Celebrity Edge bookings open March 13th

CRUISEBOY305

The world keeps changing. Almost all cruise lines in all categories are continually increasing the size of their ships. Seabourn dumped their 9,975 ton yachts and now only sail 32,000-40,350 ton ships [that's a 4x jump]. Oceania doubled the size of the R-ships (30,277) in their newer O-class (66,048). Crystal, which nobody can doubt is a true Luxury line, is going all the way to 100,000 on their three new ships. So it is actually very big news that Celebrity's newest design is smaller than their previous class (117,000 vs 121,878-125,366) [not that much larger than the M-class (90,940)]

Watch out, someone asked the question how big the new ships would be and I provided the answer from the press release. I was then attacked for providing marketing hype as some feel the new ships will actually be bigger.

By the way, I am well aware that things change, just trying to provide some perspective.

Watch out, someone asked the question how big the new ships would be and I provided the answer from the press release. I was then attacked for providing marketing hype as some feel the new ships will actually be bigger.

By the way, I am well aware that things change, just trying to provide some perspective.

Where were you attacked? I must have missed those posts. I only saw people offering their thoughts and opinions. Not the same thing in my book.

Sorry, I have a hard time thinking of a ship that size is small. I go back to when the Century was considered large and people on this board swore they would never sail her since she was so big.

Boy, do we love the Pacific Princess

I disagree with those who feel this email implies a pre-sale for Captain's Club members. It says they want us to be the first "to know" that bookings will open on that date but does not assure us that we will have exclusive access to them.

We sailed the Solstice 2 weeks after she was launched and it was a great cruise.

We also sailed the second week on the Solstice (in the US that is). We had originally booked the inaugural but closer to the sailing they pushed it up 2 weeks. That opened up 2 extra weeks that they had to fill within a few months. Got a fantastic deal on Blu the week after inauguration.

What a great time. Clean ship, new Blu concept.... Loved it.

Not the first time. If I remember correctly Royal Princess was about the same. Very little info before she went on sale. Won't be booking but very excited to hear about her.

I remember the hype when Princess came out with the Largest ship of the early 90's - Grand Princess. Sailings were sold out a year in advance. We were on second Caribbean sailing after crossing - what a cruise that was! Will never for get it.

I have a Gmail account and it was in my "Promotions" folder and not in the Primary folder. If you are a Captains Club member, you may want to check any SPAM folders for that email. It isn't anything special as other members have already posted what it says and looks like but in case some feel slighted for not getting that email you may want to double check your other folders.

I recall prior to when the 'S' class ships were launched they have a video of the ship in the theater about its unique features.

I'll be on the Eclipse for a TA in April, hoping we can get glimpse on what to expect.

BTW: I did not get the announcement.

I have a Gmail account and it was in my "Promotions" folder and not in the Primary folder. If you are a Captains Club member, you may want to check any SPAM folders for that email. It isn't anything special as other members have already posted what it says and looks like but in case some feel slighted for not getting that email you may want to double check your other folders.

Or perhaps they are targeting a certain audience for the new ships - just a thought :confused:? Is there a common ground with all those that have received the email? Certainly not country specific ;). More likely, though, it's just a random picking with X's IT systems :D.

I disagree with those who feel this email implies a pre-sale for Captain's Club members. It says they want us to be the first "to know" that bookings will open on that date but does not assure us that we will have exclusive access to them.

Wow, you are right! I completely missed that because I guess I saw what I wanted/expected to see!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow, you are right! I completely missed that because I guess I saw what I wanted/expected to see!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do think there will be a pre-sale but who knows, for sure, at this point?

This is all reminiscent of when RCL unveiled Oasis of the Seas. By the time it went on sale, many areas of the ship had not been unveiled, which did not at all hurt sales. I believe the thinking was that as each new wave of features was announced, a new wave of bookings would arrive. RCL (as does X) has enough cruisers who trust them to deliver and will jump in without knowing all the details. I suspect that when Edge goes on sale, the same principles will apply. We will be booking.

Or perhaps they are targeting a certain audience for the new ships - just a thought :confused:? Is there a common ground with all those that have received the email? Certainly not country specific ;). More likely, though, it's just a random picking with X's IT systems :D.

Hmm. I didn't get an email. Now, what would you suggest 'a certain audience' might be? :D

Where were you attacked? I must have missed those posts. I only saw people offering their thoughts and opinions. Not the same thing in my book.
From a previous thread, your post.

"I agree. The "It's bigger than M class but smaller than S class" has been banded about parrot fashion for some time now. People are really buying into the Celebrity marketing..."

So I'm a parrot for daring to quote the Celebrity press release. I realize you quoted someone else but your post implies plural. There are others but I should not have gone off topic and for that I apologize.

I do think there will be a pre-sale but who knows, for sure, at this point?This is all reminiscent of when RCL unveiled Oasis of the Seas. By the time it went on sale, many areas of the ship had not been unveiled, which did not at all hurt sales. I believe the thinking was that as each new wave of features was announced, a new wave of bookings would arrive. RCL (as does X) has enough cruisers who trust them to deliver and will jump in without knowing all the details. I suspect that when Edge goes on sale, the same principles will apply. We will be booking.

Yes, I remember the Oasis frenzy :D. There was even a separate thread on the main Royal board (by the stickies) for all those to discuss what they'd booked before knowing all the details ;). And remember all the guessing for those new types of cabins/suites, lofts etc.?

I have no idea, but....you know there's always a conspiracy theory ;p.

Given that half the email I receive from Celebrity is addressed to someone named Gayla (the name of nobody in my home), I'm guessing this is more about Celebrity's ability than any strategy.

Given that half the email I receive from Celebrity is addressed to someone named Gayla (the name of nobody in my home), I'm guessing this is more about Celebrity's ability than any strategy.
Don't feel bad, my son joined the Captains Club when he was six, back in 92 or so. Alll the emails I receive are addressed to him for over 20 years, just can't get it changed. He's now 32

Don't feel bad, my son joined the Captains Club when he was six, back in 92 or so. Alll the emails I receive are addressed to him for over 20 years, just can't get it changed. He's now 32

Lol :D. As I stated above, it's more likely something to do with X's 'hit or miss' IT offerings, but it's so much more interesting to say there's a reason why one received an email ;p.

The only thing about the e mail is that it gives you a chance to sign up for more promotional e mails....oh joy!

Is there anything being discussed on soc media sites?

We did leave room in our cruise cal for Edge but only if the itin and price works for us...more info needed before booking..