What was your upgrade offer and what did you bid

bklynfinest77

The thing is, once you book through an agent, they control your reservation. NCL has to contact them, not you. So, if they don't want to "deal with" upgrades (questions about them, customer questions/complaints, forwarding the offers, whatever) then they opt out. They have nothing to do with the process, except to determine when their clients don't get them.

I see. If you were NCL though wouldn't you make it mandatory for TAs to participate in the program?? The more people participate, the more bids, the higher the upgrades would likely go for. I know the program is still relatively new so hopefully they'll make some changes to it soon. Or at least have a way to check if your TA participates in the program before actually booking with them.

Great deal. In the same range for our end of October one. Bet the huge bad weather coverage the last 2 weeks for the Caribbean had put a damper on last minute cruisers. With less rooms being sold, NCL is happy to get something extra for rooms that might go empty. Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Thanks, we're very happy with what we bid and received. I think you're right, the weather may be making people cancel or decide to wait until next year to sail. Glad to hear that you too received a good offer, do enjoy your cruise. I'll post up what we thought of the Escape and the western itinerary.

I see. If you were NCL though wouldn't you make it mandatory for TAs to participate in the program?? The more people participate, the more bids, the higher the upgrades would likely go for. I know the program is still relatively new so hopefully they'll make some changes to it soon. Or at least have a way to check if your TA participates in the program before actually booking with them.

The process of upselling to a better room is not new. It has been around for a long time. Every ship has, for the most part, sailed with all suites occupied.

BUT,,, with NCL launching a new 4500 passenger mega ship every year, the old process was scalable. There were those who use to call the upsell line a few times a day,,, making the process unreasonable for larger populations. The new process automates the interaction with the customers.

Although I am booked through an agency, yesterday I received an email offering the upsell bidding. I placed a bid for an NCL Sky aft penthouse which was confirmed. However, on a mock search, all suite categories state sold out.

Am I just wasting my time??

Appreciate any thoughts or tips,

Maureen

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Although I am booked through an agency, yesterday I received an email offering the upsell bidding. I placed a bid for an NCL Sky aft penthouse which was confirmed. However, on a mock search, all suite categories state sold out.

Maureen

Not really. Mock booking never show cabins still being held. Things can change up to 3 days before sailing. You might get lucky and win your bid if some open. You can get the upgrade up to 48 hours before sailing. Do a bid and hope for the best.

Thanks for your thoughts - since we are past final payment date I suppose things may not be open. I think it's curious that they offer to let you bid on categories that are no longer available.

You have to consider that those people who already bought the penthouse might bid and get upgraded to a haven (for example). so that will open up the penthouse for you! [emoji847]

When is your cruise? I am on the Sky in Nov and the Suites have been sold out since I booked it in December.

Maureen

Someone in one of the suites may cancel. That is what happened on my Breakaway cruise. Haven Aft (H6) was sold out. Yesterday when I looked one cabin was available. And this is after final date.

Got upgrade confirmation 2 weeks before sailing, winning bid $140 CAD pp from inside to balcony on NCL Escape.

Great deal. From dark cave to bright balcony. Last year I bet the bid to do that would of been 275 or more. With all the bad weather being on CNN 27/7, Im sure limited the folks who would of booked last minute. Leaving in less than 5 weeks, hope to get the same deal.

Just got notice from NCL that our upgrade bid from a BA Balcony to the SC Suite was accepted. Sailing 10/21/17 on the Gem, for a 10 day from NY to Quebec City round trip. Been watching our cruise for several months now. On 9/19 there were 9 Regular Suites and 12 Haven Suites were still on their website. Then on 9/20 there were only 4 Regular Suites and1 Haven Suite left. I looked yesterday and the 5 Suites were still available. Tried looking at NCL website early this morning, but I couldn't get in to do a mock booking. My wife got a card from NCL in today's afternoon mail, welcome to the suite. It was post marked 9/21, which she thought was for our next cruise. I went to the bid page and it said we could no longer bid. Then she looked at her email and saw the notice from NCL. Checked credit card and the NCL charge was on there. The minimum bid was $750 per person, and we bid $800 per person for a total of $1600. We are satisfied with the upgrade!

Just got notice from NCL that our upgrade bid from a BA Balcony to the SC Suite was accepted. Sailing 10/21/17 on the Gem, for a 10 day from NY to Quebec City round trip. Been watching our cruise for several months now. On 9/19 there were 9 Regular Suites and 12 Haven Suites were still on their website. Then on 9/20 there were only 4 Regular Suites and1 Haven Suite left. I looked yesterday and the 5 Suites were still available. Tried looking at NCL website early this morning, but I couldn't get in to do a mock booking. My wife got a card from NCL in today's afternoon mail, welcome to the suite. It was post marked 9/21, which she thought was for our next cruise. I went to the bid page and it said we could no longer bid. Then she looked at her email and saw the notice from NCL. Checked credit card and the NCL charge was on there. The minimum bid was $750 per person, and we bid $800 per person for a total of $1600. We are satisfied with the upgrade!

Congrats. But what is the SC Suite type of cabin?

I wonder what it means when they've awarded bids for cruises later than mine, but haven't said yay or nay to the one I'm on. [emoji848]

I would guess there are lots of variables that impact the "order" or "timing" of upgrades.

* If they have a larger number of cabins available to upgrade, they can do them sooner. If sold out, or almost sold out... they wait a bit to avoid coming up short a cabin or two. (sometimes a cabin is taken out of service for various reasons)

* Possibly a different person/persons are working each ship. With the weather in Florida, that could impact timing

* On your cruise of Oct 6 - things are pretty well sold out. No haven/OS suites at all. Only 4 regular 2BR left. No Mini or Balcony left. So, things are tight and I would guess they would hold off a bit on making any moves. And maybe somebody that is scheduled for Carrib could wind up on this cruise.

I would guess there are lots of variables that impact the "order" or "timing" of upgrades.

* If they have a larger number of cabins available to upgrade, they can do them sooner. If sold out, or almost sold out... they wait a bit to avoid coming up short a cabin or two. (sometimes a cabin is taken out of service for various reasons)

* Possibly a different person/persons are working each ship. With the weather in Florida, that could impact timing

* On your cruise of Oct 6 - things are pretty well sold out. No haven/OS suites at all. Only 4 regular 2BR left. No Mini or Balcony left. So, things are tight and I would guess they would hold off a bit on making any moves. And maybe somebody that is scheduled for Carrib could wind up on this cruise.

Oh man! I was hoping for an upgrade. Probably not going to happen.

Do they let you know if your bid isn't accepted??

Been stalking this like crazy in preparation for a january cruise. I have determined the rejection emails are sent right at the 48 hr mark (before cruise).

Approvals are sent anytime they are accepted. Good luck!!!!

My upgrade bid was accepted for sailing on 30 sep--received notice this afternoon. My bid was a few hundred less than going price. Would have been better if I had been able to book this room earlier when I had a choice of which stateroom to pick However, I would have paid more and lost some OBC.