ms Nieuw Amsterdam Port Everglades and ms Oosterdam Tampa Sail-Aways January 6, 2017

Boytjie

They just said on CBS that Air Canada has said they have no passenger listed with the name of the shooter, and no record of any checked weapons. I think at one time it was announced that the man had arrived on an Air Canada flight.

Why change the rule? He can just walk with the gun inside the suitcase into baggage area and open fire at his local airport. Need more mental screening not new gun laws.

Not if the area is sealed off in a secure manner as in other airports in other countries.

Where I live, guns are not a big thing. They are permitted for hunting, etc. But not in checked luggage and everyone does not have the "right" to bear arms.

I kind of like it that way ;). But, it's what I am used to ;)

I wonder if there are webcams at the individual ports, as well.

Look at the bottom of Lou and Dave's webcam page. There is a growing list. When they first began several years ago, it was just Fort Lauderdale and Port Everglades.

FWIW, the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 would prohibit Air Canada from carrying any passenger from Anchorage to Ft. Lauderdale. So if Air Canada is the airline, origin of the passenger could not have been Anchorage.

Edited by bUU

FWIW, the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 would prohibit Air Canada from carrying any passenger from Anchorage to Ft. Lauderdale. So if Air Canada is the airline, origin of the passenger could not have been Anchorage.

Air Canada has denied they had the passenger but nevertheless,

Are you saying that a person can't fly from say Anchorage to Toronto and get a connecting Air Canada flight to Fort Lauderdale?

I do connections all the time with A/C and then Lufthanza for example.

I thought you could connect with any Star Alliance member?

Anyways, this discussion is probably better on the other thread about the incident and this one restricted to the sail a ways them selves?

Edited by kazu

They code share through MSP. It's part of the old Northwest Airlines network. I'd be inclined to think that it's a DL flight, but the whole thing is a mess now.

Tampa has a long sail away as the channel heads into Tampa Bay and eventually under the Skyway Bridge. I think some of the chatter is regarding the fact that other ships are not allowed in the channel at the same time as a large cruise ship has the right of way. It is a challenging route for a 82,000 ton ship to maneuver. We did enjoy it back in November when we did it.

Are you saying that a person can't fly from say Anchorage to Toronto and get a connecting Air Canada flight to Fort Lauderdale?
Air Canada cannot sell a ticket from ANC to FLL even if it connects in Canada somewhere. (However, a passenger can buy two airline tickets that does effectively the same thing.) Explicitly, Air Canada doesn't offer service from ANC to FLL: "No results found matching your criteria."

I do connections all the time with A/C and then Lufthanza for example.
The issue is origin and destination both within the United States.

No foreign vessels shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port, under a penalty of $200 (now $300) for each passenger so transported and landed.

(46 U.S.C. § 55103)

That's why you don't see Ryan Air (for example) carrying passengers from NY to LA.

Edited by bUU

Captain just announced we will sail two hours late. Most pax's are on-board but a few still at airport. Counseling available on-board for those who were directely involved.

Must in a few minutes.

Oh Chief - that is so good that there is counselling on board for those that have been through this. It's been a stressful time for everyone - even those not injured. That's really well done on the ship's part IMO.

Hope you are able to sail at 6 pm. Have a great cruise :)

Our friends from WA, Cruising-along on CC, was diverted to Orlando and are being bussed to FLL. They just arrived and have been told that the busses won't leave for 3 hours and it is another 3 hour trip...

Our friends from WA, Cruising-along on CC, was diverted to Orlando and are being bussed to FLL. They just arrived and have been told that the busses won't leave for 3 hours and it is another 3 hour trip...

Better that than to be gunned down at FLL on the way to taking a cruise. I'm sure that thought has gone through their heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk