Equinox Ran Aground at Port Everglades?

Pipo

The owners of one of the mansions facing the canal uploaded these videos where Equinox looks struggling to pull back and rotate clockwise. It happened last Friday. Does anyone has more details?

Here's a perspective of exact location (no, it's not the house with the FlowRider):

17192272_10154574500630674_3915524619386720693_o.jpg?oh=5dc60cf8fce79fe0e82c317d59fa7f9f&oe=59304FBE

Ships have bow thrusters for maneuvering and stern azipods as the primary propulsion - although running aground is obviously not a good thing I imagine that it's just a matter of firing stern thrusters in reverse to "back up the truck" so to speak (I believe azipod would actually need to rotate and then continue to "pull" but not is pointed in the 180 degree opposite direction).

Friday morning a tanker truck overturned on the highway near the causeway. The resulting oil spill required the Equinox to dock at Terminal 25 instead of 18. Perhaps the captain was trying to avoid oil in the water. Onboard we didn't feel anything to indicate running aground.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would highly doubt that the Equinox actually hit the bottom although the video might lead you to believe that. Even a light touch would require an investigation and inspection of the ship.

I like how the guy thought waving his arms at the ship would somehow help prevent it from getting too close to his patio [emoji15]

It's just like pedestrians who put their hands out in a crosswalk to try and stop cars. Useless. Next time he better jump out of the way.

We were onboard and trust me, it did not run aground. We did not notice any unusual movements at all.

Also on board and on my balcony during docking. I didn't hear or see anything that would indicate a problem with the ship. We did need to divert from Terminal 18 to terminal 25 due to the tanker accident.

In the second video I could see how they could think it had 'run aground'. I'm sure that water gets shallow quickly as you approach the shoreline.

The bulb on the bow would have dug in first, not the entire hull of the ship. There for a second when the thrusters are going it does appear that the ship isn't making any progress moving forward or backward like it was stuck. It also looks overcast and windy would would add another element to the situation.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11470.shtml

As you can see on the chart the water does get very shallow very quickly. I don't think it's that far fetched to believe the bulb did come in contact with the bottom.

Edited by Jeremiah1212

Also on board and on my balcony during docking. I didn't hear or see anything that would indicate a problem with the ship. We did need to divert from Terminal 18 to terminal 25 due to the tanker accident.

I, too, watched our entire entrance and docking from my verandah last Friday and we didn't come close. However, from the video, it is obvious that this happened on departure, not arrival.

Celebrity replied to the video postings below.

Good point about the local Pilots guiding the ship at this time.

Glad nothing happened!

;)

Celebrity Cruises

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have further looked into this matter. As Equinox departed on Friday, March 3, she was in her assigned channel at all times under the guidance of specialized local port pilots. The ship operated safely and did not put guests or crew at risk. We can also confirm the ship did not touch bottom.

Edited by NEW 2 CRUISIN

Glad nothing happened!

;)

Celebrity Cruises

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have further looked into this matter. As Equinox departed on Friday, March 3, she was in her assigned channel at all times under the guidance of specialized local port pilots. The ship operated safely and did not put guests or crew at risk. We can also confirm the ship did not touch bottom.

You can clearly see the Pilot boat in the video. By the way, this was a wonderful cruise!

Glad nothing happened!

;)

Celebrity Cruises

Celebrity's response is a great piece of PR boiler plating that is probably "legally" accurate. She may have been within the limits of the channel, but she was as close to crossing that line that you could be without crossing it. In the first video the ship really has a little too much way on for the thrusters to be as effective as they could be. The more forward speed present the lateral effect of the thruster drops off dramatically. Above 3 or 4 knots they do not provide much help. Of course there is no way of knowing what happened beforehand to get them into that situation... wind, avoiding the oil spill, other vessel traffic.

Good to see Jim Walker of cruise law news has the incident on his web site already;)!!

Good morning

I live in Ft. Lauderdale and where this gentleman lives is very close to the channel. It is on the point. It is known as the Point of America. Our media down here was very clear.on TV. You could see the sand and mud churning in the water by his house. My thought although I know nothing about how a ship operates is this. Since last Friday or Saturday we have had some major winds down here. We have even had some gusts up to gale force. Today they are finally settling down. These winds may have had something to do with this. I agree Celebrity did a great PR story but I believe it did touch bottom as seen on all our TV stations.Just saying please don;t get upset............lol

Kathy

Celebrity's response is a great piece of PR boiler plating that is probably "legally" accurate. She may have been within the limits of the channel, but she was as close to crossing that line that you could be without crossing it. In the first video the ship really has a little too much way on for the thrusters to be as effective as they could be. The more forward speed present the lateral effect of the thruster drops off dramatically. Above 3 or 4 knots they do not provide much help. Of course there is no way of knowing what happened beforehand to get them into that situation... wind, avoiding the oil spill, other vessel traffic.

Good to see Jim Walker of cruise law news has the incident on his web site already;)!!

The news is going around social media because the homeowners put it there, not because some news organization thought it was a story and then some lawyer picked up on it.