Register valuables with Customs & Border Partol

Has anyone here registered their valuables with the U.S. Customs & Border Patrol prior to your cruise so that your valuables don't get flagged for Duty when re-entering the U.S.?

Were you able to find a CBP agent to sign the form before boarding the ship - if so, how did you find an agent? Or, did you get the form signed before the departure date?

Is it correct that only items with serial numbers can be registered? What do you do if an item has no serial number?

Thank you!

Has anyone here registered their valuables with the U.S. Customs & Border Patrol prior to your cruise so that your valuables don't get flagged for Duty when re-entering the U.S.?

Were you able to find a CBP agent to sign the form before boarding the ship - if so' date=' how did you find an agent? Or, did you get the form signed before the departure date?

Is it correct that only items with serial numbers can be registered? What do you do if an item has no serial number?

Thank you![/quote']

Nope and never heard of it. We bring valuables in and out of the country on cruises all the time and have never been questioned about anything we are carrying or wearing. I don't think I've ever seen anyone mention this on these boards before. The CBP agents meet incoming ships and aren't available to those boarding/departing. There is usually an office in the terminal but once again, it's where the people leaving the ship are.

Technically, it might be prudent to have some sort of proof that you owned things before the trip, I suppose. But I've never heard of anyone "registering" things beforehand and we never have or will. I seriously doubt a customs agent would be looking at rings and watches on people and start asking if they bought them on their trip. I suppose if you wanted some sort of "proof" you could take pic's of items with your phone that would have dates tied to them in the properties.

Never been stopped at a cruise port but I have been stopped once at land border crossing and once returning from an international flight.

On the flight, Customs held my gear for 6 months while I gathered up enough proof that I did own these items prior to departure. The land crossing, I was able to talk my way through it.

I now gather my things a couple of weeks prior, fill out the paperwork, and take everything to a local CBP and have them sign off on it. It's valid for a year.

For those expensive items that don't have a serial number, it was suggested to take a picture of the item with a local newspaper in the background. The newspaper will have a date printed on the page.

For those not aware of the form, here's a link

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/368/kw/registering%20valuables/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ4NTM1ODg0MC9zaWQvKjkzXzdBOW4%3D

I have been asked if I purchased anything. My friend and I went on a cruise stayed in a suite. I still had my seapass out when I went through customs. I had bought before Christmas a diamond tennis bracelet and Michael Kors watch I was wearing. It was a 5 day cruise to Cozumel. I did not buy anything and my friend bought t shirts. I claimed nothing and she claimed the t shirts. The cup agent asked me if I purchased anything at all. I said no. He said are you sure and I said this is my 3rd time to Cozumel this year. He said okay.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Were you able to find a CBP agent to sign the form before boarding the ship - if so' date=' how did you find an agent? Or, did you get the form signed before the departure date?

Is it correct that only items with serial numbers can be registered? What do you do if an item has no serial number?[/quote']Decades ago.... yes, I did register my stuff with Canadian customs. Just ask for a customs officer when you get to the airport or border crossing. If you didn't have a serial number, they would apply a decal to your valuables with a serial number.

Then about 20 years ago.... they stopped offering the registration service. Was it too complicated with the electronics travelers now normally carry?

They tell me to photocopy my receipts.... if I can ever find them.

Edited by xlxo

Decades ago.... yes, I did register my stuff with Canadian customs. Just ask for a customs officer when you get to the airport or border crossing. If you didn't have a serial number, they would apply a decal to your valuables with a serial number.

Then about 20 years ago.... they stopped offering the registration service. Was it too complicated with the electronics travelers now normally carry?

They tell me to photocopy my receipts.... if I can ever find them.

I used to register my camera equipment with Revenue Canada Customs and Excise, as it was known in those days. There was a small cardboard form with the equipment listed and an RCCE stamp on it. I kept in in my camera bag, but I don't recall ever being asked to show it when returning from abroad.

I don't worry about proof of purchase these days, although if I bought an expensive item just before travelling that I was taking with me I might do so.

Thank you![/quote']

I have done this when renting a very expensive camera lens to take with me (ie I didn't have proof that I owned it and had bought it here). I keep a photocopy of my purchase receipt for my camera gear and a strand of black pearls I already paid them duty on when I brought them back from Tahiti with my travel docs. I don't worry about my phone and beat up four year old iPad.

I did the registration at CBP in the airport before leaving. Any US international airport will be able to help.

We haven't done this either. I didn't even know it was an option. Although, we don't travel with anything that valuable except cash, cameras, and a computer. I don't think they would question the amount of cash we have :rolleyes: and even if someone bought a camera while on vacation they'd have a difficult time flagging that as a purchase unless it was declared.

My wife even has a fairly nice looking fake ring that she wears when off ship. She's not so afraid of having it stolen, but it could get lost at the beach or other places and it would be impossible to go back to look for it.

I have seen some pretty fancy jewelry purchased on islands and I can certainly see where someone might want to declare that if brought on a subsequent trip since those purchases are very common and the reason a lot of people go on cruises.

Tom

We haven't done this either. I didn't even know it was an option. Although, we don't travel with anything that valuable except cash, cameras, and a computer. I don't think they would question the amount of cash we have :rolleyes: and even if someone bought a camera while on vacation they'd have a difficult time flagging that as a purchase unless it was declared.

Tom

Having experienced this, CBP doesn't have to prove anything. All they have to do is ask you to show proof that you had the item prior to leaving the country. If you can't prove it, you will be asked to pay duty and taxes on it. If you can't do that, they have the authority to confiscate the item until you can prove ownership.

Again, I've never had this issue when coming back from a cruise. However, I did run into this during a trip returning from Canada and when returning from Japan.

I now travel with my signed CBP forms.

Wow, that is concerning. I agree.

Maybe one good idea is to put your pre-owned items in your carry on or out of sight (like don't wear your fancy camera around your neck on the way out) just to be sure. I seldom see them go through anyone suitcase, but I guess that could happen as well.

We've never carried receipts for anything and never had a problem, but I can discount the possibility.

Tom

Having experienced this, CBP doesn't have to prove anything. All they have to do is ask you to show proof that you had the item prior to leaving the country. If you can't prove it, you will be asked to pay duty and taxes on it. If you can't do that, they have the authority to confiscate the item until you can prove ownership.

Again, I've never had this issue when coming back from a cruise. However, I did run into this during a trip returning from Canada and when returning from Japan.

I now travel with my signed CBP forms.

I was stopped coming off a cruise when we declared $0. It was a weekend cruise and we truly didn't buy anything. He thought my five year old three diamond ring looked new. Our bags were searched and a folder I used for cruise documents examined I guess looking for receipts. Really a pain and nerve racking even though innocent.

My lesson was to at least buy and declare something. Wonder if you could just take picture on your camera phone with rings, watches prior to cruise for proof?

I've never done it. But technically, they can have you pay duty on your items, even though you purchased them in the US prior to taking them outside the US. Years ago, I traveled with my receipt from my new camera, but was never asked for it.

Unfortunately, there are too many people trying to bring things into the US and not pay duty. My thought....if you can afford the expensive item, you can afford to pay the duty.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A few years ago a couple in front of me was going through customs and the girl had to "brag" to the customs agent about her new engagement ring! The poor future husband turned white as a ghost. :eek::eek:

I met up with them as they were coincidentally on the same flight and he told me that comment cost them $6000. It was a very nice ring.

Edited by wendychloecruiser

A few years ago a couple in front of me was going through customs and the girl had to "brag" to the customs agent about her new engagement ring! The poor future husband turned white as a ghost. :eek::eek:

I met up with them as they were coincidentally on the same flight and he told me that comment cost them $6000. It was a very nice ring.

6000.00 in tax on a ring?......I think he was the one bragging (embellishing) to you...

6000.00 in tax on a ring?......I think he was the one bragging (embellishing) to you...

I don't know. It's tax AND duty. $30K ring...easy 20%. I don't care either way. It was the look on his face that was priceless when he knew the implications of what she had said.

Edited by wendychloecruiser

Thank you![/quote']

We were stopped once years ago coming through customs in one of the Florida ports. My husband has a Rolex Submariner watch that he wears alot. The customs agent saw it on his wrist and asked if we declared it. We told him it wasn't purchased on the cruise. My husband had to take it off and show him the "scratches" or "wear marks" on the band to prove it wasn't new. That's the only time we were ever questioned.

We were stopped once years ago coming through customs in one of the Florida ports. My husband has a Rolex Submariner watch that he wears alot. The customs agent saw it on his wrist and asked if we declared it. We told him it wasn't purchased on the cruise. My husband had to take it off and show him the "scratches" or "wear marks" on the band to prove it wasn't new. That's the only time we were ever questioned.
Thank you all for responding. Great ideas here. We only have a regional airport near us, but there is a local "US Customs Services." I'll call both tomorrow to see if they have someone who can sign the form.

A watch was the primary reason I started this thread. Since we don't wear jewelry often, some of it looks new. Interesting on the scratches. I'll be sure not to clean/polish/buff out anything until we get back (unless we can register it.)

I had a custom agent in PC ask to look at the back of my TAG once. Same reason

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I don't know. It's tax AND duty. $30K ring...easy 20%. I don't care either way. It was the look on his face that was priceless when he knew the implications of what she had said.

Nope. I have paid tax/duty in jewelry, it works out to about 12%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk