Felons on a cruise

Woodfaerie

No, there are no background checks by Carnival, and even a convicted and registered sex offender, unless prohibited by terms of probation could travel.

How often do you check the sex offender registry for your neighborhood and surrounding area? Do you watch your family members? Your minister? Your kid's coach? People talk about sex offenders as if they are some abstract class of individuals, but far more likely than not, they are going to fall into one of the above categories. Most child sex offenders use the same victim over and over and over. Most child sex offenders "groom" their targets - they know the child either through a family relationship, or some other relation of trust such as camp counselor, religious official etc- and the control them so they don't tattle.

Yes, it would be "possible" for someone to grab one of these kids. But then what - you can't abduct them beyond the ship? A cruise ship offers very little opportunity for escape without being identified. Nor does it offer an opportunity to groom a child with threats ("mommy will divorce daddy if you tell her what we do").

I have 20 + years in the criminal justice field and IMHO with regard to sex offenders you should be far more concerned about what goes on in your home, neighborhood, church and soccer league than in some random individual with your kids 20-30' away in a pool.

Well, I guess I have been put in place huh? Far be it for me to show any concern for anyone else's children. I do not have any children of my own - and I was not necessarily only applying my comments to a sexual nature. And you can't tell me that if a child is grabbed - regardless of whether or not they can get off the ship or not - the damage will already be done. And why should any child have to endure that?

I have a bit of experience working within the court system and you can’t tell me that there is not an element of predator – sexual or not – that doesn’t look for an opportunity to take advantage of a situation and will. I still say why should any child have to endure that?

Well, I guess I have been put in place huh? Far be it for me to show any concern for anyone else's children. I do not have any children of my own - and I was not necessarily only applying my comments to a sexual nature. And you can't tell me that if a child is grabbed - regardless of whether or not they can get off the ship or not - the damage will already be done. And why should any child have to endure that?

I have a bit of experience working within the court system and you can’t tell me that there is not an element of predator – sexual or not – that doesn’t look for an opportunity to take advantage of a situation and will. I still say why should any child have to endure that?

It didn't sound like that post was trying to put you in your place. More sounded like a rational opinion based on experience. Obviously people should always be aware of where their kids are. But we don't watch them 100% of the time (depending on age) and the post was just saying that often times it's the more familiar places that are where problems occur.

It didn't sound like that post was trying to put you in your place. More sounded like a rational opinion based on experience. Obviously people should always be aware of where their kids are. But we don't watch them 100% of the time (depending on age) and the post was just saying that often times it's the more familiar places that are where problems occur.

Thank you for understanding what I was communicating.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The background/criminal checks are not done by the cruise lines, but rather the port authority. They are done to assure that a criminal is not trying to sneak out of the country.

Either the port authority or customs. I like watching the Galveston cruise cam, and see the "perps" being led off the ship after it returns from a cruise. Gotta watch for those open warrents....

The background/criminal checks are not done by the cruise lines, but rather the port authority. They are done to assure that a criminal is not trying to sneak out of the country.

Not the port authority but CBP and I think most of us would be fine if the criminals did leave the country.:)

• 10 months later...

Update, I spoke to Carnival security team yesterday. They do indeed do background checks on all passengers through a third party agency. All Sex Offenders no matter how old the crime or circumstance are immediately rejected. If your not a sex offender then they will then determine the severity of your felony crime. You will get a notification that you have been kicked off the booking within 48 hours. They started this effective /2017. Has to do with the Obama law he signed in 2016 they call it international Megan's Law. But Carnival took it one step higher and now screen all felons. If your a sex offender it only gets worse for you, because if you book a cruise on a ship that does not do background checks they will then kick you of per your new passport showing your a sex offender. Plus all ports of entry they immigration will have your sex offender status and you will be denied going to that non American Island -https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/passports/passports-and-international-megans-law.html Currently RCC & Carnival screen all passengers. When all cruises leave the United States they have to submit the passenger manifest to Homeland Security. They will also flag passengers and notify the cruise security team of your status.

Why do I know so much? My best man a RSO his crime committed 26 years ago, and family friend "exfelon"were both booted off Carnival cruise 3 days before departure last month. The sad part is that its not even in Carnival Ticket contract...they refer to section 21. CARNIVAL reserves the right to decline to accept or to reject any person as a Guest, at any time, or to cancel a vacation package due to circumstances beyond the control of CARNIVAL...They claimed they notified both of them with emails...all bull****..they did not find out until they logged in to check in online. Then to add further insult refused to refund the booking.

After threatening legal action they eventually refunded their money. They still were out a couple of grand for airfare, hotels before the cruise, booked deep sea fishing..etc..but refused to refund that of their spouses..they wives had to go on the cruise anyway or lose all their money.

The Fun Ship it ain't.

I’m glad to see they are taking steps to protect children onboard and I totally agree with the policy.

However, I think it needs to be spelled out in bold letters before the booking is deposited that you will be denied boarding and not be refunded your fare if you are disqualified due to being a felon/RSO. For those that book by calling in, it needs to be asked and acknowledged. It should also show as a reminder on the online check in page in case someone else makes the booking and isn’t aware of the status of the other guest.

As long as there are no active warrants out for his arrest, you should be fine. They don't deny boarding to someone who has past a criminal record.

Wrong. For example:

http://ccresourcecenter.org/2015/06/18/traveling-to-canada-with-a-criminal-record/

Is anyone aware as to whether someone with a felony record is allow to go on a cruise? Would the cruise line deny someone? My partner committed a crime years ago, before sobriety entered his life, He is not on probation but a felony charge would show up on a background check.

I was going to just call Carnival and ask but unfortunately, I am not sure I trust a customer service representative with such an important question that if answered incorrectly, could cause us to be declined entry on to the ship.

Thank you to anyone who has some insight, it is greatly appreciated.

Did you just say you don't trust calling the source (Carnival) but will instead reach out to strangers on Cruise Critic to make random guesses?

I’m glad to see they are taking steps to protect children onboard and I totally agree with the policy.

However, I think it needs to be spelled out in bold letters before the booking is deposited that you will be denied boarding and not be refunded your fare if you are disqualified due to being a felon/RSO. For those that book by calling in, it needs to be asked and acknowledged. It should also show as a reminder on the online check in page in case someone else makes the booking and isn’t aware of the status of the other guest.

I applaud the extra enforcement as well. Fail to see any reason why the fare shouldn't be fully refunded.

I applaud the extra enforcement as well. Fail to see any reason why the fare shouldn't be fully refunded.

I think it should have been refunded in the case that was mentioned. However, once it’s posted conspicuously and maybe even having the guest check a box saying that they aren’t a felon that would be denied boarding or a RSO during your reservation and again for your online check in, then make it nonrefundable. No different than if you were to show up at the port without proper documentation.

I think it should have been refunded in the case that was mentioned. However, once it’s posted conspicuously and maybe even having the guest check a box saying that they aren’t a felon that would be denied boarding or a RSO during your reservation and again for your online check in, then make it nonrefundable. No different than if you were to show up at the port without proper documentation.

Maybe if there was a notice but even then this is the cruise line cancelling the passenger's cruise because of an internal policy. People don't get a refund for not having proper documentation because at that point they are within the 100% cancellation penalty period and by not bringing the correct documentation they have essentially cancelled their own cruise.

Glad they do the full prescreen now... We had an unfortunate experience back in 2008 where my sons ex girlfriend was detained and taken into custody before we disembarked. She had an open warrant. Had no problem boarding but when we were preparing to disembark her name was called to come to guest services. At that time it meant you didn't settle bill yet or a likely arrest. No one could leave the ship until the called passengers were accounted for!

Maybe if there was a notice but even then this is the cruise line cancelling the passenger's cruise because of an internal policy. People don't get a refund for not having proper documentation because at that point they are within the 100% cancellation penalty period and by not bringing the correct documentation they have essentially cancelled their own cruise.

Right. That's basically what I'm saying. They should make it clear at multiple points in the reservation including at booking and in the online check in. If they check the boxes that they aren't those things and the cruise line finds out later that they are, then basically they falsified information and should not get a refund.

Of course, if it presented when making a reservation, then they wouldn't be out anything at all as they wouldn't book.

I am in total agreement with you about this particular case as I said before. But if they make it known and people falsify information and get caught, then I believe Carnival is within their rights to keep all monies.