Celebrity Edge bookings open March 13th

CRUISEBOY305

Sorry, I have a hard time thinking of a ship that size is small. I go back to when the Century was considered large and people on this board swore they would never sail her since she was so big.

You still missed my point. I didn't mean it as if the ships were going to be small. I meant that they are going to be smaller than what most mainstream cruise lines are choosing to build (as well as smaller than the S Class).

PS: Sorry for taking two days to respond to this.

You still missed my point. I didn't mean it as if the ships were going to be small. I meant that they are going to be smaller than what most mainstream cruise lines are choosing to build (as well as smaller than the S Class).

PS: Sorry for taking two days to respond to this.

I got your point, just passing on an observation from the past.

Over the last 10 months or so I wondered if the "cutting edge" design would mean a catamaran style hull..... Take a good look at the propeller wash in this photo. Notice the calm water between the 2 prop washes? The steel cutting photo showed a square front edge... like catamaran hulls have..... We shall see kids, we shall see!

Well seeing as how there is no Edge ship in the water yet, I sincerely doubt this is a picture of the backwash of an Edge class ship.

It's possible that all of this 'cutting edge' technology Celebrity keep hinting at may be related to some new, environmentally friendly, greener ship design rather than being focussed on the passenger experience.

I doubt it will be a catamaran style vessel because as has already been said it would lose so much useable space for storage and crew.

So, in time we will see.

I just sincerely hope they do away with Blu, Lumiae and Tuscan etc and launch completely new bar and restaurants etc. I'll be very disappointed if we see a Blu restaurant with the same menu that's being doing the rounds for the last five years.

I really don't understand your comment at all. Blu is the easiest dining experience to avoid. Just don't sail Aqua class. Also, it doesn't matter what dining venues are on board the new ships, I am certain there are people who will complain bitterly about them.

You do realize that was probably a Photoshop picture, right? That is unless they still use Coral Draw. :eek:

I think it is a certainty that it is photoshopped. They just started cutting steel a few weeks ago. The question is why did they photoshop it in a way where the center water is completely undisturbed?

I cannot wait to see what itins the new Edge ship will offer. Right now our only choice for Dec 2018 or April 2019 is Equinox. That is fine, just not crazy about the itins. So want to see if Edge is coming to S FL, what itins it will offer and I can move one of my cruises to an Edge ship if the itin is better than what the Equinox is offering

Agreed and I never implied it was... but it is likely photoshopped. Why undisturbed wated in the center tho?

You have been fanning your fantasy about Edge being a catamaran for months now. Since you so stubbornly refuse to give up this idea in spite of numerous posts stating why it can't possibly be such a design, will you be coming back on these threads to admit you were wrong when it turns out it isn't what you are so convinced it will be? :cool:

But if X eliminate class dining, you take away choices for prospective cruisers to make. That said, I'd be amazed if they did.

I'm confused. First you hope they do away with Blu and Luminae, and now you want class dining? Also, I thought I recalled a thread not that long ago where you were trying to trade to an Aqua cabin from someone who had to cancel? Perhaps I'm not recalling correctly. Anyway, it seems they simply can not please you.

Here's what I expect on March 13th - a deck plan showing the locations and grades of cabins with all other area marked "more to come". Maybe a few renders of the rooms and if we are lucky an image of the exterior that gives away little more than the general "look" of the ship. Of course there will also be itineraries and pricing. If they are consistent with parent Royal it would be just like with the launch of the Oasis and Quantum classes for sale. NCL has done the same with the Breakaway and Breakway plus classes.

Here's what I expect on March 13th - a deck plan showing the locations and grades of cabins with all other area marked "more to come". Maybe a few renders of the rooms and if we are lucky an image of the exterior that gives away little more than the general "look" of the ship. Of course there will also be itineraries and pricing. If they are consistent with parent Royal it would be just like with the launch of the Oasis and Quantum classes for sale. NCL has done the same with the Breakaway and Breakway plus classes.

Yes, this has been mentioned previously on this thread - a roll out similar to the Oasis opening.

People are overthinking this Edge roll out. We may have already been given a preview courtesy of Andrey Melnichenko:

Celebrity Edge will be 229 meters in length, have no less than five sailing masts, magnetically driven impellers, and instead of a pool, there will have a battery of laser guided missiles and a C-Ram for defense, allowing her to safely sail in unsettled parts of the world. Featuring opulently appointed staterooms, although there will be no balconies, passenger capacity will be 125 lucky individuals.

And The Celebrity Edge will be the ugliest passenger vessel on the Seven Seas.

People are overthinking this Edge roll out. We may have already been given a preview courtesy of Andrey Melnichenko:

Celebrity Edge will be 229 meters in length, have no less than five sailing masts, magnetically driven impellers, and instead of a pool, there will have a battery of laser guided missiles and a C-Ram for defense, allowing her to safely sail in unsettled parts of the world. Featuring opulently appointed staterooms, although there will be no balconies, passenger capacity will be 125 lucky individuals.

And The Celebrity Edge will be the ugliest passenger vessel on the Seven Seas.

Do you think the Edge will have low-rider hydraulics to show off in the water as they pass other ships?

Not that they want to imitate Carnival, but they were smart and had their new ship Vista do a few cruises after the transatlantic out of NYC before moving the ship to Miami. This allowed them to satisfy the NY crowd with a few cruises and let agents in the area see the ship before it moved to Florida.

This is the same strategy used by Celebrity when they launched the Solstice.

This is the same strategy used by Celebrity when they launched the Solstice.

We were lucky to get a Silhouette sailing RT from Bayonne when she first came on,...have been on her after that and going back next year. Sailing from Bayonne was close to home but recall we returned to snow on our car,,,..I believe the port and parking have been improved but not much you can do about the weather!

Edited by hcat

I agree, it would be great to see Celebrity adjust ship designs to include distinct features. We love cruising on Celebrity, but would appreciate more variety dining venues, activities, decor and shows. After a bit they all seem to blend together.

We have enjoyed BLU and AQ.....closest we have come.to suite life,..Agree the menu in BLU could be changed up but I believe AQ was a big hit,,.so much so it led to Luminae, would not like more extra pay a la carte venues like Sushi...and hope prices on S class might go down if Edge is very popular,..

Guess we will find out fairly soon,,once bookings open we will know about the ships, itins, dining and perks if any, There will probably continue be a shift from loyalty perks to cabin level incentives,

Edited by hcat

I agree, it would be great to see Celebrity adjust ship designs to include distinct features. We love cruising on Celebrity, but would appreciate more variety dining venues, activities, decor and shows. After a bit they all seem to blend together.

I agree. That's why from a marketing perspective I think we should see some changes. If she sails with the same Blu menu that has been around for years I would be very disappointed!

I don't even know if I'd keep aqua and concierge class if it were up to me to me to be honest. I have a few ideas where I'd change things around to make it different but still compatible with the existing captains club etc. Just like the three Galapagos ships are.

Will Celebrity's site crash on the 13th with the rollout of the Edge or will there just be a small glitch in the system? How many of us will won't be booking the Edge because we can't make a booking? Seriously, I hope things are smooth sailing and people don't go over the edge after trying to find out information to book and not be able to...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Will Celebrity's site crash on the 13th with the rollout of the Edge or will there just be a small glitch in the system? How many of us will won't be booking the Edge because we can't make a booking? Seriously, I hope things are smooth sailing and people don't go over the edge after trying to find out information to book and not be able to...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My memory isn't what it used to be but when they rolled out S class, were first day bookings not all done by telephone?

You have been fanning your fantasy about Edge being a catamaran for months now. Since you so stubbornly refuse to give up this idea in spite of numerous posts stating why it can't possibly be such a design, will you be coming back on these threads to admit you were wrong when it turns out it isn't what you are so convinced it will be? :cool:

"Fantasy"? No, Bold Prediction? Yes. "stubbornly refuse"? We don't KNOW yet. "in spite of numerous posts "? Truth does not give way to the popular vote. Am I correct? Am I wrong in my "prediction"? Time will tell. Will I come back to these threads IF I am wrong? Without a freaking doubt. Will you if my PREDICTION is right?

"Fantasy"? No, Bold Prediction? Yes. "stubbornly refuse"? We don't KNOW yet. "in spite of numerous posts "? Truth does not give way to the popular vote. Am I correct? Am I wrong in my "prediction"? Time will tell. Will I come back to these threads IF I am wrong? Without a freaking doubt. Will you if my PREDICTION is right?

But I won't have to say a thing since it will be you that will be wrong. ;)

OK, I will play your game. I make this BOLD prediction: the Edge will be a semi submersible ship. It will have underwater viewing cabins instead of balconies. At ports, it will pump out the ballast tanks so the ship will be high enough to dock at most ports. While underway, they will flood the ballast tanks and lower the ship so it rests with just the public decks above the surface. The intention is to give the ship the EDGE of being very close to the water, thereby giving passengers the feel that they are on a tiny tropical island. The outer deck areas will be covered in sand to the outside EDGES - sorry, grass lovers, no more lawns - which will be just a foot or two above the water surface, resulting in the EDGY feel of being on a beach. They will plant palm trees at the EDGE of the sandy areas to help create the island illusion. If waves become too large, they can raise the ship accordingly by pumping water out of the ballast tanks. All of this will give the ship the EDGE of being closer to the ocean than any ship before it. Because the ship is partially submerged, there will be less side to side rolling in heavy seas, taking the EDGE off of seasickness problems.

A side effect is that in case of an abandon ship scenario, the upper decks will be just above the surface, making is much easier to get into lifeboats and simply float away. This will the the ship the EDGE of being safer than all other ships before it.

That is my prediction, and I am sticking to it. I am convinced by the photo of the profile that I am correct about this (do you see any balconies in the cutout? NO!). Even the stern wake in the promotional ad indicates that I am correct, although I am not certain why. Trust me, it just does.