room service on X?

39august

We ordered room service at least once a day, sometimes twice of sea days. Please note that some items have a charge. Just pay attention when you order.

Does RCCL actually charge $7.95 for room services? I was actually thinking about taking one of their cruises as a change of pace.

In Feb on the Infinity I looked at the Room Service Menu on the TV- was thinking of ordering a cheese plate to go with our late afternoon wine in the balcony. The cheese plate had a charge of $15 :o. So if we had ordered it the deliver was free but not the cheese plate. DH went to the Oceanview to get some cheese and crackers- maybe not as good but $15 for cheese & crackers is more than we are paying for something to go with a glass of wine.

Wow! Guess I will stick to my usual plan of making my own cheese plate from the buffet during the afternoon for a snack later on. I do this on RCI as I can make a much better fruit and cheese plate than what I can get from room service!

Is room service food still no charge on X, please? And how is the cheese plate? Any crackers that come with it?

The cheese plate is rather blah. You could certainly do better going to the buffet & doing one up yourself. The room service is generally free except later at night. The service itself is not bad. Certainly MUCH better than what we had on Princess. We do like the fact that there are extra charge options for more upscale choices on the menu. We thought they were worth the extra cost. Some might not, but as I said, it's an available option.

In Feb on the Infinity I looked at the Room Service Menu on the TV- was thinking of ordering a cheese plate to go with our late afternoon wine in the balcony. The cheese plate had a charge of $15 :o. So if we had ordered it the deliver was free but not the cheese plate. DH went to the Oceanview to get some cheese and crackers- maybe not as good but $15 for cheese & crackers is more than we are paying for something to go with a glass of wine.

I think the cheese plate you are referring to is a large plate and generally ordered of you having a party in your room or want to enjoy a bottle of wine..

Concierge and Aqua cabins receive daily canapes. Sometimes, those passengers opt to exchange that for a small fruit and cheese plate or a small shrimp cocktail. Cheese plates are not on the regular room service menu and not available for everyone, except for what you saw on your tv. The room service menu in your cabin info book has that plate listed along with other catering type snacks (nuts, birthday cake, drink set-up etc)

If you are not in one of those type cabins, you can inquire when you call room service.They may make a small one up. It is not what is pictured here, which is what you saw;

http://www.celebritycruises.com/bonvoyage/cruise-culinary-delights/platters/item-code-cpl3

Last week on the Reflection we ordered room service using the menu on tv. Two of the dishes we ordered were the regular cheese plate for no charge and the artisan cheese plate for $15. Both were the same size but contained different cheeses. The $15 artisan cheese plate was worth it to us. There was no delivery charge ... the order was at 2:30pm.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The artisan cheese plate will include cheeses that the free plate won't. DH is a cheese lover and will occasionally bring down a few pieces of "better" cheeses and a couple slices of baquette/rolls for a snack the next day if we will be skipping lunch with activities. The buffet does not always offer anything better than the sliced generic cheddar, co-jack etc.

Even in the dining room, they will not upgrade their cheese plate. Our last two X cruises had the maître d say they can't get the cheeses from the specialty restaurants served in the MDR.

I guess I get it. But on Princess and especially HAL the cheeses are much nicer in the MDR.

Mmm. My daughter and I will be on Equinox (Concierge Class) in a couple of months, and we like nice cheeses. So can we get a small artisan cheese plate from room service included, or will that be $15?

Artisan cheese plate was $15 in a suite on Reflection two weeks ago. I would expect it's the same in Concierge class.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Tip I learned a long time ago from CC board is to carry extra zip-lock bags with you. You can go to the buffet and pick up something to take back to your cabin and slide the plate into the gallon zip lock. It not only keeps out any germs while riding the elevator with others, but you can slide it into the mini-fridge to keep it fresh for a late night or mid-afternoon snack of cheese crackers, etc. When I get to the cabin, I put things like crackers into a smaller zip lock separate from cheeses, pickles, olives, etc. Late at night, I can grab a drink at the bar or pop open a bottle of wine brought on board and have a nice snack and drink(s) out on the balcony without waiting on room service.:D

Many of the lines are starting to charge a fee for room service. RCI used to be only from midnight to 5am or so...but now, only "continental breakfast" carries no charge. Same with NCL.

I'm close to an RCCL cruise and just found out about their new $7.95/order room service (excluding continental breakfast). I hope Celebrity maintains its upscale feel and leaves the nickel and diming to NCL, Carnival and RCCL.