First Night - Blu or Specialty?

mafig

Very often there are some good sales for the specialty restaurants on the first night.

However, I've read here that people say they look forward to the first evening's menu in Blu and wouldn't miss it.

This is our first time in Blu. What do you do?

The menu for each dining venue is posted outside the door.

I would look at the menu when I board.

Decide then.

I was just off the Reflection Saturday. Looked at the menu- booked the discount available at the Lawn Club Grill first night.

It was fantastic. Had to go back another time to the Lawn club that week.

Very often there are some good sales for the specialty restaurants on the first night.

However, I've read here that people say they look forward to the first evening's menu in Blu and wouldn't miss it.

This is our first time in Blu. What do you do?

It used to be that the first night in Blu was Filet Mignon which was excellent. They have switched this up a bit, the filet may be first night or later on the cruise. Often the Specialties have good deals on first night so choice is up to you.

We often do specialties the first night. Deals are great and although the service in the specialties is always great on X, we have found that the service is extra special since they want to encourage you to come back. Check out the Blu menu and decide.

Check the Blu menu first. If Filet is on the menu, dine in Blu.

Specials are offered in Specialty Restaurants only when reservations are low. Each Maitre 'd is giving a goal for the cruise, if they are low they offer a special. Now, sometimes AQ is full and there are problems with wait times in Blu. When this happens a special discount is offered in one of the specialty restaurants only available to AQ passengers. These discounts are usually better that the first night offer. There tend to be more specials offered on TAs since people have more days to book and daily reservations may be low. remember, they only offer a special when they need to.

What would you consider a good deal for the specialty? Isn't 30% what they're offering now?

A "good deal" is what is good to you. I've had as much as 50% off entire bill, but don't hold off for it.

One tidbit not mentioned yet is the ability to introduce yourself to the Blu host on the first night, and gauge your first taste of the wait staff. We have found this helpful, in that when the first night waiter and assistant are to our liking, we let the host know we want them every night. We get a consistent sommelier that way as well. They get to know our tastes and habits. It makes dining more pleasurable, IMHO.

First night, any restaurant, any cruise....blank slate of knowledge by the serving staff of all but an odd b2b...

Service will be slow....staff as yet have no knowledge of drinks packages, bread preferences, guests who want speedy service, guests who eat slow....

All speciality restaurants mainly focus on one/two night visitors and are staffed and prepared for not knowing who has which drink package, preferred water, wine....We now tend to have speciality dining included with our suite but even if we didn't first night would always be a speciality venue...

A "good deal" is what is good to you. I've had as much as 50% off entire bill, but don't hold off for it.

Exactly, I agree with Orator. We haven't done a specialty for a couple of years because they have overpriced themselves. I'm not paying $100 per couple over and above the price of the cruise fare I've already paid. That's what's good for us.

We look at several menus...Luminae, and Blu first, along with MDR that you can get in Luminae. That makes it very easy for us to choose, as we like to dine as early as possible...

Also, if you want a certain table or area, you have a better choice when dining earlier or if you are lucky. If you don't care about the table or time, then it really doesn't matter... some are particular about things and others not so much. Good food is most important for us!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On Blu, last October, the first night was filet mignon. It was very good. I do feel like a number of people, I am paying good money for the cruise. I think their regular restaurants are fine. We don't need to go to specialty restaurants. If you live in some little town in the middle of a desert, maybe you don't have access to good restaurants. We live in New York. There are a lot of good places to eat before or after the cruise.

Just got off Silhouette Sunday. Sailed Aqua class. I would recommend Blu. The staff in there on Silhouette was amazing. I would agree with another who stated go the first night so they get to know you. You will be happy with Blu.

Always liked the ahi-tuna the 1st night in BLU.

Of all the Celebrity cruises I taken in the last 7 years (I think we are at 18 now) I only eaten in a specialty restaurant once. That was because one of the cruises gave it to me as a perk when I booked. We ate in Murano. It was good but I am happy with MDR and/or BLU, depending what class of cabin I booked.

Edited by Banjo

Yes, but..... we do have OBC. And this cruise we won't be taking any excursions, so I thought we'd do at least one specialty.

We have been in 16 Celebrity cruises and have always been able to get a discount in the speciality restaurants any night (except holidays) if you are a bit flexible on time. So you could go to Blu on the first night & a speciality another night.

We always go to our assigned dining venue(Luminae, Blu or MDR) on the

first night.

We have been in 16 Celebrity cruises and have always been able to get a discount in the speciality restaurants any night (except holidays) if you are a bit flexible on time. So you could go to Blu on the first night & a speciality another night.

We always go to our assigned dining venue(Luminae, Blu or MDR) on the

first night.

I think that's what we'll do.^^^:D

Thanks everyone!

We do the exact opposite. We introduce ourselves to the maitre'd and staff during the day. We ask them to book a spot at a specialty restaurant of our choice. The staff gets credit for the specialty reservation. They know we understand that the first night is the most hectic for them. We have never received less than 50% off the first night.

Each to their own

Enjoy the cruise

Chris

If you are wanting to do a specialty restaurant, embarkation day is the day to do it IMO. We were able to get half off of the LCG, since we were an AQ class booking. Maybe they do it for all cabins?

But I honestly wouldn't do any other specialty restaurant. Have had bad experiences, and food, in Tuscan both visits. Not really fans of the Murano menu. We don't eat seafood/sushi. And Qsine is just too much food for 2 people. Made this all about me...Sorry!

Definitely do specialty dining the first night. Have never been able to get that steep of a discount any other night. I think the most we have been able to get other nights was 30% off. But mostly just 20% off.

Have a wonderful trip!