HAL to announce new celebrity voyage(s) Thursday (2/9/17)

sppunk

Any comments about why Oprah would be involved ii this? What does she need or want it for? She surely does not ned money or publicity..

The partnership is with O Magazine. It has a legal obligation to its shareholders to maximize profit. Oprah, herself, of course, is the publisher, and therefore obligated to perform her role at the company, which includes being its public face, just as she does for other aspects of the magazine's operations.

One question-if HAL hasn't evolved for years, then why are their bookings at an all time high before this new partnership was announced. Some times"if it ain't broke don't fix it".

HAL has drastically changed their marketing once NA came out. It wa broke, HAL was losing market share to other lines pretty drastically.

They've introduced a ton of new features, partnerships, etc. in the past 3-4 years. They're paying off.

Any comments about why Oprah would be involved ii this? What does she need or want it for? She surely does not ned money or publicity..

She's doing a "year of adventure." It's a series of trips so that she can write about the experiences in her mag.

How many times have we seen people on this board caution against short cruises, as you don't get a true sense of what cruising is about? I certainly feel that way. But Oprah will be on board for only two days and then write about the experience. That isn't much better than travel writers who get a tour and lunch in port and write all about the ship and the cruise line as if they really know.

HAL has drastically changed their marketing once NA came out. It wa broke, HAL was losing market share to other lines pretty drastically.

They've introduced a ton of new features, partnerships, etc. in the past 3-4 years. They're paying off.

Probably not the wisest thing is to go political in this atmosphere. If you don't think Oprah is political, you haven't been listening.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Probably not the wisest thing is to go political in this atmosphere. If you don't think Oprah is political, you haven't been listening.

O Magazine of a lifestyle publication, this is a partnership with it.

Alastair Fothergill is a massive climate change advocate, I don't think anyone should care about that when they set food onto the theater to see BBC Earth productions.

O Magazine of a lifestyle publication, this is a partnership with it.

Alastair Fothergill is a massive climate change advocate, I don't think anyone should care about that when they set food onto the theater to see BBC Earth productions.

We will never agree on this, so I will agree to disagree. As I said before, fortunately, their are many different cruises available to suit individual tastes. I wish all happy cruising!

Some people just dislike change of any kind.

Not clear on why there is such a strong reaction to offering a few different optional activities.

For the love of Pete, how can people get up in arms about a book club.

I'm sure for people who want the same HAL product, Oprah isn't going to change a darn thing,

I'd be a lot more steamed to find out that I couldn't do choice dining or that public rooms are closed off for the exclusive use very large onboard charter groups, as I have read on this board recently. That's offensive.

HAl bookings are at highest levels in a decade or more.

Companies have to evolve. If they don't, they die. HAL hadn't evolved for years and was quickly becoming a major drawback for Carnival Corp.

The Vista ships isn't going to attract new cruisers on their own. Since the S and R ships are numbered and gone by 2022, HAL needs new passengers.

Their new initiatives are working very well fir HAP corporate, regardless of any personal feelings about them. This is sounding more like a revolution than an evolution. IMO Their creativity for r evolving is missing the mark for many of us.

Look around - all lines are offering these types of marketing partnerships. Just be happy it isn't the Blue Man Group or Guy Feiri

Some people just dislike change of any kind.

Not clear on why there is such a strong reaction to offering a few different optional activities.

For the love of Pete, how can people get up in arms about a book club.

While I don't share their view, I do understand why those folks may be so upset: Recognition that the resources for these additions were previously directed toward those things that those folks liked.

"Oprah Magazine Adventure of Your Life Sailing" (November 29, 2017)

Our TA has confirmed that our cruise is one of four special sailings. It will focus on O Magazine-inspired activities,authors, artists and the Super Soul 100 (people whom Oprah finds inspirational.) There will be numerous special activities throughout the ship, per HAL. According to the editor of O, "This will be a transformation cruise. You will be a very different person than when you came on."

Each person will have to make the personal decision as to whether or not you want to be part of this special interest sailing.

My only experience with special interest sailings was when we lived in San Diego and took many repos to/from Vancouver. Before I learned how to find special interest sailings on Cruise Critic, we had several less than ideal

cruises.

So who will be staffing these O themed activities? The already overworked HAL staff or will O bring on their own staff? If it's the HAL staff who will provide activities for people not interested in O activities? Will there even be alternate activities for people not interested in O stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So who will be staffing these O themed activities? The already overworked HAL staff or will O bring on their own staff? If it's the HAL staff who will provide activities for people not interested in O activities? Will there even be alternate activities for people not interested in O stuff?

It's just selected cruises, correct? As such, I expect that O will provide some staffing, since the cruise line wouldn't have the right experts aboard, yes? For America's Test Kitchen, I know that staff were trained by ATK, but since they work every cruise I would expect the cruise line to pay for their work.

Regardless, when the cruise lines offer activities that don't interest me, like contract bridge, or dancing, or zip lines, I don't begrudge it. I cruise base on what the cruise line offers that I am interested in, not based on what the cruise line offers that I am not interested in.

Edited by bUU

Good questions, candbgirl. Unfortunately, my TA didn't get much in the way of answers from HAL and we won't be onboard to find out for ourselves.

I accept that I could be wrong and it will turn out that there was little or no disruption for us not being part of the O contingent.

Marion

It's just selected cruises, correct? As such, I expect that O will provide some staffing, since the cruise line wouldn't have the right experts aboard, yes? For America's Test Kitchen, I know that staff were trained by ATK, but since they work every cruise I would expect the cruise line to pay for their work.

Regardless, when the cruise lines offer activities that don't interest me, like contract bridge, or dancing, or zip lines, I don't begrudge it. I cruise base on what the cruise line offers that I am interested in, not based on what the cruise line offers that I am not interested in.

Unfortunately, some things that posters here ARE interested in have been cut. Cuts are generally seen as the line trying to save money. When that money is redirected to something those same poster's are NOT interested in, it makes the loss of the favored activities more disappointing.

I feel that way about the Neptunes. These talented groups who could play jazz as well as ballroom were taken off several ships. They were not directly replaced by BB King in that BB King groups don't play in the Ocean Bar. But it's clear that's where the money went. I cannot bear the noise level in the hallway outside the lounge where BB King plays, much less subject myself to hearing damage by going in. Consequently, I lost something I valued. And its replacement is something I cannot enjoy.

Unfortunately, some things that posters here ARE interested in have been cut. Cuts are generally seen as the line trying to save money. When that money is redirected to something those same poster's are NOT interested in, it makes the loss of the favored activities more disappointing.

I feel that way about the Neptunes. These talented groups who could play jazz as well as ballroom were taken off several ships. They were not directly replaced by BB King in that BB King groups don't play in the Ocean Bar. But it's clear that's where the money went. I cannot bear the noise level in the hallway outside the lounge where BB King plays, much less subject myself to hearing damage by going in. Consequently, I lost something I valued. And its replacement is something I cannot enjoy.

I totally understand what you are saying. I like BBKings but there is no way they are the equivalent (for us) that the Neptunes were)

I just cannot see begrudging the serving of other guests. I'm just not sure that way, I guess.

I'm sorry. When was the last time you were on HAL again? 1998? And you were unhappy right?

How can you judge begrudging then? There is no begrudging. It's a matter of choice and preference. If I am correct and you haven't been on for nearly 9 years, then I think someone who has been on more frequently and more recently than that has the right to speak their preference just as you do

I'm sorry. When was the last time you were on HAL again? 1998?
Why chose to deflect? How do you respond to changes at the movie theater? ... At the local grocery? ... At the popular theme park? I just cannot see begrudging the serving of other guests. Period. About anything. I suppose I'm very much interested in your explanation about why I should begrudge the serving of others?

And you were unhappy right?

At God for sending 17 foot waves across the Atlantic. What's your point?

If I am correct and you haven't been on for nearly 9 years, then I think someone who has been on more frequently and more recently than that has the right to speak their preference just as you do

I've said nothing to the contrary. You seem to be implying that people should not post comments you don't like. Why do you feel that way?

Why chose to deflect? How do you respond to changes at the movie theater? ... At the local grocery? ... At the popular theme park? I just cannot see begrudging the serving of other guests. Period. About anything. I suppose I'm very much interested in your explanation about why I should begrudge the serving of others?

At God for sending 17 foot waves across the Atlantic. What's your point?

I've said nothing to the contrary. You seem to be implying that people should not post comments you don't like. Why do you feel that way?

OMG - I have seen 30 foot waves and more going across the Atlantic. What's your point? Many of us that have done TA's know the risk and accept it. I have read your posts btw.

I have no problem with changes. I've been cruising since 1987 and have seen plenty of them. The point is I have been cruising in all those years ;)

Maybe instead of criticizing my posts, you should take a look at yours? No worries ;). We can both agree to disagree.;)

This is amazing to me. I have never heard of or met anyone who doesn't like Oprah!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

well oprah should have stay out of politics... I am no longer a fan....because of her stance and think HAL is making big mistake on this one.