Which beach?? (St. Thomas)

WeLuv2Cruz13

Magens Bay or Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas? Trying to decide which Celebrity excursion to pick. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I see things on other threads about one or the other but didn't see anything comparing them.

Thanks!

We love Megans Bay. Supposedly, is considered one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean. Save you $$$$ for excursions via Celebrity. All of the shuttle buses are clearly marked at the end of the pier to take you there for a very minimal cost. They are all lined up in the parking lot to take you back to the pier when you are ready.:cool:

Whichever, don't take an X excursion! Just walk out (just as you would to catch X excursion) and find one of those open air shuttle type buses. You don't need X to take you anywhere in St. Thomas if you're just going to be doing your own thing. Everything is marked. If it isn't, ask where they're going. They'll quickly fill up a van or taxi or open air shuttle with people going to your destination. Easy. Much less $$ than paying a cruise line to do what you easily do yourself.

Sapphire is pretty, but two years ago the beach chairs were locked up due to *negotiations* between chair owners and beach hotel owners. I'm sure it's solved by now. There are three or four (IIRC) distinct areas of beach there. Great fish sandwiches sold on the beach. We just put our towels under a tree and had a great day.

Magan's is gorgeous. Can be crowded. Get there early.

What kind of beach activities are you looking to do? If just relaxing with some food and drinks, then either Magen's or Sapphire would both be good options. If you've looking to snorkel, I think Sapphire is a little better than Megan's.

We've done them both, but Coki Beach is our favorite for snorkeling. Smaller family run beach (Coral World is right next door) with good food and drinks and great snorkeling.

We've also done St. John/Trunk Bay from St. Thomas and it is absolutely gorgeous and the snorkeling there is awesome. My only advice if you decide to do that one is make sure you have your transportation to/from the ferry options well planned. Rush hour traffic can be pretty bad and only time we almost missed the ship was when we did Trunk Bay from St. Thomas on our own.

Sapphire is one of my favorite beaches and the snorkeling is awesome. Amenities are not great, which is the only bad thing. So since we are with friends this time and it is their first time there, we are going back to Coki since the snorkeling is great there also.

Haven't been back to Magen's in a long time. Can't get in until 9 now which is late for us as we are always off the ship by 8. Plus the fee has gone up there also I think.

So we trade b/t Coki and Sapphire. In Dec we are going to a new beach we have not been to-Emerald Beach.

Magens Bay or Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas? Trying to decide which Celebrity excursion to pick. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I see things on other threads about one or the other but didn't see anything comparing them.

Thanks!

We've been to both and prefer Sapphire beach to Magens Bay.

Because of the "one of the most beautiful beaches in the world" tag, Magens Bay gets really crowded and to tell you the truth as far as I'm concerned, its no nicer then most beaches in the Caribbean.

Sapphire beach has more room to spread out, offers quite a bit of shade in some areas, has food, restrooms, and chair rentals, pretty much everything you need to enjoy a day at the beach.

Not sure if it's still there, but there was a great bar (I think it was part of a resort) within steps of where we set up and they had live music on and off all day.

As others have said, you can get there on your own instead of paying the prices the cruise line charges for a beach excursion. Taxis are easily available at the pier when you exit the ship.

Enjoy!

Saint Thomas is one of the easiest places to get around on your own. As others have suggested just take a taxi to the beach .......it will be less expensive than the cruise excursion. I think Megans Bay is highly overrated. It's always crowded and they charge you to get in. I prefer Coki beach and have been there several times.

For anyone wanting to go to Trunk Bay at St. John's the last time we went there we took the ferry. The ferry only ran once an hour on the hour so plan accordingly. For example if you get there at 10:05 you'll have to wait 55 more minutes for the next ferry and it's the same coming back.

Hi Karena1,

I have been to Emerald beach a few years ago...there was food, drinks and rental for beach chairs...very flat and Sandy to walk into the water before you could swim...I liked it better than Magans Bay...took a taxi there and back.. some of the ships crew went there as well...

I guess it really is a matter of taste...have fun...

Rose

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Hi Karena1,

I have been to Emerald beach a few years ago...there was food, drinks and rental for beach chairs...very flat and Sandy to walk into the water before you could swim...I liked it better than Magans Bay...took a taxi there and back.. some of the ships crew went there as well...

I guess it really is a matter of taste...have fun...

Rose

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

We have been to so many beaches over there. my sister/BIL went to Emerald and really liked it so decided when we go together on Harmony in Dec we will check it out. Honestly, have not yet found a bad beach in STT-LOL!!!

Thanks!

Neither! Emerald beach is less than a 5 minute taxi ride from the dock and about $4. Nice beach, food, bar, hotel there, you can rent chairs and umbrellas

X offers a St John on your own excursion supplying ALL transportation to St John...we signed up for that so we don't hv to stress about missing the ship...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

Pier290, I definitely think that is the way to go for doing St. John from St. Thomas! Have fun!

__ _.--..--._ _ .-' _/ _/\_ \_'-. |__ / _/\__/\_ \__| |___/\_\__/ \___| \__/ \__/ \__/ \__/ ____\__/___ . - ' ' -. / \~~~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~ ~~~~~ ~!~~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Edited by rain_bowbrite

X offers a St John on your own excursion supplying ALL transportation to St John...we signed up for that so we don't hv to stress about missing the ship...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

I'm of the same mind... and am a bit paranoid about a private company getting back too late to catch the ship. This is the biggest reason I lean towards the (overpriced) X excursions.

Megan's Bay is very nice if first time to St Thomas. You will also have time for some shopping.

The last time we went to Trunk Bay in St John, it was closer to a full day but it was well worth the trip. I would do this tour through the ship so you don't get left behind.

This pic of Trunk Bay was taken by my phone.

1455489142_trunkbay.jpg.2c77bc273da3893355c3c6c4e442d772.jpg

I've only been to Sapphire, so I can't answer your comparison question, but I can tell you that chairs were available for rent in April 2016. There wasn't a ton of coral, but I had a couple of amazing sea turtle encounters while snorkeling. Minimal vendors to bother you.

I didn't care for Sapphire last time, not impressed at all. I'm trying something different this time. But you might like it. It wasn't crowded at all when I was last there.

Some people love it but everyone looks for something different in a beach. The water was too dark and choppy for me. The sand was not fine enough.

We went on a Celebrity excursion recently called "Secret Shores" (or something like that) that took us to Smith Bay (Lindburgh Beach). It was unspoiled, crystal clear water and simply beautiful. Worth every penny ($43 p\p) You get 3 hours of beach time, unlimited drinks plus they take you up on Skyline Drive for a great view of Charlotte Amalie harbor on the way back. It takes about 25 minutes to get there so just be patient.

We've also taken the Celebrity excursion to Trunk Bay on St. John. Again, unspoiled and beautiful. You don't have to worry about transportation, you get a ferry across Pillsbury Sound (enjoyable ride) and jitney to the beach.

Privately we've gone to Morningstar Beach which is at the foot of the Marriott Frenchman's Reef hotel. A little more wave action and busy but still enjoyable. Any taxi will take you there, no fee for the beach

Never been to Sapphire Beach. A few years ago FYI they had a shooting there where a cruiser was killed. Hope they've cleaned that up.

We enjoyed all of these much more than to Magen's Bay. Just my opinion. IMO the water was dull and boring.

I thought Magen's Bay was overrated, crowded and very expensive. I love St John's both Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay. Water and beach are great but it is not. A place you rent padded loungers and have drinks and food close that is what you like. I think we might try Coki on our next trip later this month.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Trunk Bay is beautiful. However, you need to take a ferry over which takes a while and the ferry might not run the minute you want it to- also you need to get back to the ship- another problem if the ferry comes back late. Better to consider a trip to St. John's and enjoy the hotels on the island-

Have been to almost all of the beaches being discussed here.

Magens Bay-prettier from above than at the beach level. Think it's overrated. Easy access into the water

Coki Beach-pretty, decent snorkeling close to the beach. Amenites available:food,lounge chairs,umbrellas.drinks and bathrooms, snorkeling equipment rentals. Easy access into the water

Sapphire Beach-Beatiful view of St John! Drop off can make it difficult to get in and out of the water. Limited facilities available. Some food and drink.

Trunk Bay- Lovely beach. No food or drink availability when I was there.Was not impressed with the snorkeling. Must bring your own chairs Easy access into the water

Emerald Beach-Nice beach, close to Crown Bay where Celebrity is now docking. Food, drink, chair and umbrella rentals available. Not a good snorkeling beach. Snorkeling equipment is available for rent. Easy access into the water.

Secret Harbor- a hotel where you can enjoy the beach. Nice bar restaurant.chair rental available at the scuba shop. You must carry and return chairs to shop. Some shade under the palms. No umbrellas. Nice shade at the bar. nice view and good snorkeling. easy access into the water.

Only time I would recommend using X's excursion to the beach would be going over to St. John as they ferry you directly from the cruise port area to St John.