too much . It's only a new series of ships from a megacorp. I don't get that excited when I hear about a new car model coming or a new restaurant or a tennis shoe . I'm fine if you do .

Back early in this thread I stated it's bigger than M class and smaller than S class. I based that solely on size and the Celebrity press release, nothing else and I was answering someone's question. I was not trying to do any marketing, just answering a question asked and all of a sudden it's hype. Really getting difficult on this board to answer questions since people then say things you never said.
I never quoted you but do agree with those I quoted .Sorry if it's difficult .

:D

Perhaps the hype is too much . It's only a new series of ships from a megacorp. I don't get that excited when I hear about a new car model coming or a new restaurant or a tennis shoe . I'm fine if you do .

I never quoted you but do agree with those I quoted .Sorry if it's difficult .

Sorry if I jumped on you but back early in the thread I was berated by some for saying that when all I did was answer a question. Just trying to get that out again.

While everyone is speculating, there is one thing that is nailed on

There will be a dedicated area including pool, club, cabanas etc., for Suite guests, where the rest of guests are not allowed

This has been very successful for other liens and MSC are making a massive deal of it when they launch their new ship later this year

While everyone is speculating, there is one thing that is nailed on

There will be a dedicated area including pool, club, cabanas etc., for Suite guests, where the rest of guests are not allowed

This has been very successful for other liens and MSC are making a massive deal of it when they launch their new ship later this year

"Nailed" as in speculated upon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why do some people get so focused on space for suite guests vs non-suite guests? Celebrity as all other lines sell cabins in low-medium-high price ranges whatever the cruise market will support. It is a business. The design of the ship will support the business and maximize profit. If you want to pay a lot extra for a suite and its perks - what is wrong with that? It does not make the cruise of the non-suite guest any less enjoyable.

It does not make the cruise of the non-suite guest any less enjoyable.

That is making a huge assumption. Anyone who doesn't think that the experience for non-suite passengers has deteriorated while suite experience has improved is living in a dream world. And that is speaking as a someone who has sailed in suites 4 out of the last 6 cruises.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

That is making a huge assumption. Anyone who doesn't think that the experience for non-suite passengers has deteriorated while suite experience has improved is living in a dream world. And that is speaking as a someone who has sailed in suites 4 out of the last 6 cruises.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Fully agree . This is a zero sum game and to pretend otherwise is disingenuous . The gains in space reserved for the suite guests have come from general space enjoyed by all . This includes space in new ships . You do not magically "create" space . To believe that that since this reserved space never existed , it can't be taken away is a half-truth. Especially so as it seems the space per passenger will be reduced .

Having said this , Celebrity is entitled to cater to the 5% (or whatever) at the expense of the rest . Just don't, in the words of Judge Judy , "pee on my leg and tell me it's raining ".

Yep, everything is indeed rumour!

It's interesting how people are commenting on the lack of a 14 day Caribbean itinerary though. Could Edge fill that void?

One thing you can guarantee is that Celebrity will choose itineraries that they believe will earn them the most revenue.

Why do some people get so focused on space for suite guests vs non-suite guests? Celebrity as all other lines sell cabins in low-medium-high price ranges whatever the cruise market will support. It is a business. The design of the ship will support the business and maximize profit. If you want to pay a lot extra for a suite and its perks - what is wrong with that? It does not make the cruise of the non-suite guest any less enjoyable.

No it doesn't. If Edge had increased square footage per crew member to improve conditions for them, would we see people complaining about that? :)

Being a little lazy here not doing the research myself.

Can you tell me what you know so far about Edge? Is this going to be the largest ship in Celebrity's fleet? What will set this ship apart from their others? (Please don't let it be bumper cars.)

Approximate size is about 117K tons. So this is between the Millennium & Solstice class. I think the plan is to target amore upscale cruise lines like Oceania/Viking.

Fully agree . This is a zero sum game and to pretend otherwise is disingenuous . The gains in space reserved for the suite guests have come from general space enjoyed by all . This includes space in new ships . You do not magically "create" space . To believe that that since this reserved space never existed , it can't be taken away is a half-truth. Especially so as it seems the space per passenger will be reduced .

Having said this , Celebrity is entitled to cater to the 5% (or whatever) at the expense of the rest . Just don't, in the words of Judge Judy , "pee on my leg and tell me it's raining ".

Nice observation. The last Solstice class, Reflection, added a few feet onto the aft of the ship, adding cabins and suites. The Sky Lounge was cut in half to have space for Reflection suites, as I recall. I'd seen one during a cabin crawl in 2014, and it was fantastic. A bit pricey for my cruise wallet, but they sell out. I wasn't offended by the luxury. Or the cost.

Nice observation. The last Solstice class, Reflection, added a few feet onto the aft of the ship, adding cabins and suites. The Sky Lounge was cut in half to have space for Reflection suites, as I recall. I'd seen one during a cabin crawl in 2014, and it was fantastic. A bit pricey for my cruise wallet, but they sell out. I wasn't offended by the luxury. Or the cost.

But it came at a cost for reg pax....who might have enjoyed a larger upstairs lounge with panaromic views as they have on the other S class ships...

And for awhile when the extra suites were AQ class suites, it made BLU overcrowded. Hope they design something that will be great for everyone!

They used to cater to top loyalty tiers...now very few Zenith and they cater to suite pax who pay... better business sense to that...