Majesty of The Seas - Faulty Life Jackets, Stuck in Port

Lurch104

We are currently on board Serenade, day two, day at sea.

Our usual schedule for our morning is to have breakfast and then walk some laps on Deck 5,

Promenade outside deck. Well, we could not do that walk today...quess why??

They had most of the deck closed off to pull out all of the life jackets for inspection. Wonder

why today??!! :eek: ;) Actually this is the first time we have ever seen them do that

on all of the RCI ships we have been on so far.

Curious if any of the other ships are suddenly having a full unscheduled life jacket inspection

today? ;)

I've never booked a ship to impress others; I book for the features and amenities. 25 years is getting old in this industry. I like Majesty and would sail again, but have no delusions that she does not measure up to newer ships.

And I echo sentiments that I'd be ticked off at this situation. Someone at RCI was not doing their job and ultimately the Captain is responsible for his or her ship and should know and correct any safety deficiencies. "What did the Captain know, and when did they know it?"

Glad they got to salvage some of the vacation for people here. 25% refundable OBC and 25% off a future cruise (based on the price of a 4 day Majesty cruise - about the cheapest cruise you can book) doesn't quite cut it in my book, but on the other hand they aren't required to do anything. But this was not an event out of their control. I can't imagine everyone in the upper management roster that was employed at the start of this week will still be there at the start of next week; gross negligence on this one.

This is well said.

I'd also say that as a Florida resident I would have gotten off for a full refund. I can sit at home and drink on my lanai for a lot less than the cost of sitting on a ship looking at the barge across the port.

As a former uniformed Coastie, I can tell you that inspection results such as this do not correlate to the cruise line having no concern for its passengers.

You might as well have been saying that to the nearest wall. You have been around here long enough to know good and well that ducklite has it out for Royal Caribbean in a big kind of way over ONE SINGLE CRUISE 12 years ago. She is like a broken record repeating the same old tired stuff since 2005 and this was just more to fuel her fire is all. Its like she only involves herself in the threads like this where she can further her anti Royal Caribbean agenda.

We are currently on board Serenade, day two, day at sea.

Our usual schedule for our morning is to have breakfast and then walk some laps on Deck 5,

Promenade outside deck. Well, we could not do that walk today...quess why??

They had most of the deck closed off to pull out all of the life jackets for inspection. Wonder

why today??!! :eek: ;) Actually this is the first time we have ever seen them do that

on all of the RCI ships we have been on so far.

Curious if any of the other ships are suddenly having a full unscheduled life jacket inspection

today? ;)

Probably a lot of that going on fleet wide this morning.;)

As a former uniformed Coastie, I can tell you that inspection results such as this do not correlate to the cruise line having no concern for its passengers.

And I echo sentiments that I'd be ticked off at this situation. Someone at RCI was not doing their job and ultimately the Captain is responsible for his or her ship and should know and correct any safety deficiencies. "What did the Captain know, and when did they know it?"

I will echo Paul's statement, and add that without knowing what the exact condition of the lifejackets were, and how many were considered "condemned" out of how many were replaced, I will withhold judgement of RCI. Having been the recipient of a vast number of USCG inspections (since I have worked almost exclusively US flag ships), I can tell you that there is some "opinion" and "gray area" involved in most inspections. I have had one CG office complete our annual inspection and write up some deficiencies, and when we had corrected the deficiencies and had inspectors from another CG office down to clear the deficiencies, they would say "they wrote that up? Why?" Each inspector places his/her own interpretation on the regulations, and in many cases it is just easier to say "yes, sir" and follow through rather than fight something that could be interpreted by another inspector as being fine under the regulations. This incident, and some salient facts, should become public knowledge in a couple of months when this is posted on the USCG PSC webpage for PSC detentions.

Regarding having the lifejackets on the promenade deck, it was my understanding that they renewed the vast majority of them (filling a dumpster), so those jackets would have been distributed to the cabins for the night, and then collected to allow stenciling of the ship's name.

This is well said.

I'd also say that as a Florida resident I would have gotten off for a full refund. I can sit at home and drink on my lanai for a lot less than the cost of sitting on a ship looking at the barge across the port.

Personally I find that to be short sighted. Stay onboard and get the credit.

The ones most affected are the out of state people.

I have spent 13 nights on board Majesty over the past month. From the service, to the food, and entertainment - EVERYTHING was outstanding! I was actually shocked how perfect everything was for a much older ship.

The Majesty has one of the best Hotel Director's in the fleet, John Denton. He hand selects his staff, and it's by far the best I've ever seen.

They will get her back up and running today.

Luckily the bad life jackets were not needed or there would have been some unfortunate imperfections discovered... :(

That may well be the case. But this situation I think equates somewhat in the medical world to a pharmacy handing out expired drugs. Even though those drugs are probably still perfectly functional the expiration date is there for a reason and it is not acceptable to use them. I am finding it a bit difficult to find a way to put any positive spin on this thread with RCI. How do you not monitor expiration dates on safety devices? Are they serving any food past its expiration date? Would you like to be eating it?

I may be wrong, but the only mention of expiration dates has not been confirmed, and the only reports I've seen here talk about worn lifejackets (from posters onboard) and RCI statements ("showing their age"). Until I see the detention report, or a statment from the USCG, I will withhold judgement on whether the lifejackets were "expired".

As a matter of fact, I don't remember seeing any "expiration" date on lifejackets, so I checked, and as I thought, there are no requirements from either SOLAS or USCG for an expiration date on a non-inflatable lifejacket. Inflatable ones have expiration dates, since the material is subjected to the inflation stress. Lifejacket lights and batteries have expiration dates, but not the jacket, so let's dismiss the "out of date" argument right now.

That may well be the case. But this situation I think equates somewhat in the medical world to a pharmacy handing out expired drugs. Even though those drugs are probably still perfectly functional the expiration date is there for a reason and it is not acceptable to use them. I am finding it a bit difficult to find a way to put any positive spin on this thread with RCI. How do you not monitor expiration dates on safety devices? Are they serving any food past its expiration date? Would you like to be eating it?

I understand your point and concern and they are definitely valid. Im just saying that I take nothing she says seriously and never will nor do think anyone else that has been around here for very long does either. Anyone that holds a grudge that long after ONE single cruise cant expect to be taken seriously. Especially how she only appears in these controversial threads where she can go on her anti Royal diatribe?

Thats all from me on the topic of ducklite though. Back to your regularly scheduled "Royal Caribbean sucks because they have old lifejackets and put your safety at risk" thread :)

I haven't read all of this thread but has it been proven that the lifejackets were ordered to be replaced solely on being past an expiration date?

Like you stated once past an expiration date they go whether they look good or not and that is a simple thing to monitor and I would not be happy if that were the case and in my opinion that would be pure negligence.

Perhaps as the Chiefeng mentioned though they were removed as they fell into an area that was open to some interpretation of what is acceptable and what is not. Perhaps they were approaching the end of their life expectancy (could even be a couple years from the hard expiry date) but that caused the inspector to take a much closer look at the jackets and maybe they determined that they should be replaced as a precautionary measure based on what he saw at the time of that inspection. Since that is an opinion offered by one persons interpretation it is something where Royal may not have had the same opinion on, which does not necessarily make them negligent.

Until the reports come out with more details we are all guessing.

Edit. Typing as the Chief was replying above.

I'm surprised that there would be that many people getting off the ship due to the delay. I would be disappointed but I wouldn't get off. I would have packed gone to the port and arranged the days off. It's not the same by any means as being at sea but you are on a cruise ship not working and having drinks in sunny Florida. Does anyone know what if any compensation was offered?

Read over all the post and have sailed Majesty of Seas often along with Monarch and Soveriegn; finding the smaller ships quite nice. Altho being from Pennsylvania; we winter in Kissimmee and sailing from Pt Canaveral is very convenient. If we had been on the Majesty this trip; not sure if I wold have stayed on and taken the 25% or left for a full refund. Can't say that there was much missed on a 4 day cruise xcept for the sea day. As far as all the discussions about the older ships being 'OLD', etc....some of the 'not so old' ships on any line have repairs needed. Just think 365 days a year not a day goes by that there is no activity on these ships. AND some passengers could care less as its' 'NOT their home'. The mega ships are beautiful and have lots to offer; but next time on one.....look around!!.....prefer the Freedom Class mysellf....Sadly, took Freedom to Ft Lauderdale(3 hour dive) and will be going to Barcelona(???flying time)

BTW....John&LaLa......love your 'Office View'..... R U HIRING??

Yep. Plenty of room on those tables. Line up the Life Jackets and make an assembly line. Play some music, make it into game like musical chairs. ;)

I think this is from Harmony. Not sure MJ has quite the extensive setup

BTW, the smilies look more modern now, but still can't select them :(

I will echo Paul's statement, and add that without knowing what the exact condition of the lifejackets were, and how many were considered "condemned" out of how many were replaced, I will withhold judgement of RCI. Having been the recipient of a vast number of USCG inspections (since I have worked almost exclusively US flag ships), I can tell you that there is some "opinion" and "gray area" involved in most inspections. I have had one CG office complete our annual inspection and write up some deficiencies, and when we had corrected the deficiencies and had inspectors from another CG office down to clear the deficiencies, they would say "they wrote that up? Why?" Each inspector places his/her own interpretation on the regulations, and in many cases it is just easier to say "yes, sir" and follow through rather than fight something that could be interpreted by another inspector as being fine under the regulations. This incident, and some salient facts, should become public knowledge in a couple of months when this is posted on the USCG PSC webpage for PSC detentions.

Regarding having the lifejackets on the promenade deck, it was my understanding that they renewed the vast majority of them (filling a dumpster), so those jackets would have been distributed to the cabins for the night, and then collected to allow stenciling of the ship's name.

Regarding what does a captain know and when; I'd expect any/all SOLAS related issues for a captain to be informed of. If someone at a lower level has not done their job properly and reported that to the Captain, I'd still place responsibility at the Captain. The master of the vessel is the one who is responsible. This is not entertainment schedule, or cosmetic wear and tear issues, hotel functional issues, etc.

Is it common for a ship to have life jackets pass a routine inspection with no further notation and then fail the next inspection? What is usually the amount of time between these inspections? Would the coast guard have informed RCI that the jackets passed but were nearing a replacement date / threshold? Salt water/ocean air environments are rough on equipment so you constantly see ships being worked on. I'm just surprised it got to this point. Seems like "amateur hour" to have this happen. I don't think RCI values profits above life and safety, but I think someone or some people screwed up big time.

I have no desire to live on the coast, so it doesn't really matter what your view is like.

I used to live near Orlando, don't miss it in the least. :rolleyes:

My lanai didn't have much a view either. ;)

Good to have choices.