ms Nieuw Amsterdam Port Everglades and ms Oosterdam Tampa Sail-Aways January 6, 2017

Boytjie

This is so heartbreaking.

We flew Delta from Atlanta into FLL last month and inlaws are scheduled to this Sunday.

I am confused at the amount of people stuck at the airport who are cruising today. If this happened at 1:30, they were really calling it close. Do so many arrive in the afternoon and make the ship? Or were they delayed because of weather and maybe it saved their lives?

They just said it began at 12:55pm... earlier than I thought! But I thought the same thing... were people still arriving for today's cruise departures? I guess some were. Not my style. Maybe they were delayed due to the storm in the northern tier of the country?

I hope they get to catch up to their ships but that is not easy, nor is turning around to go home. m--

Edited by RMLincoln
Correction on time of incident.

They just said it began at 12:55pm... earlier than I thought! But I thought the same thing... were people still arriving for today's cruise departures? I guess some were.
I don't like to fly the day of sailing either, but sometimes people get booked on flights the same day with air purchased through the cruise lines. Passengers need to understand what doing so entails since the cruise lines have different policies if problems arise.

This is so heartbreaking.

We flew Delta from Atlanta into FLL last month and inlaws are scheduled to this Sunday.

I am confused at the amount of people stuck at the airport who are cruising today. If this happened at 1:30, they were really calling it close. Do so many arrive in the afternoon and make the ship? Or were they delayed because of weather and maybe it saved their lives?

They were holding some at the airport for questioning as witnesses according to other news sources. They also were not letting transportation in to get people out of there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wouldn't drive from Boston, especially in the winter months. I-95 can already be a mess. Just think what a little snow around Baltimore, Washington, and Richmond would do to it.

We were considering driving from Raleigh next month but I booked a flight this week.

I've been following along quietly since not much going on on the cam, did see Princess leave a few minutes ago.

Anyway, I just want to concur with geoherb on this. I'm from CT so very familiar with the drive from the RI border down to south of DC. Actually doing it next week, exhausting. This morning in the DC area we had approximately zero snow (a dusting or less in the immediate area) and there was a massive truck accident that closed three out of four lanes of 95 south halfway between Baltimore and DC for a few hours during morning rush. The DC beltway is always a crapshoot. And 95 in virginia down to richmond is usually a hot mess any day of the week at almost every time of day. We are expecting snow overnight with higher accumulations to the south of DC. I promise you, people in this area cannot drive in rain, never mind snow. Personally, I'd avoid making that drive if at all possible. If your flight is cancelled, can you maybe do Amtrak to NYC and then hop the train to Miami? Or drive as far south as Lorton, VA and take the Autotrain to Sanford, FL and drive the rest of the way to FLL? Just a thought.

Is the NA still docked? Haven't been able to see it on the webcam.

Yes. If you scroll down from the webcam view, there's a map on the left showing the port traffic. If you zoom in to FLL, there's a long blue ship in port, that's NA. You can hover your cursor over any of the boat/ship icons to identify. I prefer vesselfinder, but it's the same idea.

They are still there. Wonder what is going on?

There have been a lot of buses circling through there, and NA no longer has the walkway up, maybe they are doing some kind of processing there - being under the same corporate umbrella. Though I haven't seen any buses pulling up to NA.

Yes. If you scroll down from the webcam view, there's a map on the left showing the port traffic. If you zoom in to FLL, there's a long blue ship in port, that's NA. You can hover your cursor over any of the boat/ship icons to identify. I prefer vesselfinder, but it's the same idea.

If you have PTZtv Premium there is no map.