Favorite Moment of Any Cruise

Russterus

What a great thread! I think one of my favorite parts of the cruise is the moment I step onto a Celebrity ship and I hear a very friendly "Welcome aboard" as they hand me a glass of champagne. There are so many other highlights--sitting on the balcony in the early morning or late at night, cruising into a new port and taking it all in as I watch the early morning activity in port, wondering what's in store for me/us that day. We've never had a bad cruise, and that's why we keep booking the next adventure.

What is your favorite moment of any cruise? I know, hard to pick one, but for me it is simple.

After boarding and before muster, sometime after rooms have been released, I love to take about 15-20 minutes out and just sit on my balcony, wine glass in hand and melt. After the stress of travel and onboarding, and the excitement of a first exploration of the ship, nothing is better. Like many of you, I work a high stress job. That little point for me is where I feel my vacation really starts, that I can relax with no greater decision ahead than; shall I have escargot or a crab cake for my starter tonight? For me, it is literally a physical sensation where all my stress melts away and feels so good!

That's my favorite, although what comes after is great. What's yours?

Stepping ABOARD, and hearing that 'security ding' of the deck 4 kiosk and a very close 2nd is that underway HORN !! And we begin sailing. Then I know for SURE our vacation cruise has truly started !! Then, on the last night, sadly I realize it's time to return to the 'real world'. BUT! for a brief time I was in a glorious limbo. Just as I know all cruise 'addicts' are. Until the next time.. :))))

Mac

My most favorite moment was on the Reflection. We had an overnight in Istanbul.

The next morning we were awakened before sunrise by the voice of a man calling the faithful to prayer. We opened the veranda door and saw the minarets of the Mosques all around us lit up in the darkness. The stars were shining and a quarter of the Moon could be seen.

It was magical.

You stole my story! We were on Equinox in 2012. We awakened to the sound of the morning call to prayer; went out on our balcony to be greeted by the glowing minarets of the mosques along the blackness of the Bosporus. It certainly was magical.

One recurring favorite cruise moment is to stand at our balcony rail & just watch the vast ocean slip by with no noise but the solitude of the sea.

OP, thanks for starting this thread. Very refreshing.

Edited by richsea

The best part is as you walk up the gangway to board the ship for the first time. Its all ahead of you, with a new ship to explore :)

The worst is when you put the bags outside your door on the final night, and realize its almost over.:(

Exactly my thoughts! :)

So many"magic moments" on each cruise, which is why we love it so and cruise so much! My wife and I agree that the most "memorable magic moment" is the times we cruise with newbies that we are introducing to the cruising. That very moment when they step into the atrium lobby for the first time right after boarding. We watch for that child-like delight on their faces and the awe that this is all on a ship, not a land based hotel! While they endeavor to soak it all in! Then my wife and I re-live our first time having this most remarkable of experiences. She always says: "making memories," and we do!

What is your favorite moment of any cruise?

Appreciate this great topic and the many wonderful comments and sharing that has been done. Below are some visuals representing some of our best highlights. Much of our interests focus are about the "ports & places"!!! The cruise, ship, food, staff, etc., are all very nice and important. BUT, our top priority is for where in the world we will be seeking to gain more unique experiences, sights, enjoyment, etc.

UPCOMING?: In late February, we are doing a 15-day Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco sailing that goes through the Panama Canal and will give us our first visits in Colombia, Central American and Mexico. Plus, seeing the musical “Hamilton” in the Golden Gate City after the end of our cruise. In mid June, we are doing an 11-day Lisbon to Rouen sailing that has lots of great stops in Portugal, Spain and France. That includes much, in-depth, for Bordeaux and Brittany. Then, in just over a year from now, we will be starting in Hong Kong, then doing Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City before boarding a seven-day Mekong River cruise up through Vietnam and Cambodia. This early 2018 SE Asia adventure will finish with time in Angkor Wat and then going by air to northern Laos and Bangkok. From those experienced in these areas we will be visiting for the first time, I look forward to any insights, tips, suggestions and special “secrets”.

Our bottom line is to keep exploring, learning and enjoying the world. That's a key plus and reason for doing such cruises and especially the trips/time before and after the actual ship sailings.

Some are happy to just "float on a boat" in the Caribbean or Med. For us, HOWEVER, we seek much MORE!! That's our approach, success and desire. Fortunately, everyone can make their own choices and have so many good options available.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 166,050 views for this posting.

The Solarium was one of our most favorite areas on these Celebrity ships. Food and drinks were nearby and it was very relaxed and sophisticated. Quieter, too, as it is an adults-only area. Two hot tubs here. Not crowded, especially in the evenings. Nice art and design with this facility. Wonderful setting for relaxing and watching the outside water/shore views, enjoying subtle inside action, etc. Like this kind of style and "class" on a ship.:

SolsticeSolariumSunnyDay.jpg

Here is a picture from our New Zealand South Island JetBoat ride that my wife loved so much. From Akaroa, we did a combination ship excursion that included both the rail trip to the mountains/National Park, plus JetBoat. Notice her hands and those of others in our row super tightly gripping the safety bar? That says so much about the speed and thrills while roaring up and down this amazing stretch of scenic river. We've had lots of great moments on this trip, but one was a unique and special ride in a location that is spectacularly world-class near the NZ Southern Alps. And, perfect weather with good friends adds to the great joy!!:

JetBoatOne1_zpscafe58a3.jpg

While stopped at Santarem along the amazing Amazon River, we had our charter/private boat arranged in advance. We headed into the back-water Amazon regions in search of nature, wildlife, unique scenery, etc. Our boat was fairly small, but with a powerful engine and covered to shade us from the harsh sun. Our skilled Amazon guide Gil Serique was on the look-out for birds, unique views and nature action. Our driver got us through very shallow and challenging areas. We saw lots of special birds, unique animals, flowers, giant water lilies, etc., during this adventure exploration.:

FebAmazPixA14%201_zpswzwufcpx.jpg

This one visual says it all for the "Indiana Jones" experience we were enjoying as if we were in search of some South American hidden treasure during our hiking in this remote wilderness area about 60 miles north of Manus. Lots of varied nature views and scenic angles, etc., during this walk in the actual Amazon jungle.:

FebAmazRainForA25_zpsvglzgamz.jpg

From our group's Bay of Islands water fun, we got to do real sailing, including going out into the nearby Pacific Ocean! See the proof and success below. It was both a perfect weather day and such fun sampling this great region of northern New Zealand. One of the options for those in our Central Ohio group on this custom, private sailing was to help to do as much (or as little as desired) in helping make this sail experience happen. Here you can see Captain Murray guiding the ship from this great vantage point on the back of the Zindabar. Was this exciting and scenic for our group?:

BayOfIslandsA14_zps5d841758.jpg

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands of Norway on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground. Love being on the back of a nice ship when sailing through spectacular fjords, departing such great setting as above, etc.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

OP described it perfectly. But my very favorite memory (so far, only having done 3 cruises :D:D) was our sailaway beneath the Golden Gate Bridge in SF - had tears in my eyes - it was so beautiful. Just love that city so much. To sail beneath it and know there was still so much fun yet to come was wonderful.

Edited by Flafun888

One very special moment was on our first Celebrity cruise to Alaska. Waked out on deck one night just in time to see a whale breach right next to the ship and right in front of us. No one else around. We had missed a whale watching excursion planned for that afternoon due to the ship's late arrival to Juneau due to an emergency medical evacuation of a fellow passenger. Excursion cancelled. But a very special treat that only we experienced.

Edited by Luvcrusn

My very favorite memory (so far, only having done 3 cruises) was our sailaway beneath the Golden Gate Bridge in SF - had tears in my eyes - it was so beautiful. Just love that city so much. To sail beneath it and know there was still so much fun yet to come was wonderful.

Appreciate this great reminder about the wonder and beauty of sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. Early on the morning of March 15, we will completing our Panama Canal cruise by arriving in this famed bay area. Need to get up early for that sailing into this scenic location and to get visuals going under this famed bridge.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 46,779 views for these postings.

So many"magic moments" on each cruise, which is why we love it so and cruise so much! My wife and I agree that the most "memorable magic moment" is the times we cruise with newbies that we are introducing to the cruising. That very moment when they step into the atrium lobby for the first time right after boarding. We watch for that child-like delight on their faces and the awe that this is all on a ship, not a land based hotel! While they endeavor to soak it all in! Then my wife and I re-live our first time having this most remarkable of experiences. She always says: "making memories," and we do!

So true. Love going on cruises with first timers. I think back to my first one and how magical it all seemed. I still feel that each time, but of course not to the level of that first one.

Had a chance to read more fully through all of the earlier posts. YES, super loved the story of the golfer approaching the final putt in Scotland. I am not a golfer, but so much enjoyed that spectacular story. Wonderful sharing!!! Many more excellent points have been made on this thread.

Here are a few more great cruise and related experiences from my photo files. I believe a nice photo is worth a thousand words!! Right or wrong?

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 46,779 views for these postings.

Here is one of our Cruise Critic group, Mike from Miami, capturing some other Cruise Critic group (good folks from Kansas and South Carolina) during our spectacular sail-away party at the Sunset Bar on the magical 15th level of the Solstice. Such a wonderful location to soak up the spectacular sights during this sail-away. Sail-aways are one of my super favorites on cruises, especially in scenic and interesting parts of the world.:

SydneyDepartSolstice9_zps1cd6db7a.jpg

From having our final breakfast outside on the back of the Celebrity Solstice at the Oceanview Cafe, here was our view of Auckland's historic Ferry Building, plus some other key downtown buildings. We love having our morning breakfast in an open, scenic setting on the back of the ship. This final docking was somewhat bitter-sweet after this 14-day cruise. BUT, fortunately, we had two days in scenic Auckland and then had time on Hawaii's Big Island to break up the long trip back to the Midwest.:

AucklandArtOneA27_zps83c1d4c3.jpg

Speciality dining can be fun and interesting. Here in Tuscan Grille on the Solstice in January 2014 while sailing from Australia to New Zealand, we started with a nice glass of sparkling Italian wine (Prosecco Spumanti). Fun, especially as the glass kept being re-filled!! But, the best is always saved for last . . . a nicely designed and super tasting of this Italian favorite, Tiramisu. I also had some Limoncello to top off the dining delights. Did we like it all? Absolutely!!:

TuscanampBridge1_zps179efed3.jpg

TuscanampBridge14_zps6b5518d2.jpg

Super loved it when there were times at the pool in the afternoons on the Solstice in June 2011 when the “party band” was going at it with great tunes. This added to the fun and excitement around the pool area of our ship. Just like done by some famous California pop groups, we were hearing “fun, fun, fun” underneath the sun!!:

SolsticePartyBandAtPool.jpg

After having Colorado Rack of Lamb at dinner on the way to Manaus on the Amazon River, here was a small sample of the Voices of Silversea performing their evening program. This night, they had more elaborate costumes, stage settings. It is not Broadway or the West End of London, but it works well for me on a smaller ship to have had these varied programs where you can get "up close and personal". Plus, being able to chat with and get to know the performers on the ship, while they are traveling with us during excursions, etc.:

FebAmazPixBB27_zpsrnbtd4to.jpg

Definitely agree with others that first walking on to the ship and receiving that welcome glass of bubbly, exploring the ship at the crack of dawn, and sitting on our balcony watching the world go by are wonderful memories that help keep us cruising.

But also, there are several specific memories that stick out as extra special:

1. As someone else said, the sail-away out of Venice. We were out on the helipad. Amazing views.

2. Docking in Adelaide, Australia with their welcoming bush band playing. Luckily our veranda was on that side. What a fantastic way to start a day!

3. On a river cruise in Myanmar we were treated to an excursion to witness a beautiful sunset while being rowed around a lovely lake. What made it so special was just at sundown the surprise of our tour guides rowing up to each of our boats with a glass of champagne. Again, a memory that sticks in our minds.

I am sure there will be other memories that will come to mind right after I hit the Reply button.

Right now I am enjoying my other favorite experience of cruising, the planning and anticipation of the next one.

Two things I love: the back deck for breakfast. I love just sitting there, having coffee and looking out, at my leisure.

The next is leaving NY Harbor, and seeing the skyline, the Statue, and passing this close to the Verrazano Bridge, which I watched being built.

• 1 month later...
The moment I walk on the ship, right after check in because I know I'm officially on a cruise and everything worked out.

I was just having this discussion with my daughter. We'll be sailing on Reflection soon! That feeling when you're at the hotel the night before, putting the luggage tags on all your bags. Arriving at the port and seeing the ship for the first time. Boarding the ship...the ding of your sea pass...exploring the ship with a glass of bubbly in hand. :hearteyes:

Enjoying everyone's responses as it adds to my anticipation of many of these moments in our upcoming cruise on Reflection in May. In general, 3 stand out for me: the first early morning exploratory tour of a ship whens it's mostly just you and the crew, the vibe on the ship as people settle in for their pre-dinner cocktails (especially on Formal nights), and early morning approaches to your next port (the attached picture is our approach to Mykonos at sunrise, definitely worth being up at 5 am.)

However, my most favorite was when we cruised French Polynesia aboard the Paul Gaughuin. After cruising overnight, I awoke the morning of my birthday, opened the curtains and was greeted to a panoramic view of Bora Bora as we were anchored in the lagoon. Living in the Upper Midwest and having a March birthday, often the best I can hope for is a sunny and mildly chilly day on my birthday, so awakening to a tropical paradise was an obvious best ever birthday setting!!!

DSC01934.jpg.6e8f1be78aa271177746a216fb71abfe.jpg