Liquid/Bottle Restrictions - Cruise only

SherriL69

We are driving to New Orleans for a cruise the end of February and we are first timers (yah!). Is there a restriction on the size of liquids/bottles that can be in your carry-on (similar to flying)?

Thanks!

No.

I see you are cruising on Carnival. No bottles of water or bottles of soda.

But if you're just talking about sunscreen etc, no problem.

We are driving to New Orleans for a cruise the end of February and we are first timers (yah!). Is there a restriction on the size of liquids/bottles that can be in your carry-on (similar to flying)?

Thanks!

Well, the only "restrictions" I'm aware of are - some cruise lines require you to carry any beverages you are bringing onboard in your carry on bags, not checked.

As to size, no restriction.

Directly from Carnival's website:

Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages onboard that are packaged in bottles.

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception - At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage. All liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages outside of this exception are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided.

A $15 USD corkage fee, per 750 ml bottle, will be charged should guests wish to consume their wine or champagne in the main dining room, steakhouse or bar. A corkage fee is a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle served that was not bought on the premises.

Underlining is Carnival's. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

yup. only 2 750 ML bottles of wine permitted.

toiletries there are no limits

Thanks!

A qualified maybe. If you are asking about toiletries then the answer is no, there is no size limit, and they can go in checked luggage. If you are asking about beverages every line is different. For example with NCL you cannot bring any beverages on board the ship either at embarkation or at any of your ports of call, except wine. You pay a $15 corkage fee for each bottle of wine.

Here is NCL's policy:

Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older). Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call. This revised policy brings the company in line with other best practice travel security protocols and reduces the need for individual time consuming screening and package inspection of large volumes of beverages.

Carnival's policy is different:

Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages onboard that are packaged in bottles.

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception - At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage. All liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages outside of this exception are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided.

• A $15 USD corkage fee, per 750 ml bottle, will be charged should guests wish to consume their wine or champagne in the main dining room, steakhouse or bar. A corkage fee is a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle served that was not bought on the premises.

Thanks!

Obviously, your question has already been answered (multiple times). I would like to make a suggestion. Put whatever personal care items you bring (shampoo, conditioner, liquid soap, etc.) in large heavy duty zip lock bags. Then, if something should happen to leak, other items in your bag won't get ruined. Several years ago, I packed a bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release in my suitcase, but didn't put it in a zip lock bag. Of course, it leaked. :eek: Fortunately, no great harm was done. It took about three days for my suitcase to dry out, but it had a nice April fresh smell. :D

• 11 months later...

:D:D:DWe aren’t checking any bags on the plane. Well there’s a way to bring some vodka on board and save a ton of $, walgreens for a liter of mouthwash, dump it, add stoli and food coloring, drops of mint extract, voilà! Will even attempt to replace the tamper-proof cellophane thingy but prolly doesnt matter, I am seeing nothing wrong with this plan. Thanks for your reply sparks1093

:D:D:DWe aren’t checking any bags on the plane. Well there’s a way to bring some vodka on board and save a ton of $, walgreens for a liter of mouthwash, dump it, add stoli and food coloring, drops of mint extract, voilà! Will even attempt to replace the tamper-proof cellophane thingy but prolly doesnt matter, I am seeing nothing wrong with this plan. Thanks for your reply sparks1093

Any liquids in your carry on bags must follow the 4oz rule for flying. You can't put full sized bottles of "mouthwash" "shampoo" or anything else in carry on bags. Only checked bags.

For boarding ships, there are no liquid size restrictions for carry on bags (or checked bags, for that matter).

Will even attempt to replace the tamper-proof cellophane thingy but prolly doesnt matter, I am seeing nothing wrong with this plan.

Assuming you are serious and not yanking our collective chains here, you may be caught smuggling. Don't think the cruise lines don't see this all the time.

. Well there’s a way to bring some vodka on board and save a ton of $, walgreens for a liter of mouthwash, dump it, add stoli and food coloring, drops of mint extract, voilà! Will even attempt to replace the tamper-proof cellophane thingy but prolly doesnt matter, I am seeing nothing wrong with this plan. Thanks for your reply sparks1093

you think the cruise lines never heard of that idea before

Good luck

:D:D:DWe aren’t checking any bags on the plane. Well there’s a way to bring some vodka on board and save a ton of $, walgreens for a liter of mouthwash, dump it, add stoli and food coloring, drops of mint extract, voilà! Will even attempt to replace the tamper-proof cellophane thingy but prolly doesnt matter, I am seeing nothing wrong with this plan.

Sorry Jules, but--other than your plan being in violation of the Contract of Carriage you agreed to:

Unless you are going on a cruise significantly longer than seven days, a full one-liter bottle of any liquid will get your suitcase diverted to the "naughty room" for inspection;

And please note it is never a good idea to publicize your planned rule-breaking on an industry forum while selecting a user name that betrays your name, home state, and I presume year of birth. Yes the cruise lines read such posts.

But welcome to Cruise Critic anyway, I guess. And while I give you credit for using the search function, rather than resurrecting a thread dormant for eleven months I suggest you visit the boards for your particular cruise line. Or the Saving Money on Your Cruise--Tips & Advice board where alcohol smuggling is discussed as if it is the sole reason to take a cruise.

There's a good reason Carnival only allows beverages in cans instead of bottles. Too many people sliding a couple of bottles out of the bottom, filling them with vodka and putting them back.

My smart friend got caught doing that and her 24 bottle case was confiscated.

Like Farmers Insurance, they've seen everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

...Put whatever personal care items you bring (shampoo, conditioner, liquid soap, etc.) in large heavy duty zip lock bags. Then, if something should happen to leak, other items in your bag won't get ruined....

Good tip. Also, if your bottle has a screw-on cap, such as mouthwash or shampoo, unscrew, put a sandwich baggie over the top (leave it double folded -- just place it over the top) and screw tightly back on. This helps for air flights also, especially since flights undergo pressure changes.

Back to the original question -- no restriction on toiletries in carry-on, since your checked luggage gets to your cabin also. However, there can be restrictions on heated items such as irons, because fire is a real concern on a ship (more so than on land). If found, these can be confiscated and returned to you on the last night of the cruise.

On our last cruise they made a guy waiting to board open the very large bottle of shampoo he was carrying in the bag he was rolling onto the ship. Then one of the security people sniffed it and looked into the bottle. It turned out to just be shampoo and they let him board with it. On another of our cruises they found hidden stashes of alcohol in some people's bags and called their names over the speaker system to come down and claim their bags. From what I heard if it was still in the original bottle they just held it until the end of the cruise but if it was decanted to other containers they dumped them in front of folks before letting them have their luggage.