ms Nieuw Amsterdam Port Everglades and ms Oosterdam Tampa Sail-Aways January 6, 2017

Boytjie

We are still here. The folks that went through this today deserve to go on this cruise. We commend Hal for waiting.

No ship board announcements. Many are sleeping. Good nite from the MS Nieuw Amsterdam.

Thrusters just came on we are moving.

Edited by aliaschief

There is in the drop-down menu - 'marine traffic'.

Thanks, will try that. Haven't had the marine map in ages on there.

Edited to add: Darn, didn't work for me, no options in the drop down menu for marine traffic.

Edited by Lizzie68

We always fly in 3 days prior. Are scheduled to fly from Boston to Tampa on 01/31 for our Oosterdam cruise on 02/03. With winter weather and this airport disaster, I'm rethinking: Should we attempt to drive the 24 hour trip to Tampa? Will check the cancellation policy on our JetBlue flight tomorrow.

I wouldn't drive from Boston, especially in the winter months. I-95 can already be a mess. Just think what a little snow around Baltimore, Washington, and Richmond would do to it.

We were considering driving from Raleigh next month but I booked a flight this week.

On a couple of our cruises we had some bad storms affect air travel and we know people that opted to drive from New York and New Jersey to get to Florida.

The most recent was in 2014 where a blizzard hit the New York area two or three days before the cruise. A friend's flight was cancelled and he drove (by himself) starting the morning after it stopped snowing. He did not encounter major delays or highways in bad driving conditions. I think he was lucky. He made it in time to park his car at our hotel in Ft. Lauderdale and get on the shuttle bus to Miami with us. Then he had to drive back at the end of the cruise.... but he had good weather.

For this cruise my DH and I were booked on one of the last flights out of JFK before they shut it down. We had some nail biting time because our flight was held due to storms in Ft. Lauderdale - and the pilots were getting close to timing out if the delay went to long. They did not think another crew would be available to replace them. But we made it out!

In 2010 we had a flight booked a few days prior to the cruise but then a blizzard was expected to hit the day we left. I kept checking jetBlue's website during the Super Bowl to see if we could switch to an earlier flight. Eventually they announce on the website that we could make changes without penalty so I called right away. The person helping me did not even see it in the system yet and I think I may have emailed her a screen shot. Before long we had switched to a flight one day earlier; I had to make arrangements to work remotely from Florida for one day and we had to pack faster.

Would I recommend that you drive? Not really. You have no idea what the whether may be like: it may be fine or you may end up driving through a blizzard. I would say you should be OK if you fly three days early and it there is a potential for weather problems (and you have flexibility) change your flight to earlier. jetBlue is good at allowing changes - they want to get people to their destination and not get affected by cancellations if it can be avoided.