most cruises you've gone on in a year

luckyinpa

Have had two twelve months spurts since beginning "early semi-retirement" ;)

Four cruises from March 2011 thru February 2012 (47 nights total);

Then five from December 2012 thru October 2013 (53 nights plus a six night layover in London between #2 and #3).

Finances aside, don't think I can summon the energy again any year soon--but will forever have ultimate respect for those with the motivation and fortitude to spend that many--or even a heck of a lot more--days at sea as a habit.

If I co unt each set of back to back cruises as each to be 2 cruises, then the most rfuises we took in any year likely would be about 11 That would include two sets of b-to-b in 12 month period. . I amnow so grateful we did all the travel we did when we did, as my mcfh loved DH didn't live to retire. DOn't wait until you retire, if you have any choice.

further down the road when i'm rich and retired, ill have much more time to cruise. but for now i cannot do it that often.

so i was wondering what the most cruises you've been on in a year was?

The better question might be what was one's highest number of cruise days in a year. As far as cruise "experience" goes, 4 or 5 three week cruises would certainly trump a half dozen 5-7 (or even 10) day cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did 2 in 2016.... But in a rolling year, 3.

I've done 1 so far this year, with 2 more booked/paid in full. So that would end 2017 with 3. And I already have a 2018 paid in full for February again giving me 3 within a rolling year.

and for reference, I'm not retired and I still enjoy land based trips and road trips as well with one RT flight booked for this year and two different 9 day road trips. I get five weeks of vacation and my job is extremely flexible so I can pretty much do what I want, whenever.

The better question might be what was one's highest number of cruise days in a year. As far as cruise "experience" goes, 4 or 5 three week cruises would certainly trump a half dozen 5-7 (or even 10) day cruises.

we all measure things differently. :eek:

If you want an answer to your questtion,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ask it . :)

I get your point but don't we each get to ask whichever question we wish?

I think we did 2 one year and that was too much. There is so much to see and do in this wonderful world that isn't accessible by water or conveniently accessible by cruise ship -- just can't do it. Exploring unique locations for more than a few hours, enjoying an evening in a fun city and not being controlled by the ships scheduled time in port make independent land tours part of our travel each year.

African safaris, exploring Viet Nam north to south, hiking through the Rocky Mountains, skiing around the world, spending time with the people that live on the Amazon in Peru and Ecuador -- just a few of the amazing places we have had the privilege of experiencing -- all without the constraints of the ship's port schedule. Almost made it to the South Pole on an expedition ship but the ice stopped us -- not really a cruise but it was on a small ship (less than 100 passengers).

Cruises are one of many ways to see the world but more than one cruise a year (or every other year) is enough for us.

We think the OP is asking the wrong question :). Rather than focusing on number of cruises...one should look at the number of days cruised in a year. We have a friend that took only 2 cruises last year, but they totaled nearly 200 days! Last year we took only 3 cruises, but they totaled 103 days. One thing that happens for many cruisers as they age, retire, and have more time...is a move away from short cruises to longer voyages. When you step on a cruise ship, knowing you have a 60, 90 or even 100 day cruise....it is an entirely different feeling (and experience) from a 7 day cruise. When we were working, most of our cruises had to be 14 days or shorter. But once we retired and had no more time restraints, we discovered a whole new world of cruising.

Some folks may not know that there are some folks that practically live on cruise ships. In fact, there is a ship "The World" where many of the passengers actually do live on the ship (this vessel has real apartments) as they continuously cruise around the world. There are some others who cruise on a single ship for more then 10 months a year. What a life!

Hank

Four.

Twelve day eastern Med, 12 day Adriatic, 14 day TA, and. 10 day Xmas.

Part of a six month trip. Three were booked inside the final payment window.

Euro was low, our dollar was high, economy was poor, many North Americans were avoiding European travel so the timing was perfect....very attractive fares.

Edited by iancal

We average two cruises per year - in addition to three or four land trips. Given the right itineraries, can see doing a total of five or six cruises and no land trips; but at present we prefer the variety.

For now, we're at a usual two per year cruise mark, which is extended with land stays pre and post cruise (length depending on location). In 2017, we have two cruises scheduled (so far) that total just under 50 cruise ship days with about 15 cruise-associated extra days of land travels.

Getting the most out of that international airfare (and or points) is a key consideration in planning cruises of at least 3 weeks duration as is only having to prep for the cruise 2-3 times per year (if there's a harmonic convergence of circumstances, e.g., itinerary, fare(s) we'll add the third trip) and having enough time to enjoy the cultural immersion of gentle-person's "life at sea."

Like other folks here, we do other regular annual travel as well. Home-based on SF Bay, we are fortunate to be able to spend a lot of extra long weekends from the North Coast wine country to Tahoe to SoCal (for the annual grandkid pilgrimage). Every few years, we might add a hometown Brooklyn visit especially if we can piggyback it (our 2016 Panama Canal itinerary was a perfect example: SF-NY).