Do you wear your real wedding rings on cruise trips?

bostongal123

Used to leave my engagement ring in a safe at home, and just wear wedding ring (same with other occasions, business travel etc.). The engagement ring was ostentatious and too exensive, and I didn't want to risk being a possible target in ports or having it slip off when swimming, etc. I also travel with a timex,instead of a rolex. On the other hand, I did wear the full works once on a cruise when I forgot to change. Boy, a few of the salesmen in the jewelery stores seemed to zero in. I've never been offered champagne or the opportunity to view jewlery in a private room when browsing before, or since.

I have worn my wedding ring for 49 years and would not consider taking it off. I always wear it with a ring DH bought me for our silver anniversary, which is nicer than my engagement ring - we put our money into a house, not a fancy ring at that time.

Flashy jewellery does not appeal to me, I wear the same small gold earrings and pendent most days, at home or on holiday.

I don't think so...I bought a lovely little band with CZs encrusted all the way around. It's stylish and I have no guilt if it slips off and I lose it. I am in the water for 7 days so I decided it wasn't worth the risk. My engagement ring is a $3k Sri Lankan Sapphire, no way I'm gonna risk it. \

You'd be surprised at how many people lose their rings on the beach or in the ocean. Tons! My DH included (2 times) Plus I get to play with new designs. The real ones go back on as soon as I get home.

I take a whole cloth jewelry bag full of my jewelry, Don't get to wear it much at home so bring it and keep the whole thing in the safe. It's mostly gemstone jewelry. Not too expensive mostly. I love topaz, amethists and garnets, stuff like that. It stays on the ship though, never lost anything.

Edited by BecciBoo

My wedding set is insured...has been since the day we bought it over 30 years ago. I wouldn't think of NOT wearing it.

I take whatever jewelry I want when we travel. Why own it if its only going to sit in a box? Its just stuff. It can be replaced through insurance if something happens.

I always wore mine, but a diamond fell out (I found it) and I left it at home because I hadn't had it fixed yet. My 19 year old who had stayed home let her boyfriend over and he stole it along with several other things.

The only time we have ever taken ours off during a cruise is when we were swimming with the dolphins , only because they asked us to take them off. I don't see what the big deal is anyways.

We were so poor when we got married that my engagement ring was just a chip. I got a thin band on each side of my engagement ring. My husband took me to the jewelry store to replace it for Christmas one year. I went to try on these diamonds and suddenly began to cry. I told him I did not want a new ring because this one had served me well. We went on a Holland America cruise and he bought me a ring of 7 small diamonds that I wear under my engagement ring and over the bottom band. I never take them off. I am so proud of my rings. They are not valuable to anyone but me. I love them 28 years later.

I rarely wear my diamonds, but TBH I rarely wear them at home either. I have a tungsten carbide band that matches DH's, and wear that 98% of the time. If we're dressing for dinner, I'll wear the good stuff. If we're going casual, like I think we are for our next cruise, I leave them at home.

This perhaps is a silly question but I am curious what most people do. Do you leave your irreplaceable valuables at home (wedding rings come to mind) or wear them on the ships?

I bought my wife a plain, non-descript titanium band that I affectionately call her stunt ring. She doesn't care for it, but it matches my ring in a much smaller, daintier fashion. I've seen a lot of pros/cons on this topic, but FOR US (and you can only speak for yourself) this stunt ring is nothing to steal.

If someone walks up to us or scopes us, it has no jewels (fake or real), it's not gold or shiny (it's matte dark gray metal), and it's boring. It doesn't make us a target, ever.

If she loses it swimming or snorkeling, it's cheap to replace. Almost worthless.

If someone were to do something insane like hold up an entire group of people and tell them to throw all their valuables in the bag... they got nothing from us worth anything.

People say "you can't live your life in fear!" and act like not wearing rings on vacations is insanity. I call it realistic. I don't worry about it. I just know if it were to happen, we're cool. We have insurance and everything is covered... but why add worries is our feeling. You can get mugged anywhere, but I'd say your chances go WAY up in some of these cruise ports.

I personally think costume jewelry or CZ that looks like diamonds is silly from a robbery standpoint. Only you know it is fake, not potential baddies so you're still a target. Either wear your real stuff and don't worry about it OR wear something that doesn't look real. Although, if you're only worried about losing it in an activity, the fake stuff works.

A couple I know lost over $15k of stuff in a mugging in the Balkans on a cruise excursion. A guy I know got beat senseless in Paris over his wife's $5k ring. Another couple we know was beat up in St. Lucia over a CZ ring worth nothing.

Bad Topic.

Being on social media and telling everyone what expensive jewelry you leave at home when you on vacation. It's really not that hard to figure out who some of you are especial if you show up on other sites.

Be very careful!

This is one reason I don't announce here that I am going on a cruise or join a Roll Call. I have seen on the Roll Call for cruises we have gone on with a list of peoples full name and town that live. This is just one easy method to find out who you are.

I wear my rings (wedding set & mother's ring) all the time. Only time my wedding ring was off my finger was when I broke my wrist and I was wearing a cast.

I have, on occasion, not worn my engagement ring (mostly when participating in costumed events where it doesn't fit), but the wedding ring (just a band) stays put.

I take all my good jewelry with me. That is why I have insurance! I am not going to wear fake jewelry when I travel. I wear my wedding rings all the time, and I have diamond necklasses/earrings/bracelets that I wear in the evening for dinner. When not wearing them, they are in the safe on the ship

I always wore mine, but a diamond fell out (I found it) and I left it at home because I hadn't had it fixed yet. My 19 year old who had stayed home let her boyfriend over and he stole it along with several other things.

Sad story. Hopefully it taught her to be more careful/selective.

I wear both rings (wedding band, engagement) and hubby wears his wedding band. When walking around in ports, I do flip the diamond part of engagement ring around so it just appears that I only have a wedding ring. No other jewelry in ports though and just simple earrings, necklace and sometimes a bracelet on the ship in the evenings (nothing expensive).

When I was married, those rings never came off. It never occurred to me to take them off. But, mine was not gaudy and could not blind anyone. I was active in sports and I wanted something that I could wear 24/7, not put on to show off. I did get an "upgraded" diamond for our 20th anniversary, but I went for quality, not size, so it was still just right for my active life.

A question: why would you cruise to a port where you are in such fear that you do not wear the rings that you wear at home everyday?

Also, those who say they bring "fake" bling: you do realize that a thief cannot tell the difference between a real diamond and a CZ when they are taking it off your finger? It's not like they have a loupe and take the time to inspect the rock... If you live in fear of having your jewelry forcibly removed, you are better off going "naked" than wearing fake.

My wedding set is insured...has been since the day we bought it over 30 years ago. I wouldn't think of NOT wearing it.

I take whatever jewelry I want when we travel. Why own it if its only going to sit in a box? Its just stuff. It can be replaced through insurance if something happens.

of course mine is insured as well but I would still be devastated to lose either ring. I don't travel often, maybe one or two weeks out of the year. I think it's a stretch to say that if I'm wearing it 50 weeks a year and not wearing it 2 that it's only sitting in a box.

Ultimately though, to each their own.

For anyone who does decide not to wear them though, hide them before you leave. In weird places. And tell yourself and your husband 10 times where you put it so you don't forget ;)

One time when we were leaving on a cruise my son asked if we had any special wishes in case something happened. I said "Yes, don't bury me with any jewelry - you and your sister should have it".

Then he asked my husband the same thing. He said "Yeah - I want to be buried with your mom's jewelry". :D