Selfie Stick

vamommyof3

:pIt has absolutely nothing to do with the selfie stick. It has everything to do with who is handling the selfie stick. People, if you have a selfie stick, use it responsibly and enjoy!

Black13

4-1-17

Yep.

Selfie Stick is a Fad...

I don't think it's a fad, I think that it's a good functional substitute for a tripod that is lighter and more compact to carry, and can be less intrusive. The quality of the camera on smart phones these days is sufficient for most people's purposes and that's why the vast majority of all photos taken in the last few years has been on smart phones rather than "traditional" (whether film or digital) cameras. That's why I think a selfie stick makes sense.

The next thing may be worse if it becomes popular...imagine personal drones with a camera specifically designed for the purpose of taking a picture or video of you. That is, if it ever takes off (pun intended) ;)

There is a middle ground...not everybody who uses a selfie stick thinks they need to be in every photo. For example, just the occasional group or family photo. It doesn't have to be used incessantly or to the exclusion of taking other types of pictures. People should be able to use a selfie stick responsibly without being or feeling judged.

OP, feel free to bring the selfie stick with you.

Absolutely. Totally agree.

And i don't think selfies are a fad. People probably said that years ago about self timers on cameras. They will stay until something better comes along.

I don't think it's a fad, I think that it's a good functional substitute for a tripod that is lighter and more compact to carry, and can be less intrusive. The quality of the camera on smart phones these days is sufficient for most people's purposes and that's why the vast majority of all photos taken in the last few years has been on smart phones rather than "traditional" (whether film or digital) cameras. That's why I think a selfie stick makes sense.

The next thing may be worse if it becomes popular...imagine personal drones with a camera specifically designed for the purpose of taking a picture or video of you. That is, if it ever takes off (pun intended) ;)

What they are getting at major tourist sites are pictures of themselves and the background is not the site, it is other tourists holding up sticks blocking the site......

You don't need a selfie stick to take selfies. I take a few but I will never use a selfie stick. The sticks are obnoxious.

The smartphone cameras are very good. I take a lot of photos with them. But not many of myself. I want to have a memory of the site. I can look in the mirror and see myself.

What they are getting at major tourist sites are pictures of themselves and the background is not the site, it is other tourists holding up sticks blocking the site......

You don't need a selfie stick to take selfies. I take a few but I will never use a selfie stick. The sticks are obnoxious.

The smartphone cameras are very good. I take a lot of photos with them. But not many of myself. I want to have a memory of the site. I can look in the mirror and see myself.

I would argue those people are being inconsiderate in their usage of the selfie stick, then. And yes, some people don't need a selfie stick to take selfies. Others do need one, or at least it makes it easier.

I don't understand all the judgment, as though it's some objective and universal truth that selfie sticks are a terrible invention and nobody should use them as some people in this thread seem to imply. :confused: Don't blame the tool.

People can take a photo of the place they are visiting and quite separately take a group or family photo without necessarily getting in someone's way. If a particular tourist site is too busy and they've banned selfie sticks, then people should respect that. In that case, there are still plenty of situations where a selfie stick can be used for a group shot without impacting others.

Selfie Stick is a Fad. As with others, this too shall pass...

How long do we have to wait? Two years ago in Hong Kong my 40 something son politely told a young teenager sitting in front of him what he would do with the selfie stick if it was waved in his face again.

Grand dad turned up and they moved to the back of the Peak train. They are endemic through most of Asia, we started to feel concerned in Singapore, we seemed to be the only ones without one. Lol

My 34 year old has a selfie stick she uses all the time traveling. She has been considerate in using hers. I do not have one, but see where it would come in handy. I am usually the one taking photos when I travel, as a result, I am not in a lot of the photos. My thought is the ones who stick the selfie stick rudely in front of other people are the same people that would be inconsiderate and push to the front to get a photo without the selfie stick.

I'm still trying to figure out why people think they need to be in every photo, sometimes the best Image is the photograph of the object and not someone's large face in front of it. JMOHO.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Exactly my opinion!!!

ok so maybe I should leave the selfie stick at home after reading these wonderful comments.........

Even better if you´d decide to throw it away. If you honestly came to the quoted conclusion (whitch I somehow doubt) this thread would have served some great purpose and fantastic Outcome.:)

• 1 year later...

I take my selfie stick on every cruise but don't use it often. My wife uses an expensive SLR camera. Although people offer to take a picture of us, she doesn't want anyone to handle her camera.

Yes, it is an inconvenience when she wants to take a picture of something and has a lot of people taking selfies, but if I didn't have my selfie stick with me, we wouldn't have any pictures of the two of us together when we go ashore.

Take your selfie stick and enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

I take my selfie stick on every cruise but don't use it often. My wife uses an expensive SLR camera. Although people offer to take a picture of us, she doesn't want anyone to handle her camera.

Yes, it is an inconvenience when she wants to take a picture of something and has a lot of people taking selfies, but if I didn't have my selfie stick with me, we wouldn't have any pictures of the two of us together when we go ashore.

Take your selfie stick and enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

This is an old thread.... Realize there are now lot of places, Amusement Parks and even some Countries that now Ban these Selfie Sticks...

On my last trip I wish I had brought a pair of garden shears to cut all the selfie sticks.

All those people take photos of themselves constantly is so idiodic ......

Or one could put on his big boy pants, and not look at them if it bothers him. Also, a bit humorous that while calling others an idiot, you could not even spell the word correctly.

OP.. take the selfie stick. Enjoy.. try not to interfere with other folks enjoyment.

On my last cruise, one young lady in a group of 20-somethings asked me to take a group photo with her phone. I framed the shot, snapped a couple off and gave the phone back to her. She offered to take a couple photos of DH and I with my camera which I gladly accepted.

I can't answer the selfie stick question because I've never owned one. I'm so 1992! I guess my point is to not be afraid to ask fellow passengers to take some pictures of you and your family with your phone. Most people are very willing to help.

People are typically thrilled to have someone offer to take their picture. I do it all the time and am happy when someone offers to return the favor.

I don't own a selfie stick but can see the pros and cons.

Haha. I just spit water all over myself.

I only came into this thread to see how many messages before a smart@ssed reply. I would have missed that post because that person is the King of Smart@ss and I have him blocked. Can only see his remarks when someone quotes him. It was a little bit funny.

I only came into this thread to see how many messages before a smart@ssed reply. I would have missed that post because that person is the King of Smart@ss and I have him blocked. Can only see his remarks when someone quotes him. It was a little bit funny.

Hey BillOh...I am following your Jewel review. I'm hoping you comment on your stateroom and balcony. Our group has the five cabins along the back of the ship booked for next year. My cousin's daughter & new husband will be in the cabin you were in! Don't mean to derail this thread, but it's over a year old anyway...we are some of the few that are looking at it!:o

LOL well, sadly its the only way I can get in the photo

I don't use an app but I set my camera to take a picture when I say "cheese" or "smile". When you say one of those words it starts the 2 second timer. It's in the camera settings...somewhere. I have a Samsung Note 5. Have fun on your trip!!

A selfie stick is merely an extension of the person holding it. They are ridiculous

When on cruises my friends and I bet on which of the three things we will see first

1. Man in a speedo

2. Person wearing fanny back

3. Selfie stick

all ridiculous

Not ridiculous at all. I just got a selfie stick for the first top and got some absolutely spectacular photos of my wife and I that I wouldn't have been able to get without one. I only wish I had purchased one earlier.

On my last trip I wish I had brought a pair of garden shears to cut all the selfie sticks.

All those people take photos of themselves constantly is so idiodic ......

:D:D:D

I don't know why some people are so bothered by selfie sticks. If you see someone using one.. just look away... I have one that I've used a few times, its the only way DH and I can both be in the picture.

Because a lot of people are morons and don't pay attention to what is going on around them and are just outright rude.