$7.95 Room Service Charge

I also sail mostly with Carnival. I can enjoy reading at the pool, going to an art auction, playing bingo, doing a craft project. But my DH was getting sick of cruising (I can't allow that to happen b/c I love to cruise) because he is bored on the ship. So the compromise was RCI anthem. I figure there is enough going on to keep him happy and I can't wait to do some of the activities as well. I'm not sure about the flow rider as I will probably get thrown off and break something. Also not sure about rock climbing wall as my bout of shingles 2 years ago left me weak and I never fully recovered my strength. (Do they boo you if you attempt it but can't make it up)? But Ifly, northstar, bumper cars, roller skating, puzzle room etc seem like fun. And since we live in NY no airfare. The bad: When we booked in August there was still dynamic dining and free room service. We knew about dynamic dining being gone after I was confused about how to book restaurants before final payment. But since I sail Anthem on 4/2/17 (the first sailing with pay for RS) I'm not happy with the roll out. They should have introduced it and then went at least 90 days out so those of us that already paid still are getting what we paid for. It just seems they have no regard for paid in full passengers. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Have to see how we like RCI to see if we will keep the booking for Allure this summer or go back to Carnival. All these changes are not leaving a good impression. If we find it difficult to find a seat in the WJ for breakfast that will be an issue and I'm afraid that the WJ will be crazy busy as people will not want to spring for the 7.95. Will just have to wait and see. I'm not going to let it ruin my vacation.

If this post is still active when I return will post about my experiences with pay for RS and WJ.

Not that I agree with this new charge but I will say again Anthem has been charging for most room service since it began sailing. All new ships starting with Quantum have had a per item charge for any hot items. As a matter of fact your charge could have been higher if this had not been implemented for your sailing. Can't say if it is advertised anywhere but know it from sailing on those ships myself.

ETA, oops didn't page down enough, guess others beat me to it.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Speaking of which, how is that done?

Biker, who might make the post whore list in this thread.

Make it :confused: you won it. :cool: You can only see it from the main board list, not from your subscribed list. all you do is click on the number of posts over on the right side. Enlightening.

Yes, and I have posted the menus many times. (Others have also) :)

The pricing on Anthem is a la carte for many items. Delivery Fee between midnight and 5-ish a.m.

So on Anthem, you pay for individual items and then you pay the delivery fee for late night service. Lovely

So on Anthem, you pay for individual items and then you pay the delivery fee for late night service. Lovely

As was mentioned, if this new charge is implemented on Anthem, it could be CHEAPER after the change depending what is ordered.

So I emailed Micheal Bayley as suggested and received a call today from his office. Interesting since I didn't even leave my phone number or upcoming cruise information in the email. I guess they looked me up. I didn't answer since I assumed it was a telemarketer, but they left a message. I hope to connect with them on Monday. Any guesses on what they will say?

I learn something virtually every day on CC.

Biker, who didn't think he contributed as much to this thread as the post counts would indicate.:cool:

It does not matter, it's all about timing and you have that down:D

This thread is now officially the horse and doggy show

So I emailed Micheal Bayley as suggested and received a call today from his office. Interesting since I didn't even leave my phone number or upcoming cruise information in the email. I guess they looked me up. I didn't answer since I assumed it was a telemarketer, but they left a message. I hope to connect with them on Monday. Any guesses on what they will say?

I got the call back this afternoon. Below is the summary of the conversation which I have forwarded to a consumer organization.

I contacted their CEO's office by email. A representative did get back to me so I could "express my concerns." He began to read from a script that rationalized why they made the change (for the customers benefit!) but did not address how they rolled out the change. When I redirected the conversation back to the point at hand, explanations were non-existent or absurd. There was no defense given for why those who booked under one criteria should be considered. I specifically asked why the website was still misleading potential customers; there was a two-part response. Part one was that the timing of the roll out would vary from ship to ship and the website would be updated when that schedule was finalized. I reminded the representative that the press release said it would be in place fleet-wide on the announced date of March 17. I stressed to him that RCCL is accepting bookings based upon knowingly false information when they could easily post a notice of the new policy on the site. Answer number two was "I apologize." I don't think either he or I had a clue as to what his apology encompassed or to what it referred.

What was clear from the conversation is that the website will not currently corrected to include the actual policy and that the resolution for those who have booked and can't cancel is "tough luck."

Almost 600 posts, unbelievable. Possibly a new CC record for debating and inflating a trivial issue.......

You do mean what you consider to be a trivial issue, I assume?

Please tell us what topics are critical issues so all will know what should be discussed.

And, you are aware that you can choose not to read this inflation of the trivial?

Almost 600 posts, unbelievable. Possibly a new CC record for debating and inflating a trivial issue.......

What may be a trivial issue for you may be a huge issue for others. Some people primarily eat room service, whether it be due to mobility issues or convenience. If you ate room service three times a day for seven days that equates to 166.95. Not so trivial anymore.

100 rooms right now pay $0.

Revenue = $0

new charge

Let's say 99 rooms don't order. Less food waste. 1 room orders. $7.95

Revenue = $7.95

This charge isn't ever going to go away. you may see them add some salads or cold sandwiches with no extra charge.

Or

100 rooms purchase a cruise with RCCL = thousands in revenue minus cost of free room service

Versus

80 rooms purchase a cruise with RCCL. Another 20 are empty because passengers sailed with an alternate (likely Premium) line that does offer room service for free.

Personally I won't sail with any of the Contemporary lines (Carnival, NCL, RCCL) anymore as the cost cutting combined with multiple upcharges for simple things are just too much. MSC I might make an exception for ... at least they allow one to prepay by offering different levels of experience at different price points before I get on board.

Even the Premium lines (Celebrity, Princess, Holland America) are increasing monetization areas, but I (personally) feel the cost cutting isn't as bad as contemporary lines and the complimentary offerings in terms of choice and quality are still acceptable.

Deluxe lines like Azamara and Oceania are the closest to "the good ol' days" but very expensive.

I got the call back this afternoon. Below is the summary of the conversation which I have forwarded to a consumer organization.

I contacted their CEO's office by email. A representative did get back to me so I could "express my concerns." He began to read from a script that rationalized why they made the change (for the customers benefit!) but did not address how they rolled out the change. When I redirected the conversation back to the point at hand, explanations were non-existent or absurd. There was no defense given for why those who booked under one criteria should be considered. I specifically asked why the website was still misleading potential customers; there was a two-part response. Part one was that the timing of the roll out would vary from ship to ship and the website would be updated when that schedule was finalized. I reminded the representative that the press release said it would be in place fleet-wide on the announced date of March 17. I stressed to him that RCCL is accepting bookings based upon knowingly false information when they could easily post a notice of the new policy on the site. Answer number two was "I apologize." I don't think either he or I had a clue as to what his apology encompassed or to what it referred.

What was clear from the conversation is that the website will not currently corrected to include the actual policy and that the resolution for those who have booked and can't cancel is "tough luck."

I also got a call back left on my recorder. If that is all they have to say, I will not bother calling back.

My DS enjoys his cookies, cheesecake and milk at around 2AM. So I am going to bring some Saran Wrap and order enough for 2-3 days, maybe more, and keep in the refrigerator.

I also got a call back left on my recorder. If that is all they have to say, I will not bother calling back.

My DS enjoys his cookies, cheesecake and milk at around 2AM. So I am going to bring some Saran Wrap and order enough for 2-3 days, maybe more, and keep in the refrigerator.

I am not thrilled by this but plan to take a wait and see approach for our April 16 cruise. I think that it could be a savings over Johnny Rockets for our family of 4 atleast! But if the quality is poor I will be disappointed.

Now - about 2am snacks...for that which is not hot...Can't you just get that from the WJ or Dining Room to go and bring it to your room? We bring ziploc bags and Tupperware for that sometimes..and the dining room often sends us out with even the cover on the dish to get back to our room if we take a desert instead of eating it there. I don't think I would spend the $8 RS Fee to order these items so just passing it along as a suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I haven't seen anyone else mention it here, but Royal's website is often behind the times when they make changes, so I wouldn't go by that. I've heard from some very experienced cruising friends that Royal will indeed be going to a full-time room service charge, but I don't think its been implemented fleet-wide yet.

Personally, we'll usually order breakfast once or twice per cruise, more for the novelty of it, than the convenience. I find it almost as easy to run up to the Windjammer of Cafe in my jammies, and bring things back to the cabin.

For those posting about current sailings, the PROPOSED change will not take effect until March 27 at the earliest and only once the new menu is in place ship by ship.You could sail in May and still not have this charge apply during your sailing.

Biker, who does not think any of the complaints either in this thread or sent directly to RCI will make a diff with this issue.