Who is HAL's new breed of customers?

EDLOS

these threads make me laugh - people like what they like and don't like what they don't and that can the same thing to two different people. I do not want a floating city that takes 1/2 to walk from one end to the other - I am 60 I am not old - but I don't want a loud 20/30 something 'partying' ship. Mock me for that if you like -- I hope HAL doesn't get forced into following the crowd -- some of us don't like the crowd we like the cruise.

I second this!

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Tough thread but we will chime in...responding to the OP's Post. We are pretty typical HAL cruisers in that we are retired Seniors, have a lot of travel experience, and nearly 500 days on HAL. But we are not "loyal" to HAL or any other line (and we have been on 14 lines). We are simply loyal to what we like....and if a cruise line changes in ways we do not like...they do not see us again (or for a very long time). Some of the changes on HAL are to our liking. We love the BB King scene. And unlike most HAL cruisers we will be there (or in quickly disappearing Piano Bar) until near midnight! We hear some complain about BB King..but suspect that most of them are in bed by 9:30 and are not interested in any late night entertainment. I can start out my evening listening to Classical music (before dinner), go to a show, and perhaps end by dancing to Donna Summers music in the BB King venue. In fact my major complaint about the BB King groups is that they do not play a lot of BB King (or other Blues) music.

We think HAL is trying to find a middle ground between an "old folks" line and something that will attract younger (30s, 40s, 50s) cruisers. And playing Glenn Miller music on a keyboard is not going to do it! In fact, I love Glenn Miller music...but without the saxes and brass it is a lost cause. What we have heard in the Ocean Bar (in the past) is more like Roller Skating Rink music then the Big Band stuff they like to play,

So, we are all for change on HAL as long as it brings in additional ideas (like BB King and the improved smoking policy), It would also be nice to see a few more passengers awake after 9:30....but that is another story.

Hank

AC/DC for me! But they are hard to sing along to at a piano bar. ;p Oh, that's right, no more piano bar. :loudcry:

Ha! Whitesnake, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Deep Purple, Moody Blues on one end of the spectrum; Brewer & Shipley, Crosby/Stills/Nash/[Young], Kingston Trio on the other. :-) Definitely showing my age here. :D

I think what the bottom line here is that we would like just a few more options for things such as music venues, maybe a late night venue for some rock n roll music or a late night comic, options. Other cruise lines can do it, HAL can as well. It doesn't even have to be fleet wide, use the Koningsdam as the pilot and maybe that's the only ship in the fleet that it works on, or maybe 2 or 3 other ships it works on and leave the other ships the way they are. Now folks HAL has choices with this idea and hopefully would make a lot of HAL guests happy.

If they can have different itineraries for different ships, why not different entertainment options for different ships!!!

HAL is for people who want some trappings of the "classic" cruising experience of bygone decades;), but cannot afford a true classic cruise like Crystal or Cunard. "Classic Lite" I'd call it...

Actually, I can afford both Crystal and Cunard, but choose not to.

My wife and I just booked are first Holland cruise yesterday on the Koningsdam Oct 29 out of Ft. Lauderdale. Have to try different cruise lines just for the different experiences. Holland should be a good fit for me 60 but my young 56 yr old wife might need a party ship.

I am getting the impression (from your several threads like this one) that you are not accepting any new ideas, or change from HAL. Perhaps another cruise line might suit you better?

The title of this website is CRUISE CRITIC, not HAPPY CRUISES.

CRITIC from the Greek word "Kritikos" Able to Judge........

I think what the bottom line here is that we would like just a few more options for things such as music venues, maybe a late night venue for some rock n roll music or a late night comic, options. Other cruise lines can do it, HAL can as well. It doesn't even have to be fleet wide, use the Koningsdam as the pilot and maybe that's the only ship in the fleet that it works on, or maybe 2 or 3 other ships it works on and leave the other ships the way they are. Now folks HAL has choices with this idea and hopefully would make a lot of HAL guests happy.

If they can have different itineraries for different ships, why not different entertainment options for different ships!!!

I am not cruising for the entertainment for sure -- bet I"m not the only one

I think that it is very possible for HAL to keep the understated elegance (some people refer to this as class) AND provide good IT services, good on board internet, and more dininng options/choice w/extended hours. These are not mutually exclusive features. And they could even consider upgrading the on board entertainment to bring it up just a little. Perhaps to the 70's and 80's. Failing that, just install jukeboxes and be done with it.

I think that it is very possible for HAL to keep the understated elegance (some people refer to this as class) AND provide good IT services, good on board internet, and more dininng options/choice w/extended hours. These are not mutually exclusive features. And they could even consider upgrading the on board entertainment to bring it up just a little. Perhaps to the 70's and 80's. Failing that, just install jukeboxes.

My thoughts, as well. I don't understand why HAL is in the process of making such abrupt changes (deletions) and, apparently on all their ships.

It also occurs to me that many of the posters have not experienced the retrofit changes as exemplified on the Oosterdam, such as the removal of the Oceans Bar and Crows Nest dance floors and Adagio Strings. And, of course, none of us yet have experienced Explorations Central, which will do away with the Crows Nest as we have known it. This may explain some of the confusion and contradictory experiences on board.

I've got to roll my eyes at your last statement. HAL has plenty of classless people, just like any other cruise line. HAL is for people who want some trappings of the "classic" cruising experience of bygone decades;), but cannot afford a true classic cruise like Crystal or Cunard. "Classic Lite" I'd call it...

Every ship has its share of "classless" people - but you were responding to someone who had mentioned that the attraction of HAL was the still-present "touch of class" which is less apparent on most other mass market lines - and was not claiming that HAL was full of classy people.

But on point: what is wrong with there being variety among mass market lines? And Cunard, while more traditional, really is no more affordable than HAL - which is, in fact, more traditional than Crystal.

Is it really so expensive and difficult for HAL to provide fast and cheap Internet?

During one of the ship's officers recent presentations, it was acknowledged, as an aside, they too were frustrated with the internet access. So if it could be better (for whatever reasons) I suppose it would have already happened. Hopefully someone with more technical background can explain what it would take to make it work better.

Is it really so expensive and difficult for HAL to provide fast and cheap Internet?

Price out yacht Internet and let me know.

Chances are that you don't have "fast and cheap Internet" at home. I'll bet dollars to donuts that you have a service contract with cancellation penalties and minimum months.

Well, let's see.

You have to do the Internet portal to the ship via satellite. You have to install new antennae to get the newest (and more expensive) bands - not an inexpensive and trivial thing on a fleet of ships. Once you have the connection from satellite to ship, you enter the same situation as hotels on land. Then, you've got routers and, because of the ship design, lots and lots of access points to try to get the signal everywhere. That one band and it's bandwidth will get used by everyone on the ship, from Operations down to mom and dad's 6 kids each with tablets streaming videos. The type and amount of traffic will determine how "fast" you are. Some hotels offer two tiers of service; one that works fine if you are just doing surfing and email, and a higher-speed if you are and your entourage are into streaming videos and gaming. Split that bandwidth between thousands of people and you will crawl.

Every try satellite wifi on a plane? Not all that fast, either...

I cruise for a lot of reasons, entertainment is one of the reasons -- bet I'm not the only one😊

HAL should not try to be all things to all people. Stick with the cruise lines that are better known for their entertainment. HAL does all right being more low-key on its own. That is the niche many HAL loyalists prefer.

We chose Cunard last year in place of our originally booked Koningsdam cruise partially due to the promenade and library which was exquisite. While we enjoyed the Queen Victoria, we thought the food in the MDR was not as good as HAL. As we were only in a balcony, I did not like the class system with the separate dining room based on what you book.

Also the music was for a much older crowd.

The oldest crowd we saw was in the Caribbean last November on princess. We enjoy the mix of ages and nationalities on HAL in the Mediterranean.

Alaska is up next month!

There is zero room for lounge chairs on the Promenade deck.

I understand that but I find it troublesome that HAL is building larger ships but can't find space for a library or a promenade wide enough for loungers. If this is what the "new breed" wants then I am sad.

I am not cruising for the entertainment for sure -- bet I"m not the only one

You aren't the only one who isn't on the ship for entertainment. We seldom see any of it, but many people we know care deeply about the entertainment offered. A good friend and his partner left HAL (and likely won't return) because of what they felt were poor entertainment options. They are the demographic any cruise line wants. Lots of free time and abundant travel budget. So while you and I may not care, HAL needs to do something to attract and retain people who care about entertainment.