HAL to announce new celebrity voyage(s) Thursday (2/9/17)

sppunk

I am not excited by this AT ALL. I can't stand Oprah!!! And don't like the idea of my vacation which is booked and arranged and can't be changed (due to work schedule). I'm trying to find out what real impact this will have on my cruise, because I want to be prepared for all the Oprah crap onboard. I'm not on one of the 4 featured sailings, but I hope the rest of the cruises during the time period will be minor and easily ignorable. But if there is a huge, noticeable impact on my cruise, HAL will definitely be getting an angry letter.

I checked out the "Oprah crap" and it seems pretty benign to me. I didn't see anything offensive.

Roz

Right now it looks pretty benign and easily ignorable, but I would like to know the actual impact on my cruise. Like are they going to be blocking off or closing public rooms on sea days for the activities, especially in addition to the activities that already close off public rooms like art auctions or sales seminars. That can have a negative impact on my cruise, because it's not like I can go somewhere else if other passengers are trying to avoid the or are pushed from public spaces by things they are not interested in or invited to.

Additionally I don't want my menus to be structured around the trendy food ideas featured in O magazine.

So there can be an impact and HAL is being pretty quiet on the actual impact to passengers who are not interested in being part of Oprah's revolution. I have made a conscious decision not to support her or her empire, and having it forced upon me is objectionable. I worry about how much of my cruise fare will go to support her empire, as I do not wish to do so in any way. I do not want the empire benefiting from me.

Trying to figure out how to take my name out of the draw for those free cruises :D

LOL :).

One of the big things of Oprah was her book clubs and reading. I wouldn't want to be on one of those cruises, but, if she being affiliated means HAL needs to keep or better their libraries, it could be a good thing.;):D

Right now it looks pretty benign and easily ignorable, but I would like to know the actual impact on my cruise. Like are they going to be blocking off or closing public rooms on sea days for the activities, especially in addition to the activities that already close off public rooms like art auctions or sales seminars. That can have a negative impact on my cruise, because it's not like I can go somewhere else if other passengers are trying to avoid the or are pushed from public spaces by things they are not interested in or invited to.

Additionally I don't want my menus to be structured around the trendy food ideas featured in O magazine.

So there can be an impact and HAL is being pretty quiet on the actual impact to passengers who are not interested in being part of Oprah's revolution. I have made a conscious decision not to support her or her empire, and having it forced upon me is objectionable. I worry about how much of my cruise fare will go to support her empire, as I do not wish to do so in any way. I do not want the empire benefiting from me.

[bold is mine] I doubt that will happen, except on the "Oprah cruises" or maybe one Weight Watchers/Ohpra approved entree each night. HAL seems pretty committed to its Culinary Council, so I don't expect a big change in menus.

[bold is mine] I doubt that will happen, except on the "Oprah cruises" or maybe one Weight Watchers/Ohpra approved entree each night. HAL seems pretty committed to its Culinary Council, so I don't expect a big change in menus.

That's not what the website is saying.

Quote from the HAL website page O, The Oprah Magazine Inspired Activities Onboard:

Let’s Eat!

Indulge without guilt and learn a lifetime of healthy habits, inspired by O’s focus on wellness.

I am sure there will be changes to the HAL menu I really enjoy and I'm not convinced they will be favorable. I don't trust the science, doctors or nutritionists Oprah considers "experts."

That's not what the website is saying.

I am sure there will be changes to the HAL menu I really enjoy and I'm not convinced they will be favorable. I don't trust the science, doctors or nutritionists Oprah considers "experts."

I have put in a call and email to HAL asking for clarification of menu changes and overall changes to the cruise experience. Phone- call back later, no response from email yet. Got the impression they're hearing from many unhappy customers.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

I have put in a call and email to HAL asking for clarification of menu changes and overall changes to the cruise experience. Phone- call back later, no response from email yet. Got the impression they're hearing from many unhappy customers.

Yes, I have noticed most of the replies to the announcement posts on Facebook have been less than positive. I'm not entirely sure this was the best decision HAL could have made.

People freak out fir the weirdest reasons.

All this is ipwill be npbrabded meditation classes, some nutrition classes, a book club, and a magazine in a stateroom.

They're not rebranding as O Criuse Lines for crying out loud.

I'm not convinced the menu changes will be on every cruise. It's possible that the chance to do the healthy living will be special cooking classes, or special Pinnacle meals just for this cruise. Possibly also on the O-themed cruises.

I'm glad you called and I'm curious to see what you learn--if they can give you any details. But I think this will turn out to be less than people expect. It's a lot of HAL hype.

Yesterday evening, I booked the O-Adventure of Your Life Cruise departing March 3, 2018 on the Nieuw Amsterdam from Fort Lauderdale (7 days). I booked Category MM (inside guarantee) which was the most economical price for the cruise at $699.00/pp. This morning the same category is now $799.00/pp. I decided to book yesterday evening before any price increase (already one!).

I like the itinerary and am looking forward to the unique offerings.

HAL is set to announce a new celebrity voyage partnership tomorrow ((2/9/17) at 11:30 a.m. EST.

Announcement will I believe be streamed live via the HAL Facebook page.

Hint: I believe it involves a very famous woman from Chicago. ;)

Yess, it is Oprah. they are sounding desperate to me lately. :eek: Who needs an Oprah cruise?

Laura posted about it above........

I, personally (key word here, it is only my personal feeling) feel somewhat insulted and let down that HAL would believe that my travel decisions could be influenced by any celebrity not directly related to the destination or travel experience. This sort of thing is definitely NOT why I choose to sail with HAL.

I seriously doubt HAL is going to subject everyone to Oprah's diet or O Magazine's New Age menus. Nowhere in the press release did it imply that Oprah was branding all of HAL's ships.

Some of the higher end lines regularly have celebrities onboard that give a talk or lecture, and maybe have a movie showing or autograph session. For instance, a friend of mine was on Cunard from Southampton to NYC, and Lynn Redgrave was onboard with her family. They showed "Georgy Girl" and then Ms. Redgrave gave a talk afterwards about her career, the filming of Georgy Girl, and her struggles with weight and film critics' comments about her appearance. My friend said she had the room mesmerized, but no one on the ship was forced to attend or participate.

On Seaborne, another friend got to sail with Helen Gurley Brown and her husband David Brown. Mrs. Brown gave a talk about her first book, Sex and the Single Girl, and the founding of Cosmopolitan Magazine. No one was forced to have pre-marital or extra-marital sex. :D My friend said even though she wasn't a Cosmo reader, Mrs. Brown gave a fascinating talk about growing up in the Ozarks and then becoming one of the most well known and respected magazine editors.

Roz

I am very thankful I found this thread. USA Today is now reporting that one of the Oprah cruises is an 11 day Koningsdam Caribbean cruise in November. We have just put down a deposit on the 11/29 Koningsdam sailing from Fort Lauderdale.

I'm not intending to get into an Oprah yay or nay debate - just don't want to be on a special event cruise. Plan to speak to my travel agent later today and see what this involves. Will report back.