HELP! Paid in full and now my husband cant go

PippenBooBoo

Our cruise is paid in full for our April trip on the BA but my husband just found out he has a work trip that week that came up last minute and it is mandatory. I know we cant cancel without 75% penalty but was thinking maybe I could take someone else in his stead? Has anyone here ever had to do this? My other option is that I go alone. What, if any, would the penalty be in those 2 circumstances?

If your husband had the time formally booked off from his job he should be discussing the penalty with them. If his employer has made a demand that he cancel his travel plans to accommodate their schedule, they need to compensate him for cancelation costs unless there is something in his terms of employment contract to the contrary.

Now, if the time off was never formally granted then there is no recourse other than a direct conversation with his work supervisor to see if there is any flexibility.

You should also call NCL and ask for a supervisor to discuss your options. You can go solo without canceling your husband, declare him a no show at check in and not have to pay his DSC but you will not get any money back for his half of the cruise fare.

If you have trip cancelation insurance, depending on the type, it ay not help in this case either unless it is cancel for any reason insurance.

Best of luck.

NCL considers this a cancellation. to change the name on the reservation will cost you the 75%.

This is not correct. You can change the name of one passenger for a small fee. As long as one of the original passengers remains in the room.

Did you purchase travel insurance? I would see if you can get someone to go with you.

Did his company know that he had this vacation already planned?

I have trip insurance but it is not cancel for any reason. I plan on giving them a call today anyway.

His company knew but they dont care. It is a yearly thing that had been scheduled for another date but they changed to to this week. He would be fired if he didnt go and Id much rather try to work around it than have to deal with looking for recourse through his company.

I can bring my daughter but was wondering what the penalty fee would be if I did. If its does wind up being the 75% I would probably just end up going alone. Fun... :(

I have trip insurance but it is not cancel for any reason. I plan on giving them a call today anyway.

His company knew but they dont care. It is a yearly thing that had been scheduled for another date but they changed to to this week. He would be fired if he didnt go and Id much rather try to work around it than have to deal with looking for recourse through his company.

I can bring my daughter but was wondering what the penalty fee would be if I did. If its does wind up being the 75% I would probably just end up going alone. Fun... :(

Most travel insurance plans I've seen cover "work reasons" like this. Cancel for any reason is typically for things not covered like:

My dog is sick (I've yet to find one that covers "pets" without having to get cancel for any reason--EXCEPT for what's included with my Citi Hilton Honors card)

or

"eh, I changed my mind and just don't want to go"

I'd be fairly certain this instance should be covered under standard.

But some of the cheaper plans require a specific rider for "cancel for work reasons".

anyway, I hope they are able to cover you for this and poop on the employer for being a jerk.

:)

If your husband had the time formally booked off from his job he should be discussing the penalty with them. If his employer has made a demand that he cancel his travel plans to accommodate their schedule, they need to compensate him for cancelation costs unless there is something in his terms of employment contract to the contrary.

Now, if the time off was never formally granted then there is no recourse other than a direct conversation with his work supervisor to see if there is any flexibility.

lololol... OP's DH should just march right into that office and tell them what's what! Tell his boss to cut him a check right away! Plus a little extra for his inconvenience.

You might try to simply add your daughter as a third person in the cabin, then "no show" your husband at check in. I'm not sure, but I think you would be due a refund for the port taxes portion of his cruise fare.

lololol... OP's DH should just march right into that office and tell them what's what! Tell his boss to cut him a check right away! Plus a little extra for his inconvenience.

While what you've joked about and what I suggested are miles apart the fact is if an employee is eligible for leave and has formally booked said leave there should be room in a work environment for a respectful conversation. If, as the OP suggests, her DH would be fired that would constitute wrongful dismissal in most jurisdictions. Regardless, nobody wants a confrontational relationship with his or her place of employment, thus my suggestion of a respectful conversation. I have had a similar situation several times in the past and I all cases was able to make mutually acceptable arrangements with my employer, lololololol away if it makes you feel better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If I recall correctly you can change passengers name for a small fee (or free not sure) BEFORE final payment/lockdown. After that it is normally considered a cancel/rebook.

That said I would call NCL and ask about 2 things. One, if you have someone ready to go would they consider the change given the reason. They may, as they would rather have the DSC and onboard spend than not.

Second, if that fails, ask if you could be moved to an open Studio cabin if there is one and your ship has. Again, they are under no obligation to, but if they think they can sell your cabin.. The difference between fares could possibly be OBC (I should point out the far likelier answer is NO, but it never hurts to ask).

Other than that, its trip insurance or bite the bullet...

(Oh and to whom said it would be wrongful dismissal? Unless the employee is under contract, almost every state is employ at will now (assuming US) meaning you can be fired for any reason without recourse except discrimination, whistleblowing, fraud or criminal activity.)

While what you've joked about and what I suggested are miles apart the fact is if an employee is eligible for leave and has formally booked said leave there should be room in a work environment for a respectful conversation. If, as the OP suggests, her DH would be fired that would constitute wrongful dismissal in most jurisdictions. Regardless, nobody wants a confrontational relationship with his or her place of employment, thus my suggestion of a respectful conversation. I have had a similar situation several times in the past and I all cases was able to make mutually acceptable arrangements with my employer, lololololol away if it makes you feel better.

100% agree. I guess I'm spoiled with an excellent contract, but at my job, once vacation time is approved it can't be taken away. This just came up with my last trip; I had my vacation time approved months ahead and a couple weeks before I left I was assigned to attend mandatory training. Told them too bad, so sad, my vacation time is approved; and I took my vacation. No issues.

Union, blue state, or both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our travel insurance policy covers these conditions:

You, Your Traveling Companion or Your Family Member traveling with You is required to work during the Trip. A written statement by an unrelated company official and/or the human resources department demonstrating revocation of previously approved time off will be required. This provision is not applicable to temporary employment, independent contractors or self-employed persons;

If your traveling companion is unable to join you, and you cruise solo, it is covered by this:

Single Supplement

Benefits will be paid, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount, for the additional cost incurred as a result of a change in the per person occupancy rate for Prepaid Travel Arrangements if a Traveling Companion’s or Family Member’s Trip is interrupted for a Covered reason and You do not interrupt Your Trip.

These benefits will not duplicate any other benefits payable under the Policy or any coverage(s) attached to the Policy.

Maybe you can ask your insurance company if your plan includes this.