Cruise oversold

I wonder if the fact that it was an international flight that US involuntary bumping rules did not come into play.

I don't know if they had bumping rules back then - this happened 24 years ago - I think the only time it ever happened to me (go figure for a United million miler).

And it looks like the OP had options to refuse, when I first read the post I thought OP just couldn't even be on the ship for today's sailings .

If the other folks who got offers also refused, the OP may not be going today. RCI can simply deny you boarding and give you a refund.

So we're on our way to Ft. Lauderdale to get on a 10 night cruise on Serenade tomorrow. Booked a guarantee balcony room.

As of this morning room still not assigned. No worries, I heard that although it is rare, it does happen.

Then I get a call from Royal Caribbean. "I'm sorry ma'am but I have bad news. Your cruise was oversold. You can do a 7 night on Harmony and $400 onboard credit or we can give full refund." W H A T ? ? ?

I asked how it could be oversold and he said they had some rooms they thought would be available but they're not. I asked how many rooms oversold. He said 15!

So like everyone else that booked this cruise for many personal reasons I told him I was very disappointed and that this was unacceptable.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Makes you wonder what the "guarantee" is?

SO SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU LISA!!!! YAY!!!!!

:D:champagne-toast::wine-glass::wine-glass::whiskey-glass:

Great news! We got a room! Its on Deck 8 and not obstructed. God is good!

I didn't really hear the details about the $400 onboard credit because my mind was about to explode.

I just called and asked if they were able to assign us a room yet and she said yes.

Glad I stood my ground and said no.

They definitely need to fix this though.

Thanks for your comments and support. :D

i choose an april 2019 booking ( presumably the least filled) and saw zero guarantees under the suites. is this something that only appears when they are nearly sold out or should they be available day one?

Guarantees are the exception on RC, not the rule. I cannot say under what conditions they are offered, but they appear random to me, and not all categories.

If the other folks who got offers also refused, the OP may not be going today. RCI can simply deny you boarding and give you a refund.

Hey Biker. I challenged the other posters yesterday with no response to quote the cruise contract regarding "bumping rules"... I have read the contract over and over and cannot find anything specific whatsoever to "voluntarily" or "non-voluntary" bumping (other than mechanical failure, weather, etc etc). Have I missed the wording? Are you sure RCL can deny you boarding when you have been emailed your cruise contract? Can you provide a link or quote regarding this specific issue? Thx Biker

i choose an april 2019 booking ( presumably the least filled) and saw zero guarantees under the suites.

The only generalization I've observed in the past three years of watching prices fairly closely, is that W (suite) GTY offers are rarer than Z (inside) and X (balcony) and that they usually are offered closer to the sailing date.

Are you sure RCL can deny you boarding when you have been emailed your cruise contract?

It's probably not in there but it has happened - when the bus is full, the next person can't get on - real simple. I'm not sure the reason for denied boarding matters much to the customer (due to overbooking, mechanical issues, incorrect dress, etc..)

It's probably not in there but it has happened - when the bus is full, the next person can't get on - real simple. I'm not sure the reason for denied boarding matters much to the customer (due to overbooking, mechanical issues, incorrect dress, etc..)

My next question to the OP would be if the cruise contract was issued to them? I've never had a GTY assigned to me so close to sailing to know any better, but I know my 3 GTY's I have booked in the past I did not have my cruise contract issued (and printable from my cruise planner) until after my cabin was assigned. If the cruise contract was not issued, I can assume there hasn't been anything agreed to by either party? There's very specific wording on the contract stating RCL liability for weather, cancellation, itinerary changes, so many other things... but absolutely nothing that I can see for bumping. I don't know... I do not proclaim to be lawyer

All I know is if I have a cruise contract, they'd better get me a room or show me specifically where I agreed to them bumping me at their convenience.

My next question to the OP would be if the cruise contract was issued to them? I've never had a GTY assigned to me so close to sailing to know any better, but I know my 3 GTY's I have booked in the past I did not have my cruise contract issued (and printable from my cruise planner) until after my cabin was assigned. If the cruise contract was not issued, I can assume there hasn't been anything agreed to by either party? There's very specific wording on the contract stating RCL liability for weather, cancellation, itinerary changes, so many other things... but absolutely nothing that I can see for bumping. I don't know... I do not proclaim to be lawyer

All I know is if I have a cruise contract, they'd better get me a room or show me specifically where I agreed to them bumping me at their convenience.

I have been issued Docs & SS pass showing cabin no as GTY.

So, you are the pier terminal and they tell you they don't have a cabin. You will argue contract details with the checkin person and demand to be let on the ship? That doesn't seem realistic to me.

In real life, RCI dangles enough of carrot, as has happened in this case, and contract details don't really matter.

Biker, who does understand that some lawyerly person may want to keep arguing this point because "it's the principle of the thing".

Biker, who does understand that some lawyerly person may want to keep arguing this point because "it's the principle of the thing".

Your sayings after your posts are brilliant lol :D

Yep, keep upping the ante until someone bites and takes an offer I guess

Having said that, would sure be interesting on embarkation day if they did not get enough cruisers to bite at a deal because of an IT glitch (nah, RCL doesn't have IT glitches do they?:rolleyes:).

ok I'm done .... next topic! :halo:

I was not sure if anything had posted the T&Cs yet but I was just reviewing my contract for my upcoming sailing and noticed this. This is not specific to a guarantee but speaks to the cruise line making changes to your reservation:

6. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:

a. Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

I was not sure if anything had posted the T&Cs yet but I was just reviewing my contract for my upcoming sailing and noticed this. This is not specific to a guarantee but speaks to the cruise line making changes to your reservation:

a. Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination, lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or port of call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including but not limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.

This seems to explain some questions above. Then not sure if means anything but wonder it contract starts the day you sign in and board ship, no guarantees until then...

You're in luck if they cancel your cruise because your insurance will cover that. We weren't so lucky - Celebrity cancelled half of our cruise. Independent, name-brand, big company insurance wouldn't pay for that so we got stuck switching to a ship we didn't want to sail on, to ports we don't want to go to. Lost $525 in OBC and 2 free drink packages. Had to pay MORE for the 'new' cruise and were finally given $150 OBC and most of our flight change fees back. Overall - a big rip!

All of the cruise lines do it, it's just a matter of how well they handle the situation. OP, glad it worked out for you in the end and sorry you had to go through that stress.

Then not sure if means anything but wonder it contract starts the day you sign in and board ship, no guarantees until then...

Seems to me the contract starts when you book.

Biker, who thought this drama would drag out some more.

Following this story....glad the OP got her cabin. I suggest arriving at the pier early and get your sea pass in hand and don't let go!!! ;p

As a former hotel manager, I hated oversold nights and having to walk people to other hotels, it was never a pleasant experience.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!!!

Years ago the contract used to also say that the cruise line made no warranty as to the seaworthiness of the ship. I remember the first cruise we ever took, I read the contract and my first thought was why the heck would anyone ever agree to this thing. The cruise lines could save a lot of space and reading time by just condensing the whole contract to this.....

1. The cruise line has all the rights.

2. Any passengers who think they have any rights have, obviously, have not read #1 above.

Years ago the contract used to also say that the cruise line made no warranty as to the seaworthiness of the ship. I remember the first cruise we ever took, I read the contract and my first thought was why the heck would anyone ever agree to this thing. The cruise lines could save a lot of space and reading time by just condensing the whole contract to this.....

1. The cruise line has all the rights.

2. Any passengers who think they have any rights have, obviously, have not read #1 above.

If you read all the small print you are spot on with your summary.

We cruise with RCCL and P&O.