Seattle lodging

Scott531

My wife and I are taking our first ever cruise to Alaska in mid June. We are flying in to Seatac the night before departure and are looking for a decent place to spend the night near the airport. We need a hotel with a shuttle as we will be returning to the airport on Sunday to use the transfers we purchased from Princess. We are considering the Red Roof Inn at the moment. Any advice? Thank you.

My wife and I are taking our first ever cruise to Alaska in mid June. We are flying in to Seatac the night before departure and are looking for a decent place to spend the night near the airport. We need a hotel with a shuttle as we will be returning to the airport on Sunday to use the transfers we purchased from Princess. We are considering the Red Roof Inn at the moment. Any advice? Thank you.

Not near the airport but the Stadium location and the Lake Union location will take you too the pier. (91)

Great hotels.

https://www.silvercloud.com/

Our Alaska cruisetour is this May.

We have reservations at Crown Plaza-SeaTac. They have shuttle service from SeaTac 24/7 to the hotel or one can walk to the hotel via catwalk to my understanding. There is also a restaurant on location with breakfast buffet to pay on your own or included with a room (cheaper this way).

If you have time Light rail will take you towards the city for sights. Jjust out the doorway of this hotel.

Enjoy your Alaska trip. This is our 2nd go round.

Sandra :)

Edited by nanabananna

How much did you pay Princess for the transfers? Ground transport from SeaTac to Seattle proper is about $45; one of those government regulated prices which all cabs, Ubers and Lyfts charge. Since you will be leaving the airport to lodge and then apparently going back to the airport, you may be money and time head to avoid the airport transfer option and just take a cab, Uber or Lyft from the hotel directly to the pier. On your return from Alaska, you can use your Princess transfers to get back to SeaTac. There is no reason that you can't come into Seattle a day before and arrange your own transportation and then use Princess' transfers back to the airport when you are done with the cruise.

Another option is to take transportation from SeaTac to a Seattle city hotel and then get a cab, Uber or Lyft from the hotel to the pier. Some of the Seattle City hotels will even shuttle you to the pier if you arrange that before hand with them.

Something also to consider, hotel prices in Seattle are higher than hotel prices south of Seattle, near Seatac or in neighboring Renton. Part of that is Seattle lodging taxes and part of it is that the higher end hotels are in Seattle proper. The hotels in Seatac are your typical airport hotels, although there are some very respectable names in Seatac; Hilton, Double Tree, Sheraton, etc. The Hotels in Seattle are more along the lines of the Westin, W, Monaco, Fairmont Olympic, etc. And Seattle has a lot of boutique hotels, like Hotel 5, Heathman, Andra.

You'll have more fun and get a better taste of Seattle if you stay overnight in Seattle, maybe dine at one of the local places, like the Dalia Lounge or Serious Pie. The only food you'll get in Seatac is going to be hotel dining room food and Denny's, with the exception of 13 Coins, which is very good. But you can also find 13 Coins in Seattle.

We were at Crowne Plaza Seattle Airport last week and loved the hotel. Right directly across from the airport, the lobby was beautiful and our room looked new and was very comfortable. I don't know how but our rate was under $100. The airport shuttle leaves every 20 minutes. (Or walk across the overpass right into the airport garage)

Normally I'd recommend eating at the 13 Coins, (open 24 hours) about a 2 block walk but we were all really unhappy with our food. Only good dish was my grandsons Mac and cheese.

You will love your Alaska cruise (does it go to Glacier Bay?). Spend lots of time out on deck with binoculars and you will see all sorts of sea life. Be sure to take warm jackets. Some of the ports can be cold any time of the year.

How much did you pay Princess for the transfers? Ground transport from SeaTac to Seattle proper is about $45; one of those government regulated prices which all cabs, Ubers and Lyfts charge. Since you will be leaving the airport to lodge and then apparently going back to the airport, you may be money and time head to avoid the airport transfer option and just take a cab, Uber or Lyft from the hotel directly to the pier. On your return from Alaska, you can use your Princess transfers to get back to SeaTac. There is no reason that you can't come into Seattle a day before and arrange your own transportation and then use Princess' transfers back to the airport when you are done with the cruise.

Another option is to take transportation from SeaTac to a Seattle city hotel and then get a cab, Uber or Lyft from the hotel to the pier. Some of the Seattle City hotels will even shuttle you to the pier if you arrange that before hand with them.

Something also to consider, hotel prices in Seattle are higher than hotel prices south of Seattle, near Seatac or in neighboring Renton. Part of that is Seattle lodging taxes and part of it is that the higher end hotels are in Seattle proper. The hotels in Seatac are your typical airport hotels, although there are some very respectable names in Seatac; Hilton, Double Tree, Sheraton, etc. The Hotels in Seattle are more along the lines of the Westin, W, Monaco, Fairmont Olympic, etc. And Seattle has a lot of boutique hotels, like Hotel 5, Heathman, Andra.

You'll have more fun and get a better taste of Seattle if you stay overnight in Seattle, maybe dine at one of the local places, like the Dalia Lounge or Serious Pie. The only food you'll get in Seatac is going to be hotel dining room food and Denny's, with the exception of 13 Coins, which is very good. But you can also find 13 Coins in Seattle.

Our transfers were 47 dollars a person.

We stayed at the Radison which is right by the airport. There's a free shuttle. DH and I walked to the hotel and it was easy. We walked back to the airport to catch our shuttle. Nice hotel. We had a room that backed up to the lake behind the hotel. We would stay there again.

https://www.radisson.com/seattle-hotel-wa-98188/waseatac

I stayed at Sutton Suites last year. Near the airport, free shuttle to/from the airport, hotel and port on both ends of your trip. The price was less than half of the other hotels in Seattle.

It is an older hotel, but it is being refurbished. No elevators, so if you have mobility concerns, make sure the desk knows about it before you check in.

I would happily book there again.

We did Sleep Inn Sea Tac Airport when we did our Alaska cruise in August, 2015. Clean, comfortable rooms, good reviews and an IHOP across the parking lot (Dinner, not great, but fine and if you wanted something else the hotel shuttle would take you to one of several other close by places, no charge, tips appreciated). Breakfast free the next morning (back to IHOP if you don't want the free stuff, but, you will be on a cruise ship in a few hours....how much food do you want pre-cruise??). Stayed here because we reserved the cruise pretty late and most other lodging was sold out. No regrets, the place was fine. Free shuttle from the airport. We took a Seattle Express shuttle to the port the next day. Took the same shuttle service back to the airport from the cruise port on our return (we made reservations in advance). Much better than the Princess shuttle service in our view. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by ar1950

I second Cedarbrook lodge. They have great rooms on lovely grounds and an amazing breakfast is included. They also have a very nice dinner. There is a shuttle that will transfer you to and from the airport.

Ah, the Ceaderbrook, the hidden gem of Seatac accomidations near the airport. I agree with cheeseclan, this would be a very good choice if you stick with the Princess transfer from the airport.

I'm assuming that your Princess transfer is $47/each, one way. Just for comparison purposes, you'll pay about $47 to go from Seatac to Seattle in a cab/Uber/Lyft, so that kind of transport is already half the cost of what Princess is charging. If you can find a competitive room price in Seattle, you could be in the city the night before your cruise, see some sights, have a really nice dinner someplace, and if you book a hotel that is in a good location everything you might want to do in Seattle might be in walking distance. Seattle in June is generally very pleasant, so being out walking about in the evening would be a joy.

Its totally up to you, but when I feel touristy and want to get the Seattle experience I stay downtown. If I'm in Seattle for business or a quick trip in to visit family I will find the least expensive place I can find, which is usually in Renton. Since you are in Seattle to for a vacation, I'd go for the downtown hotel and see some of the sights. By canceling your Princess embarkation day transfer, you can offset some of the cost of lodging downtown.

You're going to have a great time no matter what your choice.

Ah, the Ceaderbrook, the hidden gem of Seatac accomidations near the airport. I agree with cheeseclan, this would be a very good choice if you stick with the Princess transfer from the airport.

I'm assuming that your Princess transfer is $47/each, one way. Just for comparison purposes, you'll pay about $47 to go from Seatac to Seattle in a cab/Uber/Lyft, so that kind of transport is already half the cost of what Princess is charging. If you can find a competitive room price in Seattle, you could be in the city the night before your cruise, see some sights, have a really nice dinner someplace, and if you book a hotel that is in a good location everything you might want to do in Seattle might be in walking distance. Seattle in June is generally very pleasant, so being out walking about in the evening would be a joy.

Its totally up to you, but when I feel touristy and want to get the Seattle experience I stay downtown. If I'm in Seattle for business or a quick trip in to visit family I will find the least expensive place I can find, which is usually in Renton. Since you are in Seattle to for a vacation, I'd go for the downtown hotel and see some of the sights. By canceling your Princess embarkation day transfer, you can offset some of the cost of lodging downtown.

You're going to have a great time no matter what your choice.

The 47 bucks covers transfers roundtrip. Thanks to all for the input and info.

The 47 bucks covers transfers roundtrip. Thanks to all for the input and info.

Actually, that is a really good deal. You can probably scrap just about all of my suggestions considering the economy of the transfer.

Have fun.

We spent three nights at the Cedarbrook Lodge last November and were very pleased. Lovely room, excellent buffet breakfast, excellent restaurant, shuttle service to SEATAC and the airport light rail station. They are situated on over ten acres of land so don't have an "airport hotel" feeling.

I just checked the rates for the Cedarbrook lodge for the middle of June $206.10 to $229.00 a night, it’s tourist time. If you’re just looking for a place to spend the night the Red Roof inn should be Ok for one night. $47 for transfers roundtrip is a pretty good deal.

This is probably off topic but I got curious this morning and decided to price out a very different scenario than the typical "stay at airport to save money" one that comes up again and again on this board. If this doesn't apply to you, skip over it.

What if you want to use your pre-cruise time in the Puget Sound area to experience something more than the very crowded tourist sites in Seattle, like the Pike Place market or the Space Needle? What if you want your vacation to start in stylish surroundings that are a little out of the ordinary?

The discussion of the (excellent) Cedarbrook Lodge above led me to look at another location and plan that might have some appeal to a few cruisers departing from Seattle.

So here's the idea. Ive used Saturday, June 10 to Sunday June 11 as the "test" period, but I suspect you'd get similar results for other 2-day periods during cruise season.

Pick up a rental car on arriving at Seatac, using Alamo or National, since they have a free shuttle from their downtown rental office to the cruise terminals. The all-in daily rate for a compact car for 24h is $68.79.

Drive through Seattle and north on Interstate 5 around to WA Hwy 526, also known as the "Boeing Freeway." You'll travel west on SR526 for around five minutes before a huge building appears next to the freeway. This is the Boeing Everett factory, home of the 747s, 777s and 787s, and it is, in fact, the biggest building in the world. The drive from the airport will take around 40 min. depending on traffic. (I'm assuming a mid-day arrival time, by the way.) Map - https://goo.gl/maps/xvSMeXUDNGv

Just past the main building is a turnoff to the Future of Flight center. This is where tours of the plant begin and end; the tour includes walking to a big elevator which will take you up to a viewing platform above the production lines, where the big jets are all queued up with bits and pieces being fabricated and installed. Then you're put on a bus and driven to the flight line, where numerous planes are parked awaiting testing and delivery. The whole tour lasts around 90 min.

You then return to your car and drive 5-10 min. farther (SR 526 to SR 525) to downtown Mukilteo, where you check in at the Silver Cloud Inn, a very pleasant hotel built on pilings over the Puget Sound waterfront.

Assuming it's afternoon by now, you settle in your room, then head downstairs and walk a couple of minutes past the Mukilteo - Whidbey Island ferry terminal, down to the pretty Mukilteo lighthouse and the adjacent waterfront park, covered in driftwood and with a terrific view of the Olympic Mountains across the Sound.

20140531_3Ha.jpg

After recharging your oxygen levels, walk partway back to the hotel but stop at the Diamond Knot brewpub for a pint of beer that's made on the premises. They do excellent food too.

Back to the hotel, then when it's dinnertime retrace your steps a few yards to Ivar's, a waterfront branch of one of the Seattle area's iconic restaurants. The food's good, the prices reasonable and the view is terrific. Or, if you want to go even more informal, just stop at Ivar's outdoor counter and get fish and chips or something else, and take it back to your hotel room.

Watch the sun set behind the Olympics, throwing them into silhouette while the ferries come and go in front of you.

The next morning, after breakfast (provided by the hotel) check out and drive back to Seattle. Park in a lot near the Pike Place market (do this as early as you can to avoid the mobs) and pick up some flowers from the "low stall" merchants for your cabin on the boat. Walk through the main arcade and see the fish flingers if you must, or join the lines outside the "original" (it isn't) Starbucks, then back to the car and drive 5 min. to the Alamo/National car rental office where you turn in the vehicle. Take your persons, flowers, luggage, and get shuttled to the cruise terminal (they go to both) and off you go.

So to the numbers you've been waiting for...

Cedarbrook Lodge, June 10-11, 2 persons, "lowest available": $229 + taxes.

Uber to Pier 91, June 11: $40-$75, say $60 (depends on specific vehicle type) plus tip.

Total, $289 plus hotel taxes and tip, say $310.

Silver Cloud Mukilteo, June 10-11, 2 persons, water view King: $219 plus taxes.

Alamo rental car (compact) all in: $68.90

Total $288 plus hotel taxes, say $300.

What's not included: By staying at or near the airport and wanting to see something of downtown Seattle before boarding the cruise, you have the problem of what to do with your luggage. If you go straight to the Pier 91 cruise terminal, for example, you're several miles and a $10 - $15 cab ride each way from the cruise terminal to downtown or vice versa.

With the rental car scheme you have to pay for parking in Seattle before the cruise (maybe $5-$10) plus a couple gallons of gas.

So I'm not saying this works for everybody, but I wanted to throw it out there to contrast with the "typical" plan people talk about with Seattle cruise departures. In my mind - but people are different - the car approach gives you lots more freedom to explore and to experience something of our region that extends past the usual, without placing a huge dent in your budget.

Gardyloo...Thanks for the information, but being from the country and driving in the city, scares the heck out of me!!!

Scott....I have chosen the Red Roof Inn, also...I'm hoping it is a decent hotel...At least, clean sheets, as we won't be there long...We will be there the end of May, so I will give you an update on this place....Susan from Arkansas

Cedarbrook Lodge has complimentary breakfast and shuttle from hotel to Seatac. Very nice hotel.

Just booked this hotel after reading reviews on Trip Advisor and checking out the hotel's website. Since we have been to Seattle before we decided this would be a lovely way to spend the evening before we catch a transfer to Pier 91 for our cruise the next day, and without adding additional $ and time for travel to and from downtown Seattle. The hotel includes transportation to and from the airport and breakfast, and has a restaurant with and nice menu and very eclectic wine list.

Just booked this hotel after reading reviews on Trip Advisor and checking out the hotel's website. Since we have been to Seattle before we decided this would be a lovely way to spend the evening before we catch a transfer to Pier 91 for our cruise the next day, and without adding additional $ and time for travel to and from downtown Seattle. The hotel includes transportation to and from the airport and breakfast, and has a restaurant with and nice menu and very eclectic wine list.

After the buffet breakfast (hope they serve their very tasty salmon), it is nice to have a leisurely walk around the hotel's greenery before checking out.

Hope you enjoy your stay and happy sailing!