Coin Operated laundry on Royal Caribbean Ships?

IIRC, Oceania also has self-service laundries.

Personally, count me in with those who don't want to do my own laundry...ever.

We usually don't do cruises over 7 nights on RCCL...When we do our Summer cruising, it's usually a 13-16 night cruise in Europe...along with up to 2 weeks of pre- and post-cruise...So, with 50 pound airline luggage restrictions, some form of laundry service is essential. Luckily for us, our line of choice for these cruises is Celebrity...and as Elite Plus Captain's Club members, we get two free bags of laundry each--which usually covers us (Elite gets one free bag each). We have just learned to pack the paper bag carefully so it doesn't tear. We also get some free dry cleaned items as well.

We won't get that this time on our RCCL back-to-backs where we have Diamond status (I do believe we get some sort of discount on the bag though). Psychologically, I DO like getting my laundry done free...but, in reality, I don't mind paying a little for it. By the bag makes it easy. When you have to pay by the piece, it's a little maddening paying $2 for washing a pair of socks when the danged things only cost me $9.95 for a six pack at Costco! It may make more sense to buy socks in port and throw the used ones away!

For our cruises next month, we're doing 4 nights in Italy followed by two 7-nighters back-to-back followed by four more nights in Italy...that's a lot of clothes to pack. But, we're also spending a LOT of money on the cruise, so another few dollars for laundry won't be that big a deal...Oh, and I trust them washing it...I've never had a problem with the ship's services...but I've ruined lots of clothes washing them myself...

Exactly.

In fact, people here are saying adding laundry would cost RCL revenue...but I would never take a longer cruise on RCL because they dont have machines.

I did a 15 night Princess cruise with 3 days on land at each end. 21 days total in Europe. The laundry machines were ESSENTIAL.

If its a ship that ONLY does 3,4, or 7 night trips - no laundry needed. But if youre trying to sell longer packages, laundry facilities are a must.

We were on Radiance for 29 days last fall and didn't have any issues with laundry. We watched for the wash & fold sale days and any other laundry sale days. For delicate items, I hand washed those items and hung them on the deck to try. So laundry facilities are definitely not essential.

It's obviously a preference thing, but I agree a self-service laundry would be a nice addition. We were just on a 12-day Med cruise after spending 4 days in Barcelona prior and it really would have been nice to be able to do a load of laundry. Instead, we packed carefully (overpacked a bit on dressier outfits, though) and handwashed socks and underwear. Hubby is quite ingenious and crafted a clothes line on our oversized balcony that was inconspicuous when in use. I wasn't about to pay $35 for laundry, especially when the bag could not contain blouses or pants! In the end, though, we had to buy another suitcase and pay the $100 airline fee to check it on our return. (We bought a LOT of stuff!) I would have loved to pack less and skip that charge.

Agree....or just press something....Would love RCI to have added this to HOTS and newer ships when being built. This was the only great feature that stood out to me on my one and only PCL cruise.
LOL, sorry have to laugh, real hard, when you think having washing machines on a cruise ship is a "great" feature.....:eek:

I don't really get it. Those that are against doing laundry on a cruise are saying that they do laundry in their bathroom sink and hang it around their cabin to dry. I would find it easier to do it in a self serve machine and not have to do it in the sink and dry it in a dryer. Both take time. I, myself, would rather have the machines and be able to do it the way I want it.

Azamara, RCL's "upscale" line has a self service laundry.

True, but Azamara's ships were not purpose built for Azamara. They were purchased from a line that went out of business. The laundry's were there when Azamara bought them.

I suppose when they were refurbished by Azamara the laundry's could have been taken out, but perhaps as their cruises are usually longer than the mass market lines, they decided to leave them in.

True, but Azamara's ships were not purpose built for Azamara. They were purchased from a line that went out of business. The laundry's were there when Azamara bought them.

I suppose when they were refurbished by Azamara the laundry's could have been taken out, but perhaps as their cruises are usually longer than the mass market lines, they decided to leave them in.

Pullmantur pulled them out. Laundry rooms were reinstalled about five months after they were transferred to Azamara from Pullmantur.

LOL, sorry have to laugh, real hard, when you think having washing machines on a cruise ship is a "great" feature.....:eek:

Certainly was a "great" feature on a 54 night cruise.

It takes more than 24 hours to travel from Australia to some of our cruises (Europe or East Coast USA) plus we always arrive at least one day in advance of the cruise, so that means we have 2-3 days of clothes washing to do before boarding.

We will usually try to find a local laundromat before boarding, but we also bring a scrubba wash bag https://thescrubba.com.au/ and our own detergent. We also use the wash and fold special.

I actually love visiting laundromats in different places - it is a great way to meet and interact with locals and other tourists and thus it isn't a waste of time to me :). I done this in so many places including Disneyworld, NYC, Tokyo, Kyoto, Helsinki, Paris, London, Krakow, etc.. Our absolute favourite was in Japan, where there were little, big and bigger machines, an extremely clean environment and a guest book! My daughter left a message in the book and when we returned a week later, there was a charming reply :)

7222186.JPG

I would also like doing this aboard a ship - so much easier than washing by hand :)

I don't really get it. Those that are against doing laundry on a cruise are saying that they do laundry in their bathroom sink and hang it around their cabin to dry. I would find it easier to do it in a self serve machine and not have to do it in the sink and dry it in a dryer. Both take time. I, myself, would rather have the machines and be able to do it the way I want it.
True either you want to do wash while on vacation, the key word being vacation, the last thing I want to do when I'm on VACATION. Dry cleaning, pressing, and the wash and fold bag are so very nice.....:)

Certainly was a "great" feature on a 54 night cruise.

Yep, longer cruises, over about 20 days can't imagine not having one. Don't like the detergents they use on most ships (delicate skin), takes up all of about 20 minutes to do a load 5 to pop it on, 5 to change from wash to dry, 10 to fold it up. That includes the time to walk to the laundry.

Wash and fold specials on HOTS? I always have a lot of laundry, and I don't like dirty clothes building up in the cabin. Without a special of some kind I'm looking at 5 or 6 $35 packages on our 7 day HOTS cruise for the four of us. The clothes from the flight are always so big, and DS refuses to wear anything more than once w/o it being laundered...even pajamas...he is autistic so very set in his ways.

Is the laundry scrunch bag effective? I've looked at it and would gladly buy one but would like to hear some reviews first.

Wash and fold specials on HOTS? I always have a lot of laundry, and I don't like dirty clothes building up in the cabin. Without a special of some kind I'm looking at 5 or 6 $35 packages on our 7 day HOTS cruise for the four of us. The clothes from the flight are always so big, and DS refuses to wear anything more than once w/o it being laundered...even pajamas...he is autistic so very set in his ways.

Is the laundry scrunch bag effective? I've looked at it and would gladly buy one but would like to hear some reviews first.

On longer cruises we use the bag for underwear, socks, & workout clothes but I would never put anything in it that I would be concerned about possible shrinkage or fading as I think they wash everything in hot water:D.

We've always gotten our bag back within a day or two and have been pleased with the service.

Sherri:)

Have you ever been on a cruise longer than 7 days? I have never used the onboard laundromats on cruises less than 7 days, but they sure come in handy on cruises of the cruises of 10,11, 12, 14 days. Or 8 days land combined with 12 days cruise, yes, I used the ship self serve laundromat.

Yes, I have. I have done 8 day, 9 day, and 14 day (B2B) cruises. I did not need to do laundry while on the cruise. Packed enough underwear for both of us, and enough cloths. It can be done with proper planning. If anything was soiled, I did hand wash it in the bathroom sink. Had enough cloths, just didn't want the clothing item to be stained.

We use both the wash and fold special and a laundry bag.

I'm not sure what you mean by the laundry scrunch bag but I have owned a scrubba wash bag for a number of years.

I usually use it in the shower (or tub if I have one), bring my own detergent, agitate it for the recommended time and then leave it for about 15 minutes to soak the washing. It seems to be very effective in cleaning clothes (and is gentle on the clothes).

Of course the issue is then rinsing and drying - for that I've found the easiest thing is to let clothes drip dry in the shower for 10 minutes, then rinse then drip dry again and twist them, then roll in towels and stand on them. This is a bit of work and to be honest I would prefer a self serve laundry but the bag seems to be more effective than hand washing.

I also always rewash everything once we get back to our own washing machine at home, even if we have used a commercial laundry.

Edited by lucymorgan

One can make a visit to a laundermat in a port an excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you really think this is practical? I see numerous problems with this idea.

I doubt most people would want to lug a bag of clothes off of and onto the ship. If they were willing to, how would they know where a laundromat is? If they know where it is, how would they get there? If they did manage to get there, the machines would almost certainly only take coins/currency local to that country, so the cruise passenger would have to somehow exchange their currency for local currency. Also, I doubt many people would be willing to give up such a significant chunk of their port time doing laundry. If they do it on the ship, they can leave the laundry room to do other things while their clothes are washing/drying.

I'm glad RCCL don't have them. When on Princess I've felt obliged to do laundry and spent so much time nipping along to see if machines were free, returning when my washing was done, waiting for a dryer then returning to iron them. Now I am happy to put all dirty washing in bags and into my suitcase out of sight - out of mind:D

I totally agree with you. On the one cruise I did take with coin operated machines, I also felt obligated to do laundry. It took up way too much time. I really don't have any trouble packing light and rewearing clothes, as long as they don't smell or have stains. On occasion I have hand washed in the sink and that worked out fine.

I'm trying to decide what to do for our very first B2B in April next year....21 days. We are driving to the port, so can take as much luggage as I want. I might use the free bag of laundry for underwear and such. I won't use it for anything I value, in case it gets ruined or lost. I did use the laundry one time and was not really happy the way some things were returned, very wrinkled and some things faded. I guess that is why they say just underwear, tee shirts and socks. I have plenty of time to think about it.

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm trying to decide what to do for our very first B2B in April next year....21 days. We are driving to the port, so can take as much luggage as I want. I might use the free bag of laundry for underwear and such. I won't use it for anything I value, in case it gets ruined or lost. I did use the laundry one time and was not really happy the way some things were returned, very wrinkled and some things faded. I guess that is why they say just underwear, tee shirts and socks. I have plenty of time to think about it.

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

After having three shirts ruined I also only use the free bag for underwear, socks and T-Shirts. That does help though. When you pay for shirts, where they bring them back on hangers that has been okay.

I will be on Princess this summer, in Europe for two weeks and I will use the self service laundry onboard for a few hours. I never use them on a seven day but on a long cruise I do.

True either you want to do wash while on vacation, the key word being vacation, the last thing I want to do when I'm on VACATION. Dry cleaning, pressing, and the wash and fold bag are so very nice.....:)

And some people never step foot in the Windjammer because they want to be waited on in the MDR when they are on vacation. So what is your point? Does it matter to you that some people don't care about being waited on and prefer to get up and get their own food?

I totally agree with you. On the one cruise I did take with coin operated machines, I also felt obligated to do laundry. It took up way too much time. I really don't have any trouble packing light and rewearing clothes, as long as they don't smell or have stains. On occasion I have hand washed in the sink and that worked out fine.

Huh??? You felt obligated to do laundry because you were on a ship with coin operated machines?:confused:

Huh??? You felt obligated to do laundry because you were on a ship with coin operated machines?:confused:

Don't you feel obligated to use the Flowrider and rockwall when you are on a ship that has them?:D

Do you really think this is practical? I see numerous problems with this idea.

I doubt most people would want to lug a bag of clothes off of and onto the ship. If they were willing to, how would they know where a laundromat is? If they know where it is, how would they get there? If they did manage to get there, the machines would almost certainly only take coins/currency local to that country, so the cruise passenger would have to somehow exchange their currency for local currency. Also, I doubt many people would be willing to give up such a significant chunk of their port time doing laundry. If they do it on the ship, they can leave the laundry room to do other things while their clothes are washing/drying.

Saw your earlier post, my answer was tongue in cheek for myself. Thinking my other half might want me to actually do a load of wash! The Laundromat idea seems utterly ridiculous to me to be honest. Again 9 day cruise B2B cruises, 54 day cruises, I'm on vacation, the laundry bags and pressing and dry cleaning I'm more than willing to add in to the total cost of the cruise. (y)

And some people never step foot in the Windjammer because they want to be waited on in the MDR when they are on vacation. So what is your point? Does it matter to you that some people don't care about being waited on and prefer to get up and get their own food?
Your post and analogy makes zero sense! I could care less where people eat....:rolleyes: