I'm not a Spa Kinda Guy

LakeWobegon

But my wife suggested in lieu of getting a haircut the week before our trip, I get it cut in the barber shop on the ship and then get one of the shave experiences they do in the spa. I may look into the latter and just get my hair cut in advance, but any guys out there or women who know guys that have had the shaves done? Any feedback or reviews would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've had a straight razor shave a couple of times, but only on land, and from a barber. A real barber. The fifty-something guy with the small shop on Main Street kind of barber.

While I was already there getting my hair cut.

I'm sure it would be just fine on the ship, but I suppose I don't see the point of it.

If it were up to me, bro... I'd cut the idea.

Okay, I have read a review where a guy did have a shave, and he said it was a really terrific service. I guess that the salon gal he had wasn't too bad to look at either. He did enjoy it and it was a fun way to start off the cruise (being pampered) .

Go for it, try it out and enjoy yourself!

The practicality of a straight razor cut is for naught over a double or triple blade disposable razor. With that said, being shaved is a much different experience than shaving yourself ... as Trip suggests ... there is a bit of trust involved. Strop, hot towel, lotion, aftershave, etc. are part of the experience. I would rather have a massage or try acupuncture, but try it if someone else is treating.

On our last cruise they were advertising a spa special with 3 mini treatments for $79... my bf and I did it with me getting a facial as one of them and he asked them to sub a shave for his. They did and he enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the helpful replies. Will think about this some more. I'm definitely a fan of paying $14 for my normal short cut at Great Clips instead and just being done with it before the cruise but may think about some spa treatment. I've had shave treatments before on land and its usually more about the relaxing experience. So as long as my life isn't in danger, I may give it a whirl!

Thanks for the helpful replies. Will think about this some more. I'm definitely a fan of paying $14 for my normal short cut at Great Clips instead and just being done with it before the cruise but may think about some spa treatment. I've had shave treatments before on land and its usually more about the relaxing experience. So as long as my life isn't in danger, I may give it a whirl!

So, my hubby IS a spa type guy....but massages only. He did the shave on our last cruise because they had the 10/20/30% special and we were getting a couple's massage for the 30% one. His comment was that it was "okay". So, this cruise, I asked him if he wanted the shave again and he said he'd pass. (And he does the normal short cut at Great Clips, too.) You may find it the best thing since sliced bread and it is probably worth a "whirl" just to see....I would recommend that you use it as your first part of the 10/20/30% package...and do a couple's massage with your spouse for part 3! (Of course, you both have to get the package, but women seem to have lots more options!)

So, my hubby IS a spa type guy....but massages only. He did the shave on our last cruise because they had the 10/20/30% special and we were getting a couple's massage for the 30% one. His comment was that it was "okay". So, this cruise, I asked him if he wanted the shave again and he said he'd pass. (And he does the normal short cut at Great Clips, too.) You may find it the best thing since sliced bread and it is probably worth a "whirl" just to see....I would recommend that you use it as your first part of the 10/20/30% package...and do a couple's massage with your spouse for part 3! (Of course, you both have to get the package, but women seem to have lots more options!)

Thanks! Will consider this route.

The practicality of a straight razor cut is for naught over a double or triple blade disposable razor. With that said, being shaved is a much different experience than shaving yourself ... as Trip suggests ... there is a bit of trust involved. Strop, hot towel, lotion, aftershave, etc. are part of the experience. I would rather have a massage or try acupuncture, but try it if someone else is treating.

This is what I am thinking too. Something else. I will tell you though, that after going to a safety razor with real shaving cream and brush I could never go back to using 2-4 blade disposable razors. You get a much closer shave and much less razor burn and irritation. This is generally the case that is. The only down side is you can't take a safety razor blade through security so if I carry on for work trips, I just mail the blade(s) to my destination with a little planning.

$25 for a men's haircut is really cheap.

I'd die if I had to pay $25 plus tip for a haircut. My hometown barber charges $12. I also don't really like changing barbers but if you are already going to great cuts not sure if you stick with the same one every time or not. I personally like the barber shop experience and I doubt that will translate to a spa on a ship. Any time I have gone to a salon for a haircut they did a horrible job as they aren't that used to cutting men's hair.

As for the shave, I have a beard so I would not get it. If I didn't I might consider it tho. Up to you. I have had my barber give a shave before and it was kinda nice, but a little nerve racking as it is a straight razor that someone else is controlling. Needs a lot of trust like others have said. Personally I am also not much of a spa guy. I would send the wife and tell her I'll be getting the whiskey treatment at one of the bars.

I am not certain if all the ships do this, but on day one, take the spa tour and ask to be a model for a demo. You might end up with a free one. I was a demo model for a scalp massage in the salon....free is for me...and it was soooo nice. I know the prices on the ship are over double back home, but back home we dont all have the luxury to take time out for ourselves. I say go for it and enjoy the experience--if it's in your overall budget, why not try it out?

We missed one of the tender ports on another sailing so the Salon did an impromptu hair 'show' and asked me to be a model for the demo....so lucky....free haircut and % off salon products....bonus!

Edited by MICHLEV1974
add info

$25 for a men's haircut is really cheap.

No its not, I pay $20 at the salon I go to. My son goes to local old barber in town who is $15.00. The Hair Cuttery is $18.00. I wouldn't call $25 really cheap considering it takes the woman about 8 minutes to wet my hair and cut it:')