April 17 Cruise - Help! Reflection vs. Oasis Class vs. NC Escape/Getaway vs MSC

aimcat

Guys I know this is a broad Versus but I just need some help, when it comes to vacation planning I can be indecisive especially with what seems to be so many good choice! As you can see from my Sig - we have only sailed with Carnival before. Our last being 7 years ago and we are ready for something new. While we started to consider the new Carnival Vista I have a feeling it will be pretty much the Dream that we last sailed on.

We are considering Reflection - Allure or Harmony, NC Escape or Getaway or MSC Divina.

Rooms we would only be able to do a balcony type room on Reflection, Harmony, or NC. On Allure we could get a Mini suite but I don't see much benefit other than a tiny bit of extra space, on MSC Divina it will be a stretch but we could possibly do Yatch club suite for about the same money as we can on the other lines for a balcony. However I have heard many hit and misses with MSC Divina.

We are mid 30s couple, no kids, we like to sort of hang to ourselves, we like to find a private area to lay out, we LOVE good food - so food very important, also very important to my husband is SPACE - he hates to be crammed beside someone at dinner and we don't and will not share tables - we want a table for 2 for dinner, lunch, breakfast lol. Something new for us that we will do is specialty dining, very interested in that over MDR options.

Another factory - entertainment - we like shows, comedy and music.

Ports of calls are also important but not a must we have done St Maarten, St Thomas and Nassau (Nassau 3 times, also Calica years ago too. So maybe ports besides these which I think all of these will go elsewhere. The Getaway seems like it goes to 4 ports which seems nice, but I don't know?

I am here because I wasn't considering Celebrity because I thought it might be too pretentious. We don't want to have to bring our Sunday best for every meal, but ok with capris, cocktail dresses, slacks, and shirt, but my husband would much rather wear kakhi shorts and a polo.

Just looking for some good advice as we will have to book soon. Planning for April 17 - mid late april.

If by mini suite on Allure you mean a junior suite it does give you evening access to Coastal Kitchen which is worth having....We preferred to standard MDR.

We mainly now cruise Celebrity although we recently did revisit Oasis....

Can't comment on the other lines but with Royal Caribbean you get excellent entertainment and plenty to do compared to Celebrity where the food is generally better and the whole ambiance is quieter, more relaxed, less children....We never find it pretentious but we do find it just more refined...The dress code is similar on both.

Depends what you want out of your cruise...

I would also look beyond basic cost of each cruise to what is included. Drinks packages, internet, OBC can all make a difference.

Whatever you choose hope you have a great time!

We most recently cruised Reflection but the cruise prior to that was on Escape. They are very different ships with a different clientele. But Celebrity is not nearly as stuffy and formal as some here may lead you to believe. Escape is a party ship.

In terms of overall atmosphere Celebrity is a big step up from Escape which is on the extreme side of casual except for a restaurant or two.

Escape we felt was extremely crowded in the indoor public areas and the sun decks are just a mess of people. If you like a little more laid back scene and less people, I would definitely vote for Celebrity. We loved our Reflection cruise. I don't have any experience with MSC or Oasis ships. Oasis class just doesn't appeal to me and I have zero knowledge of MSC.

I can elaborate more this evening or answer specific questions if you have any....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is this for 2017? April 17 is a Monday.

We've done Yacht Club on MSC Divina and enjoyed it. That's what I'd pick.

Also, for MSC, they do status match .... even for Carnival. After the status match you would get 5% off your cruise price.

I've been on Getaway and Oasis though I normally sail Celebrity. I think it's really dependent on what you want. Celebrity's food is a little better, and the atmosphere as said is more relaxed and the ship feels less crowded, so I'd think it's a better bet for laying out in the sun and relaxing. However, if you want a large variety of restaurant options and a large variety of entertainment options, Getaway or Escape is what I'd recommend. Just realize that it will feel more crowded and busy, and that the pool area is extremely small and crowded for such a large number of passengers compared to Celebrity ships.

Oasis was similar to Getaway in terms of number of entertainment options and how crowded it felt, though I liked the food variety and quality better on Getaway than Oasis. I'd say Oasis has more family-friendly entertainment options, though since you won't have kids with you that's probably more of a point against it as you'd prefer the large number of adult-oriented entertainment choices on Getaway.

I'm sure everyone will have their own take on this, though. You'll just have to try all 3 and decide which you like best! :)

OP mentions they can be indecisive. For this reason I'd suggest narrowing down the choice to two ships to avoid a complete overload of information.

I've sailed once (Reflection) - so I'm clearly no expert. But if OP husband prefers khaki shorts and polo shirt as dinner attire - Reflection (or Celebrity in general) is likely not the ship for him. There are plenty of vacations I go on where my formal footwear are flip flops so I get it! If attire is not an obstacle, on our cruise my wife and I never shared a table with Select Dining and enjoyed the food in the MDR and Specialty restaurants (especially Sushi on 5 and Lawn Grill).

The entertainment on board was passable but I wouldn't cruise Reflection specifically for their entertainment. This is simply my opinion as some think the entertainment is great while others didn't enjoy it at all.

Happy cruise hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you guys for the info! On Celebrity what is the appropriate attire for dinner? What entertainment is there?

I am a little scared of how crowed NC and Oasis ships sound - but the last Carnival we did was packed, but my husband was a little more tolerant then. Now he has become a little more anal and hates crowds!

Is this for 2017? April 17 is a Monday.

We've done Yacht Club on MSC Divina and enjoyed it. That's what I'd pick.

Also, for MSC, they do status match .... even for Carnival. After the status match you would get 5% off your cruise price.

Let me expand a bit on Divina in the Yacht Club. Those bad reviews for MSC will not be found for the YC. If your dh wants/needs space, he'll find it there. You have your own restaurant, you will sit by yourself and have plenty of room. The One Pool is gloriously uncrowded. On St. Maartin day, we stayed on board and we were the only ones at the pool. Your own lounge, also never crowded. Drinks are included with the YC, this also includes your mini-bar which is stocked twice daily.

I didn't hate the food, but it's not as good as Celebrity. Most of the fault was with the temperature, but in the YC they will do everything to please you.

Entertainment is top notch and very professional, but because their clientele is rather international, there are no comedians.

We are 40, started cruising Celebrity in our 30s. ...we like to drink and love good food along with a nice, clean relaxing atmosphere. The crowd is wonderful....

Just enough "fun" without being obnoxious. Love the music aboard the ship too.

Only have had veranda cabins and love them. The service on Celebrity is outstanding. Highly recommended Celebrity!

Sailing again with them in April!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

^ Thank you for that info. YC sounds awesome. MSC ports just seem MEH. Some MSC reviews for Divina are brutal. :/

Yes, they can be brutal. Funny, too. I had hip replacement surgery a few years ago and spent my recovery time reading and laughing at the MSC reviews. However, just let me add, this is NOT for the Yacht Club. It took me years to finally decide to book them. And I will definitely book them again, on their new ship, but only in the Yacht Club.

But how truly different is MSC? Some people act like its completely alien compared to American cruise lines. They say phrases like - "remember this is all European" or "Americans are the minority" - I am all about different things. I am not scared of different things. However my husband can be a little different. LOL.

You are talking about booking a cruise for this April, next month? You are going to have very limited inventory if that is your plan. Of course, you might get a lower price for what is available, but you also may see very high prices so close to sail date. But good luck!

I guess it depends what week you hit. I think it was mostly Americans in the YC our week. I only recall one French family our week and I only remember them because I think they were the only ones with kids in the YC. Everyone in the YC spoke very good English, so I'm trying to think what was so different.

Now I don't want anyone to think I'm bashing Celebrity. I'm not. I have a cruise upcoming with them this coming April. However, if your husband likes some elbow room in the main restaurant (not specialties), be advised that the tables for two are very close together. Unless you luck out with a window table, you'll have someone close by.

Mafig - can you reserve the specialty restaurants ahead online for MSC?

And YES, April 2017, next month! I know that's so close but we just found out this is when we can take a week away from reality! We might be able to push into May but shooting for Mid-Late April.

Although Reflection is not our fav S class ship, we would take that any day over an Oasis ship....better food, nicer places to hang out..less crowded, more upscale, non shopping mall ship. You might really like AQ class.. dine when you want , nice menu ( usually) , nice perks...Dress fits with what you described in your first post..Capris and nice top for women, , khakis and golf or caribbean shirt ok for men. Chic nights a bit more dressy but not tux/gowns ..

BUT if you like zip lines, skating shows floe rider, bar that rises between decks, central park area, etc...then Royal might be more for you,....it is a bit more lively but we found Oasis very crowded..great for families with kids.

Never been on MSC, Carnival or Norwegian...only Celeb, Royal and Cunard (once)

Edited by hcat

If food matters and your husband likes space, skip the Oasis class ships. While we are older than you we found the food, the service and the crowding on the Allure so bad that we opted to eat in specialty restaurants most nights and have not been back on an RCL ship since. The veranda cabins on S class ships are fairly roomy, 192 SF plus the balcony so you are not cramped. We enjoy the food on Celebrity both in Blu and the MDR. Good enough that we rarely bother with specialty restaurants. If ports matter consider flying to San Juan and picking up the Summit for a southern Caribbean cruise. 5 ports, 7 nights, lots to see and do but if you want to do that be sure to book in Concierge Class or Aqua since those cabins are bigger on the M class ships.

I was just looking at Reflection. What would be your fav? Maybe I could look at some others to compare. Guess I just looked at Reflection because it was newest.

I can't speak for that guy but Reflection does carry more passengers than the other S class ships so some people do feel it is more congested. I would book Silhouette or Reflection over Equinox so we access to Lawn Club Grill. We really enjoyed eating there.

The Allure and Harmony have really great entertainment including s full broadway play. Great pools as well. Love those ships. The Escape is also wonderful ship new ship I thought the food court food was the better than RCCL but the MDR food not quite as good. The waterfront is a really cool area. Shows are a step down from the RcCL ships. Some people complain about the Escape pools but we like the rear area with the Grotto.

I have not been on the Reflection but my family has. Probably. Great ship as well but if I was still in my 30's I would choose the RCCL ships or the Escape. The Reflection will probably be an older crowd.

I can't speak for that guy but Reflection does carry more passengers than the other S class ships so some people do feel it is more congested. I would book Silhouette or Reflection over Equinox so we access to Lawn Club Grill. We really enjoyed eating there.

We prefer Equinox or Silhouette on S class... Ref not our fav S ship due to some design issues specific to us,.....upstairs club was truncated to put in suites..and it is on the level with the Solarium pool..not at the top level. Spa and Solarium not on same level.,.we spend alot of time at both places,,

..the rear bar is big and round and looks to the sea,. It truncates the aft outside area...less able to enjoy music...esp with many who hog bar seats and are quite loud.. Of course this bar has many fans .,.depends on what you prefer..

BLU on Ref a bit larger than other BLU venues, but many other places on board seem more crowded,,We did not enjoy Ref..also at the time it had a loud Miami DJ party vibe..but maybe has changed,,

You should probably book soon and try to get one or w 2 perks..Enjoy!

Edited by hcat

aimcat,

Here is my take. I like Celebrity because I feel their food product is very good. Their Specialty restaurants are much to my liking. It's generally a 40's to 80's demographic mostly late 50's. That's a big guess BTW. I like Aqua class just because of BLU , the other perks are nice too.

I liked the Allure of the Seas. The entertainment was very good and varied. There was a "Speak-Easy" night where most of us dressed up for it was fun. I didn't care much for the MDR food but found their specialty restaurants outstanding. The workout area was huge, clean, modern, and not crowded. A much younger demographic. More Family oriented, so there is a lot for kids to do. I would recommend that IF you want to take tours from the ship you decide and pay for it way before you get on the ship. Excursion lines can get very long.

Carnival, you already have your opinion of that line. We had 2 excellent cruises with Carnival. Younger demographic. Families, lots of stuff for kids to slides etc. Food was better than RCL IMHO. Their Specialty restaurants were pretty good too.

NCL, DW and I took a last minute cruise on the NCL Epic, booked it Monday sailed Saturday. We took a Guarantee Mini Suite got an upgrade to a SPA mini suite. That gives you freebie entry to their AMAZING SPA. It's directly AFT right over the Fantail. I give it an 11 out of a possible 10 ;) The MDR we had steak Diane. I am not sure how old that horse was but the steak was not tender. We ate at Specialty restaurants the rest of the cruise. We bought the Ultimate Drink Package just because it was cheaper. They also have the Haven which is a special area that's very expensive and exclusive, and I am told it was worth it. Kind of a ship within a ship. I liked NCL for me it was expensive but worth it.

I would put RCI and NCL at the same level for Big ships, followed by Carnival.

I think Celebrity, Princess, and HAL are similar, and are a bit of a step up as well.

I don't know where MSC lies but I understand they have something similar to the Haven w NCL I think it's called the Yacht Club. I honestly would love to try them out I just haven't yet.

I don't think you can really make a mistake. There are a lot of cruises! Good luck!!!