HAL to announce new celebrity voyage(s) Thursday (2/9/17)

sppunk

well oprah should have stay out of politics... I am no longer a fan....because of her stance and think HAL is making big mistake on this one.

God forbid you should have anything to do with anyone who has a different opinion than you do.

When I go to the HAL website, the November 29th cruise shows that it is an Oprah cruise, but you can book it right there. Maybe people who like Oprah might book it because of that, but I don't think it is like a charter cruise. Don't charter cruises require you to go through a representative travel agent? I'm not sure how that works. It seems like the "perks" of that cruise would be available to all of the passengers. Anyway, I have been booked on that cruise for a few months. So far, prices have not changed, either. I am hoping it is just a partnership like Lincoln Center or Billboard.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I go to the HAL website, the November 29th cruise shows that it is an Oprah cruise, but you can book it right there. Maybe people who like Oprah might book it because of that, but I don't think it is like a charter cruise. Don't charter cruises require you to go through a representative travel agent? . . . I am hoping it is just a partnership like Lincoln Center or Billboard.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I also don't think it is a charter - just a partnership.

Personally I'll just be happy when I'm not greeted with a goofy grinning photo of Oprah every time I log onto HAL's home page. I find it very distracting...(read "feels cheap", like something I would expect on a different cruise line). :rolleyes:

PS - haven't been on HAL since 2015. What's up with the libraries? Several mentions of them going away? We like the Explorations Cafe, especially on the S and R class ships and would be sad if they go away. And what will replace those great spaces if they do eliminate them?

Personally I'll just be happy when I'm not greeted with a goofy grinning photo of Oprah every time I log onto HAL's home page. I find it very distracting...(read "feels cheap", like something I would expect on a different cruise line). :rolleyes:

PS - haven't been on HAL since 2015. What's up with the libraries? Several mentions of them going away? We like the Explorations Cafe, especially on the S and R class ships and would be sad if they go away. And what will replace those great spaces if they do eliminate them?

This is the first that I have heard about HAL cutting back on the libraries. We will be on the Maasdam in a week and one of the things we love is the library. We also love the smaller ships, not sure we will keep cruising if they get rid of all the smaller ships. The new music venues on the ships is just way to loud we do not enjoy the singers screaming over the bands.

As for Oprah, I don't see how that would influence our going on a cruise. I would not like to be on if they were going to close off the public rooms.

HAL always had a classy, elegant opening to their site.....now this?

I agree. I have been on HALs site several times lately doing my online check in. I cringe when I see her smiling face. I would much rather see a DAM ship. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is the first that I have heard about HAL cutting back on the libraries. We will be on the Maasdam in a week and one of the things we love is the library. We also love the smaller ships, not sure we will keep cruising if they get rid of all the smaller ships. The new music venues on the ships is just way to loud we do not enjoy the singers screaming over the bands.

As for Oprah, I don't see how that would influence our going on a cruise. I would not like to be on if they were going to close off the public rooms.

Your library on the Maasdam is just fine. No move has been made/nor talked about on the S & R ships nor the Prinsendam at this time ;)

I agree. I have been on HALs site several times lately doing my online check in. I cringe when I see her smiling face. I would much rather see a DAM ship. Lol

Agree 100%. I doubt very much Mr. Ashford will reply to my email informing him how I feel about having Mrs. O on the front page of the website. Probably too busy partying with Boy George :rolleyes:

Well, add me to the list of people who doesn't much care for Oprah (or celebrity endorsements/partnerships in general). I would much rather HAL spent their time, effort, and money ensuring their basic product is as good as it can be. Personally, I think they could capture a nice and profitable segment of the cruising population by doing that. Their marketing should focus on effectively conveying the elegance and service they provide, which are true market differentiators.

Well, add me to the list of people who doesn't much care for Oprah (or celebrity endorsements/partnerships in general). I would much rather HAL spent their time, effort, and money ensuring their basic product is as good as it can be. Personally, I think they could capture a nice and profitable segment of the cruising population by doing that. Their marketing should focus on effectively conveying the elegance and service they provide, which are true market differentiators.

The last company I worked for had a series of internal slogans. The one that stuck longest was "Nailing the basics" and it resonated with many. IMO Holland America devaluaed the basics and considerably weakened their product.

I cannot imagine what would read "feels cheap" about a beautiful photograph of a graceful woman. Perhaps you could explain that.

I have watched Oprah evolve over the last 35 years she has been in Chicago, and am surprised that HAL has engaged such a polarizing individual in any marketing effort.JMHO!

I'm not trolling, I swear! How is she polarizing? I seriously never knew people didn't like her

As I stated in my previous post, I've never met her so don't know if I like her or not. My issue is more with the attitude of celebrities in general, WE know more than you, WE are better at life than you. You should listen to US. Dress, eat, exercise and vote like WE do and your life will be better. Thanks but no thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The "cleaning out Oprah's closet / house" articles in the magazine are enough to make a regular person vomit. And her pushing a lifestyle that most can't obtain or don't need is annoying at best. She has also injected herself into politics, which is her right--but it's my right to dislike her point of view.