ms Nieuw Amsterdam Port Everglades and ms Oosterdam Tampa Sail-Aways January 6, 2017

Boytjie

Just my very humble opinion, but I hope HAL and Princess step up to the plate and give anyone stranded at the airport another cruise at no cost if they were supposed to sail today and can't get the ship on time.

I'm not really sure what will happen to people who even have insurance - this may not be covered, but it would be a smart PR move, (and the right thing to do), if Carnival Corp takes care of these folks.

Yes, it would be the right thing to do. But, the cruise lines don't always seem to feel that way.

Very thankful. Another client of our PCC wasn't so lucky, she was one of the fatalities. :(

We're driving ourselves instead of taking the bus, Alaska picked up the tab. Our cruise isn't until Sunday, very glad we came out early.

Another friend who flew in today was there when it happened, but in a different baggage terminal.

Sad, sad day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am so very sorry to hear that. These poor people.....

Carnival dispatched their care team to Fort Lauderdale Airport to help people who got off the Victory in Miami find somewhere to stay or a way home. The Conquest comes in tomorrow morning and they're working on arrangements because a bunch of airlines cancelled flights already. No word on what HAL is doing, but since CCL HQ is down here, I assume that they have something in the works.

Sounds like 2300 departure now.

Just heard Harbor Master say NA now at 2300 hrs or 11:00 pm Local time

Joanie

Anybody understand why, are they waiting for PAX or security clearance from the port?

We'll see if princess moves at 9pm

m--

Anybody understand why, are they waiting for PAX or security clearance from the port?

We'll see if princess moves at 9pm

m--

Just now as I started typing this someone said something about 200 passengers still at airport. Seems like a high number to me, but what do I know.

Joanie

security clearance from the port?

m--

Cargo ships have been coming and going all afternoon so the port can't be closed. It sounds to me like they are hoping people will be able to get from the FLL airport or surrounding airports where planes were diverted.

Definitely reinforces the "do not fly in the day of" concept. Can you imagine starting a cruise after the harrowing experience of the FLL airport today!

Sounds to me like they are choosing to wait for missing pax, not being held in port due to security.

The ripple effect of this incident will last for days... canceled flights in, out, and how long with the airport be closed? People busing in , driving rental cars, couldn't get back home if they wanted to due to winter storms... oh my. How difficult, and not forgetting tragic. I do hope those in need can feel our support and caring. m--

Cargo ships have been coming and going all afternoon so the port can't be closed. It sounds to me like they are hoping people will be able to get from the FLL airport or surrounding airports where planes were diverted.

Definitely reinforces the "do not fly in the day of" concept. Can you imagine starting a cruise after the harrowing experience of the FLL airport today!

The roads to the port were indeed closed. They've reopened the roads now.

Posting together :)

We always fly in 3 days prior. Are scheduled to fly from Boston to Tampa on 01/31 for our Oosterdam cruise on 02/03. With winter weather and this airport disaster, I'm rethinking: Should we attempt to drive the 24 hour trip to Tampa? Will check the cancellation policy on our JetBlue flight tomorrow.

Edited by innlady1

This is so heartbreaking.

We flew Delta from Atlanta into FLL last month and inlaws are scheduled to this Sunday.

I am confused at the amount of people stuck at the airport who are cruising today. If this happened at 1:30, they were really calling it close. Do so many arrive in the afternoon and make the ship? Or were they delayed because of weather and maybe it saved their lives?

For some reason it seems like a number of people who get the cruise line to book flights allow them to book "day of". Not sure if that is what they really want or they just don't know better. I cruised with friends (who are not CC members) last fall. They had never thought of going a day or more early!

We always fly in 3 days prior. Are scheduled to fly from Boston to Tampa on 01/31 for our Oosterdam cruise on 02/03. With winter weather and this airport disaster, I'm rethinking: Should we attempt to drive the 24 hour trip to Tampa? Will check the cancellation policy on our JetBlue flight tomorrow.
I wouldn't drive from Boston, especially in the winter months. I-95 can already be a mess. Just think what a little snow around Baltimore, Washington, and Richmond would do to it.

We were considering driving from Raleigh next month but I booked a flight this week.

Well I have to sign off for tonight.

Prayers for those who have died and their families that have to face their losses.

Hopefully those who will miss their cruises will get help from their insurance companies as this was not something they had planned on happening.

Hope not too many people will miss their cruises tomorrow.

So Sad!!:(:(