AARP Carnival Gift Cards

helene109

11 minutes ago, tcrutchf said:

I'm an Allstate customer in Georgia. I haven't had access to e-cards in months. However, AARP has e-cards today!

Thank you for the heads up! Just ordered the e-cards! They came in less than a minute!

1 minute ago, Organized Chaos said:

Dang, it said I've already used that one. So I checked my history and it's a 2 year member anniversary code. I used it a year ago.

Yeah I got excited when I saw that 10k code but I had already used it as well.

How does all of this get funded?  Does Allstate get the cards at a discount for buying in bulk or something?  I assume that Allstate is either breaking even or making a little on these transactions; I can't imagine that they are actually spending money on a free program that has no safeguards and no revenue for them.

The data Allstate collects from DriveWise users is a gold mine.  The rewards app encourages people to use DriveWise, and that alone is probably enough of a trade-off.  

Beyond that, I know lots of companies run these rewards/discount gift cards sites, and I'm fairly confident they don't pay full retail for the gift cards.  It's also not just the gift cards, there are the sweepstakes and auctions which cost Allstate very little, and 'discounted' merchandise which I wouldn't be at all surprised to find Allstate gets paid to promote.  

3 minutes ago, NeighborGeek said:

The data Allstate collects from DriveWise users is a gold mine.  The rewards app encourages people to use DriveWise, and that alone is probably enough of a trade-off.  

Beyond that, I know lots of companies run these rewards/discount gift cards sites, and I'm fairly confident they don't pay full retail for the gift cards.  It's also not just the gift cards, there are the sweepstakes and auctions which cost Allstate very little, and 'discounted' merchandise which I wouldn't be at all surprised to find Allstate gets paid to promote.  

Heck I deleted that app a couple years ago. Actually the phone I'm using now never had that app. I just use the webpage for points and orders.

• Like 1

Yes, Allstate is not running a charity or going into the red by offering these cards at a discount.  I suspect they get them for more than the 10% discount as Carnival sees it as a promotional benefit as well.. Even if it were just the 10%, they view the advertising and/or potential for cross sale of business as a net gain.  

2 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

How do you get these cards? My dad is an Allstate member.

I just used the code above for the 10k points.  I have allstate home insurance, but not car.  You do not need insurance with them either way.  I have not ordered cards from them yet, have 100k points waiting, but still have 11months until our cruise.

16 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

How do you get these cards? My dad is an Allstate member.

Just to clarify, you don't have to be an Allstate customer. But since your dad is, I don't know if he's automatically registered with Allstate Rewards or if he has to create that separately. He can go to https://www.allstaterewards.com to see if his current Allstate login works. If not, then he has to register for their rewards program. You get promo codes via emails that you enter on the rewards site for points. Typically they're worth 1,000 points, but sometimes more depending on what they're promoting. He can also use the Allstate app and activate their Drivewise service. It tracks your driving using GPS and after a few days of not braking hard or going over a certain speed, you get points. You then login to the rewards site and trade in those points for 10% off the Carnival cards. 1,000 pts. for each $100 card (making it $90) and 5,000 pts. for the $500 cards (making it $450). Once you're logged into the rewards, look for a link at the top that says Gift Cards, then Travel.

32 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

It's a specific code that will only work for those who have had their 3 year anniversary.

I used it and been on less than 2 weeks.  I don’t think they care, should be making $$$ just from us using the site.  No points = no business I would think.

2 hours ago, Shamrock73 said:

I am so tempted to use this but after the AARP fiasco, I will resist the urge and play by the rules

The problem with AARP was they allowed codes to be used over and over.  Allstate seems to know a little better how to code, so they only work once per account.

6 minutes ago, rukkian said:

The problem with AARP was they allowed codes to be used over and over.  Allstate seems to know a little better how to code, so they only work once per account.

AARP only allows codes to be used once, and nearly all of them do. It was only one or two codes that caused all the problems. Someone said customer service told them there was some kind of hack within their code system, which is why those codes worked continuously. I'm inclined to believe that fowl play was involved since all other codes have only worked once. At the very least, someone figured out how to take advantage of a flaw in their system.

If you look closely, the format of the rewards sites of AARP and Allstate are practically identical. Seems as if they use the same third-party company to maintain it.

11 minutes ago, rukkian said:

And then they blamed us...the consumers...who didn’t realize we used the code 315 times.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LightCruiser210 said:

I used it and been on less than 2 weeks.  I don’t think they care, should be making $$$ just from us using the site.  No points = no business I would think.

Glad you were able to use it.  I have 200K points and it turned me down.