$7.95 Room Service Charge

Todaÿ on the Jewel we have an early arrival in Santorini so we ordered breakfast between 6am and 6:30. It's now 6:55am and no breakfast.

I guess the service charge means nothing about service.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Go out in santorini and have bougatsa for breakfast. And a nice cappuccino. I wish i were their:)

Just wondered who gets the $7.95 service charge from each delivery? does it go in a general pot for all staff like the regular gratuities? or is it just the room service staff who get it?

I don't think the staff gets ANY of the service charge, as I think it only goes to Royal's bottom line! The staff will make LESS, as people stop tipping!

I don't think the staff gets ANY of the service charge, as I think it only goes to Royal's bottom line!
There is no reason to think that. The cruise line has made clear that the room service charge includes the gratuity.

That was also my understanding but how much of the charge and who gets it?

You would think the delivery staff gets it, but how much they get can be debated forever.

Biker, who would dare someone ask that of the hotel director at a Captain's Corner.

You would think the delivery staff gets it, but how much they get can be debated forever.

Biker, who would dare someone ask that of the hotel director at a Captain's Corner.

Dare ask ? Frankly I wouldn't dare believe their answer .

First you would have to find a tray before you can take it back to your room.

I pack a little carry tray in my luggage. It's not only good for bringing things back to my room, but also for carrying things from a buffet to a table so I can minimize trips to the buffet lines (and avoid spilling bowls of soup).

The cruise lines should learn from congressional town halls lately that people really don't like having their benefits taken away. I disliked the change to breakfast room service on Holland, and as a solo cruiser, I was looking forward to ordering dinner menu items to my room to avoid dining room stress, as I do on Holland (it also helps me pack light, since I can leave the formal wear at home).

The only positives I can see for the move is that it would cut down on early-morning food carts rumbling down hallways and knocks on neighbor doors that wake me up. And it would cut down on the annoyance of trays in the hallway, and less work for room stewards who have to clear out the trays from rooms, so they can devote themselves to the more important tasks of cleaning and making towel animals :).

The cruise lines should learn from congressional town halls lately that people really don't like having their benefits taken away. .

Right, because room service is an entitlement, like Social Security.:rolleyes:

Well, without agreeing with the previous poster, that's more true than you perhaps meant: I think doing away with room service entirely would be like doing away with Social Security entirely - that would come with a very high "political" cost. At the same time, the government very practicably started taxing Social Security benefits, and even legitimately do so in a manner that assesses tax on some and not on others, just like cruise lines can introduce a new "tax" on room service.

i was just at a hotel at the beach. they gave me a card at checkin for an 8 dollar bfast . on the bottom of the card it said dine in only, no room service

so 8 bucks to get room service on a floating restaurant seems like a bargain in comparison. 170 for a room and no free room service :)

so 8 bucks to get room service on a floating restaurant seems like a bargain in comparison. 170 for a room and no free room service :)

Anchoring, that's the issue. It does not matter what happens in the rest of the world - folks only look at what they had before (free room service) and compare against that.

Social Security is NOT an entitlement. We pay for it our whole working lives just like an insurance policy.

Welfare is an entitlement as is food stamps and SSI, not social security.

Social Security is NOT an entitlement. We pay for it our whole working lives just like an insurance policy.
Actually, that makes it an entitlement, literally - something that you are entitled to. When the term "entitlement" is used in rabid political rhetoric, it is used in the context of the matter being a figurative entitlement. This is one of the problems with political rhetoric: It often abuses language to distract or deceive.

The point is that room service had been an included benefit forever. Adding an additional charge for it amounts to receiving less for the same price of the cruise. We have continued to see cutbacks over the years. If we do not voice our objection they will and are looking for the next item they can charge more for. Let RCI know that you are concerned about adding charges for what had been included forever.

The point is that room service had been an included benefit forever. Adding an additional charge for it amounts to receiving less for the same price of the cruise. We have continued to see cutbacks over the years. If we do not voice our objection they will and are looking for the next item they can charge more for. Let RCI know that you are concerned about adding charges for what had been included forever.

Agree that a new charge for something previously not charged is unfortunate.

That said...one could make a case that if this new $7.95 fee makes or breaks things...perhaps the budget is too tight to book the cruise in the first place. Prices change over time in lots of ways...and seeing how may posts and reads are in this thread has turned this into the "Never-ending Story" web version.

This is one area where I do not mind a new charge. One of my pet peeves is waste. I shudder when I see people walk away from a buffet, leaving a mountain of uneaten food on their plate.

I strongly suspect that free room service leads to a ton of wasted food. On Princess, you can get a whole pizza delivered to your cabin, but there's a fee of $3. When we asked why, we were told that people used to order a whole pizza, eat one or two slices and leave the rest for the steward to throw away.

I applaud measures that help people waste less.

(Not accusing anyone here of being wasteful.)

This may have already been mentioned in the previous 88 pages, but I'm on Grandeur. The hanger for the continental breakfast (room service) states that it carries a 7.95 charge, and the compass today says that all room service orders have the same. A little disappointed as I expected breakfast to be exempt, but at least we are close to the WJ.

This may have already been mentioned in the previous 88 pages, but I'm on Grandeur. The hanger for the continental breakfast (room service) states that it carries a 7.95 charge, and the compass today says that all room service orders have the same. A little disappointed as I expected breakfast to be exempt, but at least we are close to the WJ.

The continental breakfast should still be free. I'd bring this up with Guest Services if it's showing a charge for continental.

The continental breakfast should still be free. I'd bring this up with Guest Services if it's showing a charge for continental.

Apologies I misread-- half the menu (continental) is free. The "American" breakfast on the other half incurs a charge.

Basically bread, cereal, fruit is complimentary.