Who is HAL's new breed of customers?

EDLOS

As long as HAL continues to appeal to "older passengers" they will never run out of new recruits. Once they start appealing to another demographic, they will lose their quiet charms for the "older" passenger niche. Every year there are newly emerging "older passengers". Imagine that. Stay strong and go long, HAL.

Well said! We just discovered HAL last August. My wife and I are very happy with the experience after cruising with other lines. I think we are done with cruising on floating resorts. We like the quiet charms, excellent service, Adagio Strings, and the classic traditional experience offered by HAL. It has more of the "feel" we were looking for in a cruise.

and that's why all of the posts are Opinion

Exactly!! I have a lot of cruises on HAL, I remember when they had the violins in the dining room during diner, the flaming desserts table side, wonderful entertainment in the Crowe's Nest with appetizers before dinner, sing alongs in the piano bar, that's what I miss, am I the only one?

Edited by doone

Two things about the Koningsdam have me concerned....the lack of a library and the removal of the deck chairs from the promenade deck.[/quote

Neither of these things remotely bother us. We read on kindles and have found numerous places on board to read. We have never sat on the deck chairs on the promenade deck. We prefer cooler weather cruises such as the Baltic, Canada or Alaska. We use our balcony or the aft deck for viewing. We are excited to do Iceland, Scotland and Norway on the koningsdam next year. We love the bb king shows and have no interest in ballroom dancing. We are in our late 50's and early 60's.

My thoughts, as well. I don't understand why HAL is in the process of making such abrupt changes (deletions) and, apparently on all their ships.

It also occurs to me that many of the posters have not experienced the retrofit changes as exemplified on the Oosterdam, such as the removal of the Oceans Bar and Crows Nest dance floors and Adagio Strings. And, of course, none of us yet have experienced Explorations Central, which will do away with the Crows Nest as we have known it. This may explain some of the confusion and contradictory experiences on board.

I think you are absolutely correct.

Exactly!! I have a lot of cruises on HAL, I remember when they had the violins in the dining room during diner, the flaming desserts table side, wonderful entertainment in the Crowe's Nest with appetizers before dinner, sing alongs in the piano bar, that's what I miss, am I the only one?

Here are my recollections on several of your points:

I always felt badly for the poor string quartet ladies recruited to play in the dining room for a short session during the early dining hour, since they were drowned out by the general chatter and noise dining activity level. Nice touch, but essentially an exercise in futility we always thought. Not sure the performers even enjoyed this. I believe they were trained for classical performance, not to be just background music in a busy venue.

Open flames on any ship are scary for me. Including that over the top period when the Pinnacle would flame entrees. For the safety of all of us, I am not sorry to see the previous flaming desserts go.

Never forget the time on a Greek cruise ship when the flaming Baked Alaska Parade caught the crepe paper decorations on fire. Back in the bad old days when onboard safety was far more of a joke than it is today. Far better if they actually baked the Alaska rather than perfunctorily propane torching it. But that is just me.

There were sing-alongs in the piano bar on our last N-A cruise, just a few months ago. Probably depends on the piano player, as well as the crowd. So that might still be hit or miss, or by request.

Crows Nest still offered hot appetizers before dinner on our last NA cruise too, but there was no noticeable "entertainment". Just lots of anticipatory conversation as the ship pulled away. We always hit the Crows Nest after the muster for our own favorite sail-away special drink at which time we face our very first "dieting" down fall - the hot appetizers and the peanuts ....... right before dinner.

Here are my recollections on several of your points:

I always felt badly for the poor string quartet ladies recruited to play in the dining room for a short session during the early dining hour, since they were drowned out by the general chatter and noise dining activity level. Nice touch, but essentially an exercise in futility we always thought. Not sure the performers even enjoyed this. I believe they were trained for classical performance, not to be just background music in a busy venue.

Open flames on any ship are scary for me. Including that over the top period when the Pinnacle would flame entrees. For the safety of all of us, I am not sorry to see the previous flaming desserts go.

Never forget the time on a Greek cruise ship when the flaming Baked Alaska Parade caught the crepe paper decorations on fire. Back in the bad old days when onboard safety was far more of a joke than it is today. Far better if they actually baked the Alaska rather than perfunctorily propane torching it. But that is just me.

There were sing-alongs in the piano bar on our last N-A cruise, just a few months ago. Probably depends on the piano player, as well as the crowd. So that might still be hit or miss, or by request.

Crows Nest still offered hot appetizers before dinner on our last NA cruise too, but there was no noticeable "entertainment". Just lots of anticipatory conversation as the ship pulled away. We always hit the Crows Nest after the muster for our own favorite sail-away special drink at which time we face our very first "dieting" down fall - the hot appetizers and the peanuts ....... right before dinner.

I am not sure when your last cruise was, but mine was a month ago on the Eurodam. We enjoy drinks before dinner in the Crowe's nest and always enjoyed the music there, but the last few cruises on HAL there was none and no appetizers. My cruise on the NA 3 years ago had the piano bar and the sing along which we thoroughly enjoyed and each night it was packed, however, this year on the Eurodam was the dueling pianos which were less than impressive as there was almost no one there.

Understand about your concern on open flames on a cruise ship and the flaming desserts, but I still enjoyed that along with the violin music from table to table in the MDR.

BB Kings was awesome, very talented group. I just miss some of the old sea day activities, horse racing, ship building, pool games, it was something I enjoyed and I miss, that's all. I started sailing HAL in my 30's or so, I felt there was more to do back then than there was on my Eurodam cruise last month. I don't need or want the glitz on what other lines have don't get me wrong, i love HAL I just miss some of the things they used to do, period.

I always wonder how much of a role and personality the CD plays in the types of daily activities offered.

We have seen the ship building contests on some ships and then never on others. Some ships offer chats or programs with officers in the main show lounge as a bonus. Others, nothing.

On the Amsterdam we had a regular "Good Morning Amsterdam" program with the CD doing broadcast interviews and he was the perfect personality for this. Other CDs would not be up to the task of his always friendly and witty repartee.

Personally I don't care who they're going for. As long as they offer what I want in a cruise, I'm in.

Exactly! Isn't that what any vacation is about? We sail HAL for their itineraries. If we want a "WOW" ship with lots to do, we sail Royal. There's a cruise line that fits everyone's tastes or desires.

Well said! We just discovered HAL last August. My wife and I are very happy with the experience after cruising with other lines. I think we are done with cruising on floating resorts. We like the quiet charms, excellent service, Adagio Strings, and the classic traditional experience offered by HAL. It has more of the "feel" we were looking for in a cruise.

This represents the source of the next generation of HAL cruisers: as people finally "grow up", they finally become less impressed with the "wow factor" people often mention when discussing the mega-ships of NCL and Royal Caribbean, and they start to appreciate the quality of comfort, service, and design on HAL ships -- as well as being among other grown-ups who have gotten past the "wow factor" stage.

I always wonder how much of a role and personality the CD plays in the types of daily activities offered.

Huge, in my opinion. I've only been on 3 HAL cruises, and the one cruise with CD Hamish was very different than the other 2. The cruise with Hamish was a lot more active.

Huge, in my opinion. I've only been on 3 HAL cruises, and the one cruise wit

I am sure theer are some here who remember the Rosario strings. ( They preceded the Adagios.), played aft d inner each evening in Explorers lounge, AND during dinner in the MdR. , were magnificent and most of us fully enjoyed their music. It was a real loss to HAL when they discontinued that lovely tradfition. They always were very talented musicians.

Huge, in my opinion. I've only been on 3 HAL cruises, and the one cruise wit Iam sure ther are some here who remember the Rosario strings. ( They preceded the Adagios.) They played afte r d inner each evening in Explorers lounge, AND duuring dinner in the MdR. , were magnificent and most of us fully enjoyed their music. It was a real loss to HAL when they discontinued that lovely tradfition. They always were very talented musicians.

This represents the source of the next generation of HAL cruisers: as people finally "grow up", they finally become less impressed with the "wow factor" people often mention when discussing the mega-ships of NCL and Royal Caribbean, and they start to appreciate the quality of comfort, service, and design on HAL ships -- as well as being among other grown-ups who have gotten past the "wow factor" stage.

love the class of HAL - not doing floating cities or resorts - sure don't care if other people do - but don't complain about my HAL - Thanks

From what I understand, the situation on the Promenade Deck may not be HAL's fault, and we may have to get used to it on all new ships. Because of the Concordia disaster, all new ships must be built with a different lifeboat configuration. Because of this, the traditional Promenade Deck had to be redesigned to fit this new design. I read an article that the ship building companies had to redesign the lifeboats in order to make it easier for people to get to them and be rescued.

Huge, in my opinion. I've only been on 3 HAL cruises, and the one cruise wit

I am sure theer are some here who remember the Rosario strings. ( They preceded the Adagios.), played aft d inner each evening in Explorers lounge, AND during dinner in the MdR. , were magnificent and most of us fully enjoyed their music. It was a real loss to HAL when they discontinued that lovely tradfition. They always were very talented musicians.

S7S I sure do remember the Rosario Strings, they were awesome................I very much miss their music..............

From what I understand, the situation on the Promenade Deck may not be HAL's fault, and we may have to get used to it on all new ships. Because of the Concordia disaster, all new ships must be built with a different lifeboat configuration. Because of this, the traditional Promenade Deck had to be redesigned to fit this new design. I read an article that the ship building companies had to redesign the lifeboats in order to make it easier for people to get to them and be rescued.

Thank you for this follow-up information. We also learned this smaller promenade space requires musters on these ships to take place indoors, which is not done for the comfort of the passengers as many have appreciated, but because there is now insufficient space outdoors on the narrower promenade decks.

We were also told it is much preferred to have everyone gather outdoors however, to ensure all are exactly where they need to be and no one is still left somewhere inside the ship during a real emergency. We were additionally informed the safety drills were not designed for the passengers ease or comfort, but were absolutely critical crew emergency training first last and always.

Sobering consideration, when we passengers often grumble about this activity and the inconveniences and time it takes. It put the entire experience in a new light, and hat tip to the crew for their disciplined assembly exercise.

According to posters on this board who have been in the business, this is not true. Redesign of access to lifeboats can be done without eliminating a walk-around promenade with sufficient width for lounging and seeing the sea.

It's more a matter of maximizing income-generating space than safety.

According to posters on this board who have been in the business, this is not true. Redesign of access to lifeboats can be done without eliminating a walk-around promenade with sufficient width for lounging and seeing the sea.

It's more a matter of maximizing income-generating space than safety.

Exactly! We are seeing cruises that cost less than we paid in the early 1980's. Somewhere revenue needs to match inflation. In retail every square foot of space in a store has a dollar value and must generate revenue. Wide open Promenades don't produce actual revenue. Appears NCL has added bars and restaurants to the promenade space- very smart move to justify the open space. Likely HAL couldn't do that with the legacy ships due to muster location

love the class of HAL - not doing floating cities or resorts - sure don't care if other people do - but don't complain about my HAL - Thanks

I don't understand your comment. It seems to me that what many of us are complaining about is that HAL is removing many of the gracious traditions that have made HAL what it is. We don't want a "wow" factor that has never previously existed on this line, and we don't want venues redesigned for the primary purpose of selling excursions - or anything else, for that matter.

Exactly! We are seeing cruises that cost less than we paid in the early 1980's. Somewhere revenue needs to match inflation. In retail every square foot of space in a store has a dollar value and must generate revenue. Wide open Promenades don't produce actual revenue. Appears NCL has added bars and restaurants to the promenade space- very smart move to justify the open space. Likely HAL couldn't do that with the legacy ships due to muster location

Do not the NCL specialty dining rooms cost $40-50 a person - that adds at least $100 a day to the initial cruise price, so what is the pricing advantage on NCL over HAL cruises who have a very nice MDR and Lido offerings included?

We have cruised on both. They are very different cruise lines and each have their strengths and weakness.

Like HAL, there are a number of NCL ships that we would never consider ( NCL Star, HAL Veendam, etc) for one reason or another.

But when it comes down to dining we would both very much agree that a meal would pay extra for on NCL is, in our experience, usually far better than what we would get in the MDR. In terms of quality of ingredients (most especially beef), in preparation, and in serving size. Just our experience...not saying this is the definitive answer. As I recall we paid about $25. more per person for a top notch meal. We would not do it every night.

So, if it came down to just food and the total price of NCL, including premium dining was equal to the price of dining in the HAL MDR or LIdo, NCL would win hands down. This is a decison point for us but not an overriding one. We have other preferences that rank ahead of this. But it is not simply the meal itself....it is the option of having several dining venues with different themes. And having them open much later into the evening.

Edited by iancal

We actually found NCL menus to be much improved on our last couple of cruises with them. Never felt a need to dine in specialty restaurants.

On the other hand we don't find their prices much cheaper than HALs.

We would love to cruise with HAL again, we really want to try new ships, but it has abandoned Northeastern markets almost completely.

Do not the NCL specialty dining rooms cost $40-50 a person - that adds at least $100 a day to the initial cruise price, so what is the pricing advantage on NCL over HAL cruises who have a very nice MDR and Lido offerings included?

Don't most NCL cruises now come with a drink package or specialty dining? No need to pay an extra $100 a day. Pick the dining package as your perk.

I don't believe anyone here has suggested HAL turn their ships in to floating amusement parks. Just asking for a little updating of features to go with the next generation of people who want to cruise HAL. More updated music, better access for electronics, things like that. They have to something to get rid of that impression that only people who go in for ballroom and bridge have "fun" on these ships. Keep those little ships that do those long exotic cruises as they are so that the current HAL fans can keep their memories. But, to compete in the 7-day market in the Caribbean, they have to bring more than the old stuff over and over. Those cruises are just commodity items so they have to offer something different. I guess they can bring that "we don't have much if you don't remember the 50s and 60s, but we're quiet and classy" to the table. Just my opinion.

Actually, it is the Caribbean who will have to update their offerings. Crime, over-built, hyper-mall chain brand shopping and canned generic offerings are the biggest problem with Caribbean cruises. Not so sure the ships themselves need to change; it is the destination itself that has so little to offer.

If one wants just sunshine and entertainment then of course the ship will start having to offer more and keep its passengers on board. Maybe it is time for HAL to simply get out of the Caribbean market because it is ridiculous for this brand to destroy itself to compete against those already dedicated to offer whatever this Caribbean "travel" experience has become.