Celebrity Edge bookings open March 13th

CRUISEBOY305

Personal speculation regarding the stateroom redefinition;

- beds towards the windows, after all why put a bed sideways whilst it's the largest piece in a cabin and plus the necessary needed walking space when it's less space consuming and more fun to place it looking towards the ocean?

- the integrated balcony, a part or the full width of the window can be lowered to make it a railing, a different flooring and dual purpose weather resistant furniture to complete the balcony area.

That's pretty redefining to me, some of those innovations are used on newer river cruise ships too.

The fact that STX has a design study of an (expedition 200 pax) cruise ship with the vertical bow design and the above... who knows?

20150403143253252-43gd.jpg

20150403142921716-43gd.jpg

20150403143610031-43gd.jpg

2lwx6pg.png

All images are from STX's desing study Ulysseas and are not Edge or Celebrity's; http://www.stxfrance.com/UK/stxfrance-reference-43-ULYSSEAS.awp

Personal speculation regarding the stateroom redefinition;

- beds towards the windows, after all why put a bed sideways whilst it's the largest piece in a cabin and plus the necessary needed walking space when it's less space consuming and more fun to place it looking towards the ocean?

- the integrated balcony, a part or the full width of the window can be lowered to make it a railing, a different flooring and dual purpose weather resistant furniture to complete the balcony area.

That's pretty redefining to me, some of those innovations are used on newer river cruise ships too.

The fact that STX has a design study of an (expedition 200 pax) cruise ship with the vertical bow design and the above... who knows?

All images are from STX's desing study Ulysseas and are not Edge or Celebrity's; http://www.stxfrance.com/UK/stxfrance-reference-43-ULYSSEAS.awp

We will find out soon enough won't we? I have to say Celebrity has done a great job keeping EDGE under wraps. Usually a rendering or two of the ship will leak out, but not with EDGE. The most we have seen is a steel cut away that shows the outline of the ship, and that is all. Based on that outline, EDGE may not be a very pretty ship on the exterior, but it's the interior that really counts! I've read that EDGE is based off the TUI Mein Schiff new builds, but with a blunt bow like AIDA PRIMA. It makes sense as TUI is a cousin of Royal Caribbean/Celebrity with the many on the TUI new build team from Royal Caribbean.

Regarding the cabins, the design you showcased is quite interesting, and of course the lowering window wall has been used on European river ships for almost a decade now. It hasn't made its way to ocean ships but maybe EDGE will change that? I'm just hoping we don't see the split bathroom with the sink in the room like NORWEGIAN EPIC. Some early cabin design considerations leaked out a long time ago that included that split bathroom.

On board they are turning the deck chairs to face out in honor of the new ship. What in the heck is that supposed to mean?

That's odd... Are you talking about the lounge chairs on the sun decks onboard the ships?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On board they are turning the deck chairs to face out in honor of the new ship. What in the heck is that supposed to mean?

Assuming you mean turning them to face the ocean, the only think I can think of is that Edge will be very connected to the sea.

:confused::confused::confused:

Assuming you mean turning them to face the ocean, the only think I can think of is that Edge will be very connected to the sea.

:confused::confused::confused:

I certainly hope so! A cruise ship is an ocean going vessel, not a train or plane. It SHOULD be more connected to the sea by it's very nature. The recent trend of some cruise lines making the ship the destination at the expense of minimizing the exposure to the sea is not my idea of cruising. Views of the water should be readily available, and there should be areas of the ship that are as close to the water as safely possible. Perhaps with Edge we will see the return of the promenade deck?

On a recent Eclipse cruise, the future booking agents all said it would be 7 nighters to begin with. Dont know if that could mean that later on there may be something different.

And last week on the Eclipse the future booking agent I spoke to said she thought it would be longer cruises.

I pointed out to her that 7 day cruises seem to be more profitable so I sadly figured that's what she would sail at the beginning.

Maybe you spoke to my agent after i told her my theory.:D

While on our December cruise we were told the balcony could be closed to the sea and opened to the stateroom, thus adding more space to both.

The site that was linked to on an earlier post showed a 4 day cruise on 12/12/18 then 7 day cruises from Florida. The Edge disappeared from their site shortly after I looked at it. We would like longer cruises but understand why Celebrity would start with 7 days. Looks like my 70th birthday cruise on Edge will turn into my 71st.:loudcry:

And last week on the Eclipse the future booking agent I spoke to said she thought it would be longer cruises.

I pointed out to her that 7 day cruises seem to be more profitable so I sadly figured that's what she would sail at the beginning.

Maybe you spoke to my agent after i told her my theory.:D

I hope the answer you got first is the correct one.

Hard to see much indeed. It's interesting that one of the floors doesn't have a balcony. Or maybe it's a two floor suite...

Will soon know more :)

Looks like the bow of the ship, or maybe aft (not aft-facing) unusual place for a suite??

It looks like a first rendering popped up at this page:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/ships

Looks like a very pricy split level suite... I can rule myself out of that option straight away... [emoji33][emoji23]

Not long now till all (maybe not all) will be revealed [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After Edge and Beyond, what names might fit for this series? How about Apogee? Or is that too out there? I think Horizon and Galaxy might fit, but I don't think Celebrity if likely to revive a name used in the past....

ap·o·gee

ˈapəjē/

noun

the highest point in the development of something; the climax or culmination.

ASTRONOMY
    the point in the orbit of the moon or a satellite at which it is furthest from the earth.