Power Strip Confiscated on Celebrity Eclipse

2-4-cruisin

Anyone else have this happen? Was anyone able to take a power strip onboard? Not sure why it was taken. It was in our checked luggage and my husband had to go to security to open the suitcase so they could remove it. We got it back after leaving the ship AND the terminal. We managed with the 2 available outlets and kept 3 kindles and a phone charged adequately. Just disappointed in having to time the use of the devices according to which was more in need of charging.

They will sometimes allow the small outlet cubes (as opposed to strips). But yes, they confiscate them because of fire hazards and overloading issues.

You'll sometimes see tables full of confiscated plugs at the docks.

You'll sometimes see tables full of confiscated plugs at the docks.

It's probably because everyone thinks their device is safe but a fire on the ship can be a dangerous occurrence.

I worked in a hospital and I am sure, just like many other types of businesses, we couldn't plug anything into an outlet unless first checked by engineering. They would tag if if deemed safe.

Lots of threads on the boards on this these days. As stated, they're a fire hazard, especially if they have a surge protector.

If you're charging USB chargeable devices (Kindle, cell phone, etc.), then get a 5-6 port USB charging hub off Amazon. It'll charge your devices an only use one of the outlets, and with an adaptor you can use it with the 220V European outlet.

It's too bad you came to Cruise Critic after the cruise, rather than before it. The subject has come up many times, and each time the advice is not to bring any device that is surge protected. They are fire hazards on ships. There are several options available for charging multiple devices which are not surge protected -- look for one of them next time and you should have no trouble.

I Am so sorry you and others do not read X's website in advance to determine what is or is not permitted aboard...

This rather it be power strips, alcohol, etc...

I trust you had a good cruise regardless....

bon voyage

I Am so sorry you and others do not read X's website in advance to determine what is or is not permitted aboard...

This rather it be power strips, alcohol, etc...

I trust you had a good cruise regardless....

bon voyage

I am sorry I missed seeing the part about power strips too. I certainly would not have wanted to set the ship on fire. So I too am thankful that security took it. I did have a wonderful cruise. We made do with what was available. I am glad I came to cruise critic now, as maybe someone who will be cruising soon will see our experience and know about leaving their power strips at home. Thanks for all your input.

First, let me say that I am in full agreement that surge protected devices, and other items mentioned in this thread have to stay at home. However, Celebrity's website still only mentions that "extension cords" are the only device of this general type that is not allowed on board (power distribution devices). I was even able to break this rule in December by carrying on, in one of our hand bags, a long extension cord. (Note: I had no intention of using it on the ship, I only had it incase I needed it at the pre-cruise hotel for my CPAP machine. I had already made arrangements for Celebrity to provide one for the cruise. I figured I would just carry it on and if they said something they could have it, otherwise it would just stay in the bags and not used. BTW - - Even though it had to been easily visible by x-ray it was not caught. I forgot that I even had it on me until later that day.)

Also, the rules on these devices vary. Princess for example, allows extension cords and may, or may not, be able to supply any (as I found out last year - I was told to bring my own). Princess' parent company, Carnival, expressly forbids surge protectors, but they are not mentioned by either Princess or Celebrity. (I have not checked other cruise lines.)

Obviously, only a fraction of cruisers belong to CC and to Celebrity's Board so it is easy to see how someone would not know that most electrical devices are limited, especially since Celebrity's website only mentions extension cords. By definition, power strips are not extension cords, only multiple outlet devices with usually a short pigtail power cord.

The point of this post is that the cruise lines and in this specific case, Celebrity, need to get their act together and write exactly what is allowed and what is not allowed. At the minimum they should follow the US Coast Guard's rule/strong recommendation and not allow surge protectors of any kind.

From Celebrity's website:

"For the safety of our guests and crew, there are certain items that are not allowed on board. If these are found, they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned. Prohibited items are at the discretion of the Chief Security Officer and the Staff Captain and include, but are not limited to:

• • Firearms and ammunition, including realistic replicas
  • • Sharp objects, including knives and scissors*
  • • Illegal drugs and substances
  • • Candles, incense, coffee makers, clothes irons, travel steamers and hot plates (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighters are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and are therefore prohibited.)
  • Electrical extension cords
  • • Baseball bats, hockey sticks, cricket bats, bows, and arrows
  • • Skateboards and surfboards
  • • Martial-arts gear
  • • Aerial drones
  • • Self-defense, including handcuffs, pepper spray, and night sticks
  • • Flammable liquids, including lighter fluid
  • • Explosives, including fireworks
  • • Hookahs & water hookah pipes
  • • Ham radios
  • • Dangerous chemicals, including bleach and paint
  • • Alcoholic beverages** (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing.)"

Some cruise lines like NCL limit only surge protected devices, while Celebrity has a blanket prohibition of all extension cords, surge protected or not. If you need one for something like a CPAP machine they will supply one for you.

We typically carry a very short plug in "extension cord" with a 12 inch length and multiple plugs for 3 or 4 plugs and always it is one that has a UL approved sticker on it...and no surge protector in it. Never a problem on X or NCL (the only lines we cruise on). We have heard of room stewards confiscating items that are not labeled UL approved.

I am sorry I missed seeing the part about power strips too. I certainly would not have wanted to set the ship on fire. So I too am thankful that security took it..

Jeanne,

Thanks for having a great attitude. :)

I've got a power strip that has three plugs, plus a USB charger. It does not have a surge protector. I've pasted a link below - it's the Travel Power Strip that currently showing as unavailable. I've brought it on Celebrity before. Any thoughts on whether or not something like this is still okay?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003I3LSJ8/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=181985317401&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15699997293894186421&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010741&hvtargid=kwd-104216180487&ref=pd_sl_4uepkz33uy_e_p20

I agree. Celebrity should update their FAQs, making them correct and more extensive. In the case of disallowed items they should mention the most popular items specifically and then a general description so as to leave no doubt as to what they mean to say.

They need to look no further than Cruise Critic and their own telephone customer service for updating questions.

Not only that, but they need to have a search function on the website so that anyone can find their answers quickly. Otherwise, you have to hunt all over and hope that you can stumble over what you need to know.

I agree. Celebrity should update their FAQs, making them correct and more extensive. In the case of disallowed items they should mention the most popular items specifically and then a general description so as to leave no doubt as to what they mean to say.

They need to look no further than Cruise Critic and their own telephone customer service for updating questions.

Not only that, but they need to have a search function on the website so that anyone can find their answers quickly. Otherwise, you have to hunt all over and hope that you can stumble over what you need to know.

A long time senior cruise ship employee (Officer) explained (on another cruise line's thread that surge protectors are very dangerous on cruise ships. The ship's electrical system is somewhat different then what we all have at home, and a surge protector presents a fire hazzard! Sometimes we have been able to get power strips (with no surge protector) on to our cruises (with several lines including Celebrity). Other times, the port security folks will see them on the X-ray (checked or carry-on bags) and confiscate them since they are not supposed to make a judgment as to which types are acceptable. Personally, if it is a matter of safety (for all aboard) then we cannot get too upset. We also carry a very basic extension cord (with 3 outlets on the end) that has never been stopped.

Hank

It happened to us last May. When we explained that it was used for a CPAP machine, we were allowed to use it. If we didn't get it back, we would not be able to charge our devices overnight. ( Kindle, Ipad,Ipod, cellphone, and camera). Now we bring a USB port box and European adapter to charge our devices. That way, we can use both electrical outlets.

Also, the rules on these devices vary. Princess for example, allows extension cords and may, or may not, be able to supply any (as I found out last year - I was told to bring my own). Princess' parent company, Carnival, expressly forbids surge protectors, but they are not mentioned by either Princess or Celebrity. (I have not checked other cruise lines.)

Carnival Cruise Line is not the parent company of Princess.

Carnival Corp. is the parent of both Carnival Cruise Line and Princess.

Now we bring a USB port box and European adapter to charge our devices. That way, we can use both electrical outlets.

Some links for others;

25 USD on Amazon; https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Charger-Desktop-Charging-Technology/dp/B00OQ19QYA/

20 USD on AliExpress; https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BlitzWolf-Certified-BW-S7-Quick-Charge-QC3-0-40W-Smart-5-Ports-High-Speed-Desktop-Phone/32684069361.html (this one can be ordered with an EU plug but the China shipping might take some time..)

Or Google for Anker's PowerPort 4 or 5 (both 40W) or PowerPort 6 if you need 60W and 6 USB ports.

All chargers are high speed chargers too! And can charge anything; from phones, tablets to e-readers and digital cameras. Just bring the right USB cable. :D

Best tip is to buy and use shorter cables to avoid clutter and unneeded weight and volume.

Originally posted by 2-4-cruisin I am sorry I missed seeing the part about power strips too. I certainly would not have wanted to set the ship on fire. So I too am thankful that security took it..

Thanks for having a great attitude. :)

Thank you, Texed and thanks to all for the suggestions as to what to bring next time. I'm going to make sure I buy the proper equipment. Happy cruises to all of you!

• Electrical extension cords
  • • Baseball bats, hockey sticks, cricket bats, bows, and arrows
  • • Skateboards and surfboards
  • • Martial-arts gear
  • • Aerial drones
  • • Self-defense, including handcuffs, pepper spray, and night sticks
  • • Flammable liquids, including lighter fluid
  • • Explosives, including fireworks
  • • Hookahs & water hookah pipes
  • • Ham radios
  • • Dangerous chemicals, including bleach and paint
  • • Alcoholic beverages** (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing.)"

Sptrout, thanks for the helpful info. I did have someone search my bag on re-entering the ship in one port because they thought I had candles in my shopping bag. They were actually lollipops for my grandsons. Have a great day!

• 9 months later...
It happened to us last May. When we explained that it was used for a CPAP machine, we were allowed to use it. If we didn't get it back, we would not be able to charge our devices overnight. ( Kindle, Ipad,Ipod, cellphone, and camera). Now we bring a USB port box and European adapter to charge our devices. That way, we can use both electrical outlets.

Sorry for the late reply. Celebrity will supply extension cords AND distilled water for CPAP machines, quite impressed. You just need to ask your cabin attendant or make it known when you book. A note gets added to your reservation which tells the ship you have the device.

On a recent Celebrity Eclipse cruise at disembarkation I notice that there was a large table filled with extension cords, power bars, steamers, travel irons and kettles. All of them had a claim tag and passenger name them. A security offers was there to return them

I'm very glad they take this risk of fire seriously.