Celebrity Edge bookings open March 13th

CRUISEBOY305

I got the email too! As a Captains Club member. Someone said there is a cruise conference around the same time so hopefully news will follow through about the ship then. It's very unusual that there is hardly any info about these ships! I hope that there are some short inaugural cruises from Europe!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Many of us are Captain's Club members but receive no emails about anything from Celebrity.....I haven't received an email

from them in ages and ages and didn't get anything about Edge either.

I am sure that Celebrity is loving all of our comments, along with reading each and everyone of them...I sure hope the changes are going to make us want to sail on the Edge. I still remember the open concept photos that were posted quite a while ago, not that the cabins will look like that, but I am hoping for a more open feel...and some sweet suites!

I wonder if they will have a presale for Captains Club members before the general public

That's kind of the feeling I got from the Captain's club mgr. in his e-mail to me. We already have a cruise lined up on the Eclipse next Jan.(14 days) we'll check what is to be offered. Always a little leery of being the first to try out a new ship. I didn't go so well for those on the Titanic.

I received the same email BUT how can we book when we don't know what the ship looks like, where it will be going or the pricing?

Ship's gross tonnage is about 117,000 tons. Not much smaller than the Solstice class. If the plan is to target the Oceania/Viking market, then be assured the prices will be quite a bit higher.

4cf198abbf3359648ce38e1c6064521c.jpg

Over the last 10 months or so I wondered if the "cutting edge" design would mean a catamaran style hull..... Take a good look at the propeller wash in this photo. Notice the calm water between the 2 prop washes? The steel cutting photo showed a square front edge... like catamaran hulls have..... We shall see kids, we shall see!

Over the last 10 months or so I wondered if the "cutting edge" design would mean a catamaran style hull..... Take a good look at the propeller wash in this photo. Notice the calm water between the 2 prop washes? The steel cutting photo showed a square front edge... like catamaran hulls have..... We shall see kids, we shall see!
This is a picture I took from our Eclipse balcony last month. If you look closely, you'll see the calm water between the 2 prop washes close to the ship. Those are the two azipods. Eclipse%20wake_zpskpxgtzuh.jpg

Catamaran designs are impractical for such large ships. The largest catamaran passenger ship ever built is the MV China Star. At only 440 ft long, she is a less than half the length of the Edge class, and carries only 10% as many passengers. Imagine how much usable interior space is lost with a catamaran design. Where the typical ship has interior space down to and below the waterline throughout it's entire width, catamarans loose much of the space from about the 5th deck down.

The blunt bow design is the latest thinking on ship efficiency. Although it appears to be a step into the past - the titanic had a similar bow profile - studies have indicated that a straight bow is actually better at cutting through the water than a slanted bow. Several modern cruise ships have used this design, including AIDAPrima, shown in the attached photo. BTW: Don't get me started on the horrid hull art on AIDA ships, including this one. :evilsmile:

aidaprima-710x434.jpg

Edited by SantaFeFan

I'll be on pre-cruise holiday March 13, with little desire to use my much anticipated non-ship vacation time to study all things Edge. But once onboard Eclipse March 19, they'll most likely have to kick me out of FutureCruise area for spending so much time in there! I'm sure my cabin choices will have already been snapped up on many of the first-year sailings, by the time I get on board that following week, but I think it will be fun to chat-up the FutureCruise folks and other Edge-minded passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We were on Eclipse 6 months into the inaugural season. We had a 1A hump cabin, but there was a nasty smell in the corridor outside our room. I rang Guest services and the evening before we disembarked we had a phone call to say that we would be sent Future Cruise certificates because we had been inconvenienced. Their value was £335 p.p.

This you received your Future Cruise Certificate?

It's possible that all of this 'cutting edge' technology Celebrity keep hinting at may be related to some new, environmentally friendly, greener ship design rather than being focussed on the passenger experience.

I doubt it will be a catamaran style vessel because as has already been said it would lose so much useable space for storage and crew.

So, in time we will see.

I just sincerely hope they do away with Blu, Lumiae and Tuscan etc and launch completely new bar and restaurants etc. I'll be very disappointed if we see a Blu restaurant with the same menu that's being doing the rounds for the last five years.

No e-mail here either. We are Elite-Plus. Guess we are the minions who have to wait and see. Really don't care since we wouldn't book the ship before at least it's first few voyages. I truly believe this class might push us away because of price. Right now the S class are way overpriced, and the M class doesn't seem to be staying in the States from now on. With handicapped issues, that is our cruise of choice after all these years so, it's a "wait and see" with us.

It will be very interesting to see what happens.

PatC

I've seen to water off the aft end. while the middle isn't all bubbly from the props it is disturbed by the hull. The water in the middle of the ad is clearly undisturbed. Not "pressed down" from the ship.

We shall all know soon if my prediction is correct.

You do realize that was probably a Photoshop picture, right? That is unless they still use Coral Draw. :eek:

I've seen to water off the aft end. while the middle isn't all bubbly from the props it is disturbed by the hull. The water in the middle of the ad is clearly undisturbed. Not "pressed down" from the ship.

We shall all know soon if my prediction is correct.

Believe what you want. A catamaran design is not happening. Besides, if the ship is not yet built, how could they have taken a photo of it's prop wash for the ad? :confused:

BTW: the prop wash in both the ad and ChucktownSteve's photo look very similar to me.

I just sincerely hope they do away with Blu, Lumiae and Tuscan etc and launch completely new bar and restaurants etc. I'll be very disappointed if we see a Blu restaurant with the same menu that's being doing the rounds for the last five years.

If X will eliminate " class" dining, I hope multiple dining rooms will offer better experience than RC Anthem did.

If X will eliminate " class" dining, I hope multiple dining rooms will offer better experience than RC Anthem did.

But if X eliminate class dining, you take away choices for prospective cruisers to make. That said, I'd be amazed if they did.

I suspect the poster meant getting rid of the MDR, which is a persistent rumor with Edge. RCL did that with Quantum, opting for quite a number of smaller restaurants, some for free and some for a fee. The free ones were not universally adored.

Oh is this the new Edge suite thread? Sorry for joining the party so late guys! :cool:

Actually I was reminded on another thread about single travelers. I wonder if Edge is going to have any of the smaller cabins that other lines have put on new ships for single travelers.