$7.95 Room Service Charge

We just found out about the $7.95 room service charges last night.

Very upset that the services advertised by RCI and we purchased, where changed by RCI after final payment.

Time to make some phone calls.

:mad::mad::mad:

This is on rcl.com under "the experience" then click dining, then click room service

Royal Caribbean is introducing a new room service menu that features several upgraded selections including a Wagyu Beef Hamburger, Philly Cheesesteak and Grilled Salmon with Cucumber Mint Yogurt and Roasted Asparagus. The upgraded menus will start rolling out on March 27th and be available across the fleet by end of May 2017.

As part of the rollout of the new room service, a delivery charge of $7.95 per stateroom order will now apply. Continental breakfast remains complimentary and the delivery charge excludes Grand Suites and above.

I still don't quite get why it makes any difference if it is an "enhanced" menu or not. A delivery charge is not a food charge. Why does it make any difference what is on the menu?

Value? If you are being asked to pay for room service you expect the food to be good. When it was free they could get away with it being nasty because they were not charging extra for it. I think people ordered it mostly for the novelty, and convenience. I read of people saying they ordered a pre-dinner meal, not sure what a pre-dinner meal is, or why a person would want it. It was free, so no thought went into ordering it. Ordering cookies and milk from room service is something you won't do in most cases because hotels charge crazy service fees for room service, but on the cruise it was FREE,so order away. My first cruise is coming up soon, so I guess I won't miss what I never had.

I think people ordered it mostly for the novelty, and convenience. ... It was free, so no thought went into ordering it.
If true, that's good reason, itself, to add a charge.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

When RC institutes a charge for those ordering a second entree or dessert in the MDR or perhaps taking more then one towel at the pool , I wonder what the reaction will be . Many here will no doubt applaud them after all , it was free, so no thought went into ordering it.

Wow !

I far preferred the envelope days !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

NO WAY!! Who wants to carry all that cash around and divide it up and hand it out! I was very happy when they went to prepaid gratuities. I usually leave some extra cash for my room steward anyways, but why would I want to go back to handing out cash! What a PITA!!!

When RC institutes a charge for those ordering a second entree or dessert in the MDR or perhaps taking more then one towel at the pool , I wonder what the reaction will be . Many here will no doubt applaud them after all , it was free, so no thought went into ordering it.

Wow !

You make this almost Sound like it would be a bad idea. :confused:

The cover Charge for the specialty Restaurants usually only includes one entree, so I don´t think there´s anything wrong with expanding this to the MDR.

You make this almost Sound like it would be a bad idea. :confused:

The cover Charge for the specialty Restaurants usually only includes one entree, so I don´t think there´s anything wrong with expanding this to the MDR.

This backs us into the question of what is the definition of fairness. Strip away the overly-emotionalized pretenses of unjust expectation, and fairness, specifically, would best be served by metering everything - i.e., charging a la carte for everything; nothing included that a reasonable person may choose to do without. Inclusions explicitly force everyone to subsidize the overuse, over-indulgence, and casual advantage-taking of what's offered. Don't get me wrong: I like a little overuse, a little over-indulgence, and a little casual advantage-taking - but the fact that people capitalize on such things in different amounts means that the system is unfair.

So just think about it: The cruise line is in the business of satisfying customers: Only an idiot would be satisfied by the fact that they're subsidizing other passengers, so given that the system is unfair, what can the cruise line do to satisfy those who are subsidizing the excess of others? The cruise line is effectively forced to engage in arguably ridiculous exercises to make every customer feel like they're getting as least as good of a deal as others, even though it would be nonsensical to claim that everyone is getting as good as a deal as everyone else.

Every time you see something that was included (you are mistaken, richstowe: Nothing was ever "free") turned into something with a fee, you're seeing the cruise line recognizing that they can no longer dupe enough weak-minded customers into believing that their subsidizing other passengers is a good deal, i.e., the amount of money from fares to cover operating costs associated with that specific "inclusion" was no longer justifiable by the satisfaction passengers derived from it, and so it was better to unbundle those costs, charge separately for what used to be included, and use that money from fares to cover other operating costs or to keep fare increases down year-to-year. The latter can plainly be seen just comparing the average fare paid in 2017 to the average fare paid in 1997.

Adding charges left and right is tacit admission that the cruise line could no longer quietly dupe people so it has to overtly dupe people??

The cruise line is placed into the defensive on proving it is providing equitable value to guests, without knowing what the guest preference and values are? I guess that's why we have smoke and mirror sales and 30+ price changes per category for any given sailing; the cruise line just wants to satisfy everyone...

Interesting point of view; not one I necessarily agree with. It is simply cost reductions and revenue increases to jack share prices; which I *DO* understand, though I do not always agree with the methods.

When they start charging for additional plates in the MDR, or additional towels, or pull a Carnival move by going to once a day room cleanings, etc., there is no reason to pay a premium for RCI's product at that point. The ports are the ports and ships are largely similar across many lines in terms of features and entertainment; cruise activities follow a pretty basic formula. If you can't differentiate on service and a luxury (or faux-luxury) experience, how can you command a premium?

Adding charges left and right is tacit admission that the cruise line could no longer quietly dupe people so it has to overtly dupe people??

The term "overly dupe" makes no sense, and so neither would anything based on it.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

The term "overly dupe" makes no sense, and so neither would anything based on it.

Words matter and the word was "overtly", not "overly". Changes the entire context. Was your reply by voice and it missed the t, or did you mis-read? Before we can discuss this point we need to have agreement in understanding. "Overtly" was a response to what you had put, and as such makes perfect sense. If you made a mistake, of course it would not make sense.

This is on rcl.com under "the experience" then click dining, then click room service

Royal Caribbean is introducing a new room service menu that features several upgraded selections including a Wagyu Beef Hamburger, Philly Cheesesteak and Grilled Salmon with Cucumber Mint Yogurt and Roasted Asparagus. The upgraded menus will start rolling out on March 27th and be available across the fleet by end of May 2017.

As part of the rollout of the new room service, a delivery charge of $7.95 per stateroom order will now apply. Continental breakfast remains complimentary and the delivery charge excludes Grand Suites and above.

It sounds fair to me. You still can get your coffee in the morning no charge,(y) and Grand suites are no charge as it should be.

I still don't quite get why it makes any difference if it is an "enhanced" menu or not. A delivery charge is not a food charge. Why does it make any difference what is on the menu?

I guess because I don't mind paying for food that is tasty. Rarely did room service back in the day. Always disappointed. I don't think even Bella would have liked it. [emoji6]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I guess because I don't mind paying for food that is tasty. Rarely did room service back in the day. Always disappointed. I don't think even Bella would have liked it. [emoji6]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Well there goes the one postulated theory that the purpose of the delivery charge is to decrease demand. Maybe this will backfire and there will be many more people just like you who will now start using the service since the food is so good.

Words matter and the word was "overtly", not "overly". Changes the entire context. Was your reply by voice and it missed the t, or did you mis-read?
It was indeed a typo due to use of voice recognition.

The term "overtly dupe" makes no sense, and so neither would anything based on it.

I guess because I don't mind paying for food that is tasty.
I think Ocean Boy's point is that the charge is clearly for the service, not for the food, since you don't pay more if you order more food. You are therefore effectively paying for the food in your cruise fare. It is included. This fee is strictly a fee for the service itself, which is no longer something that is included in the cruise fare.

Its sad, that all Royal is doing is to convince me to try more upscale/inclusive lines such as Windstar, Cunard, Holland America.I remember Princess & Disney as being much more inclusive, so really I need to start looking elsewhere.

You know with MSC, you can pay for the Fantasia Cabin Level and both room service & 12 drink coupons are included. Did I mention, that MSC is much less (even with the upgraded fare) that Royal and the Seaside is coming to Miami late this year!