Will Celebrity Ever Sail From California Again ?

mcrcruiser

We miss the round trip Hawaii & Mexico cruises which sailed from San Diego or San Pedro ,southern California .

How many of you would like to see Celebrity resume those sailings ?

Heck they could even add a west coast Panama Canal partial transit of 10 nights, like they do from the Florida ports.;)

In our opinion Celebrity or Royal Caribbean could spare a ship or 2 to do those interesting itineraries .:)

Give us your feedback

As EDGE and her sisters come on line it will be interesting to see if the M Class ships are sent to different markets where Celebrity does not current sail or traded off to RCCL subsidiary lines like their predecessors.

As EDGE and her sisters come on line it will be interesting to see if the M Class ships are sent to different markets where Celebrity does not current sail or traded off to RCCL subsidiary lines like their predecessors.

Good point . Those M class ships or at least one to service out of San or the World Cruise Center in San Pedro would be great ;)

There is another itinerary that they could deploy a M class ship is a round trip 10 night round trip west coast cruise stopping in Ensenada Mexico . Thus ,we can see at least 4or 5 different itineraries for a M class .Ship

Also Celebrity could keep 2 M Class ships for LA & SD & include cruises to Tahiti /Hawaii or even the orient from the west coast

It seems to us very logical to deploy ships per the above itineraries . Celebrity are you listening ;)

Yes I would love it. As we live in Seattle area. But the problem is that Celebrity was not making any money on the west coast in to Mexico. Between Princess, Carnival , Holland American, Disney and other cruise lines all doing west coast Mexico. You must understand why Celebrity and Royal Caribbean pulled out. We were getting great deals doing the West Coast down into Mexico. Also now with the so called problems in Mexico. Our last cruise into Acapulco, Mexico we never got off the ship. We leave May 4th for our May 7th Celebrity cruise Hawaii to Vancouver. Our last cruise was Hong Kong to Shanghai. So there still are cruises in the Pacific.

I vote for Celebrity to sail in and out of San Francisco more often. We would take any M class ship if you don't want to give us the S class ships. Even San Diego is a close second to San Francisco. We're not asking for much ... ;) I can dream!!

But, there are a couple of sailings out of LA this fall on the Infinity ... up the California coast and back again. Also, there are a few Panama Canal cruises over the next couple of years that either start or end in San Diego. These tend to fill ... but the California coastals don't sell all that well as Princess has cornered that market. The port charges within the US are rather high, too. I would love to see some Mexico itineraries but think those are also hard to fill as the market is glutted. But, as I see it, it would be no harder to fill the ship than all those sailings in the Caribbean.

We do understand the frustration of West Coast cruisers. But its all a business decision. West Coast ports are just not that convenient (except for San Francisco), the Longshoreman make their demands, the CA emission rules (which impacted the use of bunker fuel on older ships) cost money, and the potential itineraries for shorter cruises (the ones in most demand) are very limited. And then there are lots of folks who are afraid to cruise to Mexico (do not flame me...as we live in Puerto Vallarta for several months a year). And when RCI had weekly cruises to the Mexican Riviera...supply and demand forced them to constantly reduce the prices to try an fill the ships. Meanwhile, on the other side of the country we have the Caribbean with many popular ports, several excellent cruise ports (with nearby airports), etc. So, as long as Celebrity can fill their ships in the Caribbean (at higher prices then they could get on the West Coast), why would they relocate a vessel to CA. It is not just Celebrity who has abandoned that market...but also RCI! In Puerto Vallarta (this winter) we would routinely see ships of HAL, Princess and Carnival. Other lines such as Crystal and Oceania made an infrequent stop (they were on longer itineraries). When CA imposed their unique cruise ship fuel rules (which required changing over fuel when off the coast) quite a few cruise lines went elsewhere. Now, that is not a big issue (because the rules have become more widespead) but the die was cast. And lets consider a typical cruise going out of Ft Lauderdale or Miami where the airports are relatively close to the cruise ports...that can handle many ships. Compare that to the southern CA ports such as San Pedro which is 20 miles from LAX!

Hank

Yes I would love it. As we live in Seattle area. But the problem is that Celebrity was not making any money on the west coast in to Mexico. Between Princess, Carnival , Holland American, Disney and other cruise lines all doing west coast Mexico. You must understand why Celebrity and Royal Caribbean pulled out. We were getting great deals doing the West Coast down into Mexico. Also now with the so called problems in Mexico. Our last cruise into Acapulco, Mexico we never got off the ship. We leave May 4th for our May 7th Celebrity cruise Hawaii to Vancouver. Our last cruise was Hong Kong to Shanghai. So there still are cruises in the Pacific.

Yes those cruises leave from Vancouver BC Canada & not US west coast ports . Even SF is a drive by car for us living in coastal SD .Although a long drive with stop over ,it beats flying :). Then there is seeing wine country with ones own car ;)

Carnival has the most Mexican Riviera cruises with a ship based out of Long Beach . Then Princess & Holland America are intermittent cruises to the Mexican Riviera.

There are no cruise lines going as far down as Acapulco or Ixtapa Mexico nor any cruise lines doing a 10 day turn around partial Panama Canal cruise as is done from Florida ports . Thus ,there are so many options available for really nice cruises from California ports & with 37 million just in California not counting Arizona , Nevada ,Oregon ,Washington Utah & New Mexico residents who could drive or a relatively short flight is a huge market of people

We do understand the frustration of West Coast cruisers. But its all a business decision. West Coast ports are just not that convenient (except for San Francisco), the Longshoreman make their demands, the CA emission rules (which impacted the use of bunker fuel on older ships) cost money, and the potential itineraries for shorter cruises (the ones in most demand) are very limited. And then there are lots of folks who are afraid to cruise to Mexico (do not flame me...as we live in Puerto Vallarta for several months a year). And when RCI had weekly cruises to the Mexican Riviera...supply and demand forced them to constantly reduce the prices to try an fill the ships. Meanwhile, on the other side of the country we have the Caribbean with many popular ports, several excellent cruise ports (with nearby airports), etc. So, as long as Celebrity can fill their ships in the Caribbean (at higher prices then they could get on the West Coast), why would they relocate a vessel to CA. It is not just Celebrity who has abandoned that market...but also RCI! In Puerto Vallarta (this winter) we would routinely see ships of HAL, Princess and Carnival. Other lines such as Crystal and Oceania made an infrequent stop (they were on longer itineraries). When CA imposed their unique cruise ship fuel rules (which required changing over fuel when off the coast) quite a few cruise lines went elsewhere. Now, that is not a big issue (because the rules have become more widespead) but the die was cast. And lets consider a typical cruise going out of Ft Lauderdale or Miami where the airports are relatively close to the cruise ports...that can handle many ships. Compare that to the southern CA ports such as San Pedro which is 20 miles from LAX!

Hank

With the coming of the Edge ships starting in 2018 ,instead of selling off those very nice M class ships , Celebrity could have one doing many cruises from California & when the Alaska season started use the ship out of Seattle vs going all the way to Vancouver BC . Just more flexibility imo:)

I sure miss cruising from the west coast. We live half way between LA and SF so driving to a port would be a great option. I prefer not to sail Carnival so a cruise, for us, always involves a flight which then means we only cruise every 2-3 years. I miss RC on this coast for a quick get-away but I understand the business decision, I just don't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The current RUMOR is that the Infinity will be based in California in the next couple of years. Right now, Infinity has the greatest West Coast presence of the Celebrity line. Realize that Mexico/Hawai'i itineraries are limited to November through May because of the hurricane season in that part of the Pacific. However that works fine because Alaska itineraries could be offered June through October.

Infinity offers two roundtrip 7/8 day itineraries from San Pedro to San Francisco in Sep/Oct, 2017. We will be on one of them. Per day pricing is very competitive but going up as the ship continues to fill to capacity. The Infinity is a fine ship with a great crew. We were on her last May and she sparkled bright and shiny!

Come on Celebrity, make it happen!

Hank

Hank:

That's for that info, it was an interesting read....

I would love do to a Hawaiian cruise.

I would love to do that cruise on Celebrity.

But I live on the east coast. I would NOT love to have to go all the way to Vancouver (no offense, Canadians!) and then fly home from Honolulu.

So currently, Celebrity is not selling the cruise I want to buy. I hope this changes in the next few years!

We miss the round trip Hawaii & Mexico cruises which sailed from San Diego or San Pedro ,southern California .

How many of you would like to see Celebrity resume those sailings ?

Heck they could even add a west coast Panama Canal partial transit of 10 nights, like they do from the Florida ports.;)

In our opinion Celebrity or Royal Caribbean could spare a ship or 2 to do those interesting itineraries .:)

Give us your feedback

A few days ago you started a thread about how high Celebrity's current fares are and that it's causing you to look to other cruise lines. If Celebrity did in fact return to California, would you be willing to book and pay their prices?

I don't think they will return to the west coast. They were here years ago and left for a reason. We wouldn't support them as we have been to the Mexican Rivera, and Pacific coast ports enough and have no desire to ever go back. We prefer land vacations to Hawaii so there isn't other places to go from there.