Are the summer months that much more crowded?

gritsnc

I have only ever cruised in winter or spring. For my youngest daughters graduation gift (a family trip) we will have to go in June because that's the only time everyone will be able to go (my oldest will be out of college for the summer and my niece that's going is a teacher).

I'm getting major anxiety thinking about the crowds and also all of the very young children (my patience isn't what it used to be when it comes to a lot of little kids running around or screaming).

Although most of the sailings I've been on have been sold out, I travel when school is in session. The one Christmas/New Years cruise I went on was 15 nights (Hawaii), but there were still 600 kids on board. Never again! I would assume that there are going to be a lot more kids when school is on break.

Afraid your fears are confirmed, as there are more crowds and more younger children on board during that time frame. We too have been in your situation trying to coordinate everyones college and school schedules and had to cruise the second week of June :eek: But rest assured being with a larger family group we still all had a great cruise and didn't seem to notice the crowds or all the children. I think when my husband and I cruise alone we notice more details about those type of situations but with our children onboard it just didn't matter. I am sure you will have a great cruise and just be thankful everyone can get together at one time. :D

Hi there

I agree with Kittybork, the ship doesn't hold more people in summer and they do typically sail full most of the time.

There will be more children on board than if it was during school, but it doesn't mean that they will necessarily be under your feet. Most are enjoying the kids clubs etc... One sure way of avoiding the children is to not hang around where they are most likely to frequent...it is a large ship.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

I wouldn't say more crowed however the mix of adults and kids are different. In the spring and fall (other then spring and fall breaks) the crowds are mostly adults. My son never went to cam carnival at these times because there where only a hand full of kids to play with. In the summer as you would expect many more kids but the overall crowd size is about the same as the ships only hold so many people.

Ship's usually sail at 100% occupancy, meaning that all bottom bunks are filled. High season cruises (when school is in break) have occupancy rates up to 106%, even the top bunks are filled.

No matter when I've sailed, or how long the cruise was, there was also a lot of kids onboard. Having a lot of kids onboard doesn't bother me, except when they hang out on the stairs, which I guess is better than them doing other mischievous things.

I've done a few cruises in August because that's the only time my sister is able to go with her 2 kids. Yes there are a lot of kids, but I hardly ever notice them. Like one poster says, they are well behaved on the ship. Sure there are a few bad apples but overall I have no issue at all. I'm one who have very little tolerance when it comes to kids, but so far absolutely no issues.

I agree that summer cruises have more kids, but I don't believe that they're more crowded.

The ship has a capacity limit, and it can't be topped, so ... I think the numbers are pretty much the same.

While you are correct the ship has a capacity limit that doesn't mean that it sails at capacity all the time.

While the ship "sails full" it does not sail at capacity. In other words often times there are only two people in a four person room.

During Holidays, like our recent Thanksgiving cruise, the ship was at capacity. This meant that each lifeboat seat was filled.

We did a back to back and the second week was an Ultra Cruise. The two cruises were day and night. Much more crowded on Thanksgiving than Ultra. Mike Pack was our cruise director and he said there were around 500 less people on the second, but full, Cruise.

We have done summer as well and while it is more crowded it isn't as bad as a Holiday.

The ships pretty much sail full year-round. However, the demographics change a bit. Summer and school holidays will have more kids sailing, while cruises during non-school holidays will have less kids. We have sailed at times with over 1,000 kids on board, and it is definitely a bit noisier during those times. Pools/hottubs sometimes become playgrounds for them. The only other problems I have encountered with more kids is having them hang out on the stairs - blocking them from people going up and down- having them press every button in the elevator, then running out, and running in the hallways banging on cabin doors at night.

While you are correct the ship has a capacity limit that doesn't mean that it sails at capacity all the time.

While the ship "sails full" it does not sail at capacity. In other words often times there are only two people in a four person room.

During Holidays, like our recent Thanksgiving cruise, the ship was at capacity. This meant that each lifeboat seat was filled.

We did a back to back and the second week was an Ultra Cruise. The two cruises were day and night. Much more crowded on Thanksgiving than Ultra. Mike Pack was our cruise director and he said there were around 500 less people on the second, but full, Cruise.

We have done summer as well and while it is more crowded it isn't as bad as a Holiday.

Exactly. You explained it more fully than I .

Once those life boat numbers have been reached, no one else allowed. The ship isn't like Disney where people can continually stream in the gates.

Being on multiple cruise lines with kids, I discovered certain cruise lines are better at managing kids. Some examples are that Carnival is very limited to what they can do during the day. Carnival relies on the kids clubs for activities, but most kids think it's lame so they go hang out. Carnival ships, other than a pool, have no place to go. So you see them as pack animals roaming the ship. Thus why you are so annoyed at them.

Royal Caribbean on the other hand have activities that are less structured that keeps them entertained. Rock climbing, full sports courts, flow rider. These activities keep them busy for hours! Throw in ice skating parties, dance parties, and on some ships, bumper cars and roller skating, and you have kids isolated.

People say RCCL is more money, but you also get a better product. Go on the low cost budget cruise than you will find more unruly kids with no place to go, but sit on stairways, play with elevators, and roam around. I learned my lesson early.

Being on multiple cruise lines with kids, I discovered certain cruise lines are better at managing kids. Some examples are that Carnival is very limited to what they can do during the day. Carnival relies on the kids clubs for activities, but most kids think it's lame so they go hang out. Carnival ships, other than a pool, have no place to go. So you see them as pack animals roaming the ship. Thus why you are so annoyed at them.

Royal Caribbean on the other hand have activities that are less structured that keeps them entertained. Rock climbing, full sports courts, flow rider. These activities keep them busy for hours! Throw in ice skating parties, dance parties, and on some ships, bumper cars and roller skating, and you have kids isolated.

People say RCCL is more money, but you also get a better product. Go on the low cost budget cruise than you will find more unruly kids with no place to go, but sit on stairways, play with elevators, and roam around. I learned my lesson early.

Totally depends on the ship. With a ship with sports square they have pool, football, chess, shuffleboard, corn hole, ping pong, ropes course, putt-putt and basketball and the water park etc all in one area and there is plenty for kids to do other than "roam" the ship. My kids are 12 and 18 and have never been bored on a Carnival cruise and are never just roaming the ship "as a pack of animals." They can also properly entertain themselves on Princess.

Having cruise RCI I did not care for their food or their service with a frown and would not consider paying their crazy prices to have what you feel are necessary amenities.

Now to answer the OPs question, yes you are going to find more families and more cabins filled at capacity at summer and holidays. On the Magic at Christmas we sailed with 4600 - I think the ship holds 50 more than that. And it felt crowded. It wouldn't stop us from cruising but we also know how to avoid crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have only ever cruised in winter or spring. For my youngest daughters graduation gift (a family trip) we will have to go in June because that's the only time everyone will be able to go (my oldest will be out of college for the summer and my niece that's going is a teacher).

I'm getting major anxiety thinking about the crowds and also all of the very young children (my patience isn't what it used to be when it comes to a lot of little kids running around or screaming).

The ships usually sail at max capacity at all times. More concerning issues would be the number of kids running around in summer month and humid or stormy weather conditions in the summer

We will also take our first summer cruise on July 8th out of Long Beach for 7 nights. I would never have picked these dates due to # of kids and hot weather but it's the date for my husband's 40th birthday. He turns 40 on a sea day with Cheers and another sea day to recover....lol, what a fun time it will be!

We have never experienced the drama that others post about long lines for everything or not being able to find a table on lido. I'm not really all that worried about the kids cuz we don't do the pool or any of the kid areas on the ship but I guess we'll see.

Anyone have experience on the Miracle in July and can speak to the crowds, lines, etc?