I have been spoiled by O

DOJO466

We have 15 O cruises under our belt and certainly hope for many more.

Unfortunately for us my 45th class reunion will be on NCL Boston to Bermuda and return. That is all well and good, however while doing my research I have found that we will have to pay for so many things we take for granted on O, ie water, juice, cappuccinos, et al. We have to pre book entertainment, not really a biggie for us, but still. We have to pay extra for specialty venues and the list goes on. This will be our first "mass cruise line" and to be honest we are scared

https://adclick.g.doubleclick.net/aclk?sa=l&ai=CXgx46bv4WIbvI8_AngTfv68Yh6HzlkSP8ev3vQLAjbcBEAEgpanaKWDJ9tKKsKTsD6AB4cX7uQPIAQmoAwHIA8IEqgSUAk_Q_TLkyU6ih9kA_zW40Qn0j2EKh94tlyMYuv0ag_SFQyaXfhjQ7O1ffhbp3hqcFZxVlpCEC5_V8DxhVKaf7ytVvS5MMmQWjlP30mXEigD_92GCcbmzSJBw8SuC1ZMaXo0adwXrNRRrcxOqctOTuTqOAYuoJ3w09nRbe2mz8nr--8VDX9xjyhq4_375NWS14ZvrIwiOcJMR80Mz9hs-8wk1PaogKRoFBQzipUvLJP5iHOR6z8Vr0kt0dMYynHyfXsgaRPz_G3S9JOMQlEOR5Gn1CLlvKdFwmHe399jIAekNMDe4OoEvZ5JY3fRSsABJkS9vLGWpEFbf7PwkmVUaW8S3UoXNPFtNKt5m0lAoJVqT9WOwFpAGAaAGLtgGBIAHh7qERpgHA6gHpr4b2AcA0ggFCIBhEAE&num=1&cid=CAASEuRo51kLIHou2tCdDU0sVWOxrA&sig=AOD64_2Vj6P1CrQ-P4OdnbU7vZSo6EXjhg&client=ca-mb-app-pub-0054876817521062&adurl=http://materaroofinginc.com

Unfortunately for us my 45th class reunion will be on NCL Boston to Bermuda and return. That is all well and good, however while doing my research I have found that we will have to pay for so many things we take for granted on O, ie water, juice, cappuccinos, et al. We have to pre book entertainment, not really a biggie for us, but still. We have to pay extra for specialty venues and the list goes on. This will be our first "mass cruise line" and to be honest we are scared

https://adclick.g.doubleclick.net/aclk?sa=l&ai=CXgx46bv4WIbvI8_AngTfv68Yh6HzlkSP8ev3vQLAjbcBEAEgpanaKWDJ9tKKsKTsD6AB4cX7uQPIAQmoAwHIA8IEqgSUAk_Q_TLkyU6ih9kA_zW40Qn0j2EKh94tlyMYuv0ag_SFQyaXfhjQ7O1ffhbp3hqcFZxVlpCEC5_V8DxhVKaf7ytVvS5MMmQWjlP30mXEigD_92GCcbmzSJBw8SuC1ZMaXo0adwXrNRRrcxOqctOTuTqOAYuoJ3w09nRbe2mz8nr--8VDX9xjyhq4_375NWS14ZvrIwiOcJMR80Mz9hs-8wk1PaogKRoFBQzipUvLJP5iHOR6z8Vr0kt0dMYynHyfXsgaRPz_G3S9JOMQlEOR5Gn1CLlvKdFwmHe399jIAekNMDe4OoEvZ5JY3fRSsABJkS9vLGWpEFbf7PwkmVUaW8S3UoXNPFtNKt5m0lAoJVqT9WOwFpAGAaAGLtgGBIAHh7qERpgHA6gHpr4b2AcA0ggFCIBhEAE&num=1&cid=CAASEuRo51kLIHou2tCdDU0sVWOxrA&sig=AOD64_2Vj6P1CrQ-P4OdnbU7vZSo6EXjhg&client=ca-mb-app-pub-0054876817521062&adurl=http://materaroofinginc.com

If it will make you unhappy don't go. To compare NCL to Oceania is ridiculous, you will be so disappointed.

By the way, what NCL ship is going out of Boston?.

If it will make you unhappy don't go. To compare NCL to Oceania is ridiculous, you will be so disappointed.

By the way, what NCL ship is going out of Boston?.

The Dawn

I understand your point. I would go. Sure O dosnt fit into everyones budget. Take the opportunity to enjoy the company of your fellow class mates. I wouldn't let NCL get in your way

Deb,

I am not sure if the Dawn has Haven cabins but if they do, book there. Much better experience that way; not Oceania but OK.

Go with the attitude to have a good time and you will but DO NOT compare with O all the time - that is a sure way to be disappointed.

Bon voyage,

Paul

we are long-time O cruisers and at Christmas were part of a family reunion on Pride of America touring the Hawaiian Islands.

As has already been suggested, concentrate on those you are cruising with, not the cruise. We had a wonderful time with our multi-generational family and being in the Islands.

The restaurants do not serve O's food but we didn't expect it to, the entertainment was wonderful on Pride of America--O, not so much. The cabins were fine, the crew was almost as great as O's, and the ship was lovely.

You'll have a great time with your friends, catching up, and laughing while reminiscing. Heck, there may even be times you don't remember what you ate because you were having so much fun! Why would you stay home?

Having sailed both Norwegian Dawn and Oceania's Marina within the year, I thought I'd pop in and share some insights. Dawn is an older ship with some flaws, but I found it to be quite fun with a good vibe. If you can afford a suite that offers the VIP perks, you can minimize some of the big-ship hassles with a concierge to help you make reservations, reserved seating in the theater, priority tendering/debarkation and an exclusive venue for breakfast and lunch (so you can avoid the crowds). You can pay for a beverage package (or get one as part of a perk promotion) to avoid the drink nickel-and-diming. I think they have restaurant packages as well for the specialty restaurants, many of which are quite good. I enjoyed the Italian and Mexican venues on our last cruise.

And as everyone has already said, it's often the people that make the cruise. And if you go in not expecting much from the ship, you might be pleasantly surprised!

There's some misinformation here.

There's no charge for juice at breakfast. There is a charge for fresh-squeezed juice.

You do not have to book entertainment in advance on the Dawn. In fact there's no entertainment that can be booked in advance on the Dawn. You just go to the shows at the scheduled times, just as on Oceania. It's only the larger NCL ships such as Breakaway that require reservations for some of the entertainment offerings. You have a greater variety of entertainment on NCL and generally it's of higher quality than Oceania's entertainment.

NCL has a "Free at Sea" promotion, which depending on the cabin category you book, gives you the choice of several benefits that would otherwise be extra charge, including free specialty dining, free beverage package that includes alcoholic beverages as well as soda, free wifi, and shore excursion credits. Depending on your cabin you are eligible for one, up to getting all offers included if you book a suite. Plus if you book a suite you also get to dine at a private breakfast and lunch venue.

There's nothing to be concerned about...we often cruise on NCL and have also cruised on Oceania, with upcoming cruises booked on each. The food is better on Oceania, but I've never starved on NCL, and if you eat in the specialty restaurants the food is better than in the main dining room.

Remember that in general NCL's base per diem fare is much lower than Oceania's on a like cabin category to like cabin category basis., so if you do have to pay extra for something on NCL, your bottom line total at the end of the cruise may still be less because the base is lower.

Edited by njhorseman

Deb,

I am not sure if the Dawn has Haven cabins but if they do, book there. Much better experience that way; not Oceania but OK.

Go with the attitude to have a good time and you will but DO NOT compare with O all the time - that is a sure way to be disappointed.

Bon voyage,

Paul

There's no Haven on the Dawn, but there are suites that provide similar benefits minus the private Haven courtyard/pool area.

We sailed with most of massmarket lines and NCL is not even the best in this group. You'll get much more refined experience on Celebrity or Princess, although you will have to pay for many things in addition (price wise there is a huge difference too)

However we go on NCL cruises with open mind, including our cruise on Dawn to Bermuda out of Boston, and we do have fun.

And Bermuda is so stunningly beautiful that you will be compensated for any downsides you might experience.

NCL has very nice entertainment, nice service and overall atmosphere. Plus you will be with your friends.

Enjoy!

We sailed with most of massmarket lines and NCL is not even the best in this group. You'll get much more refined experience on Celebrity or Princess, although you will have to pay for many things in addition (price wise there is a huge difference too)

However we go on NCL cruises with open mind, including our cruise on Dawn to Bermuda out of Boston, and we do have fun.

And Bermuda is so stunningly beautiful that you will be compensated for any downsides you might experience.

NCL has very nice entertainment, nice service and overall atmosphere. Plus you will be with your friends.

Enjoy!

Bermuda? Beautiful? Really?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bermuda? Beautiful? Really?

Yes, really. We've been regular vacationers there for 30 years. It's not just a matter of physical beauty, although the South Shore beaches such as Horseshoe Bay are comparable to the best beaches anywhere. The atmosphere on the island is relaxing, although admittedly not as much as it was years ago. There's a unique vibe mixture of old school British with Caribbean-type cultures.

Yes, really. We've been regular vacationers there for 30 years. It's not just a matter of physical beauty, although the South Shore beaches such as Horseshoe Bay are comparable to the best beaches anywhere. The atmosphere on the island is relaxing, although admittedly not as much as it was years ago. There's a unique vibe mixture of old school British with Caribbean-type cultures.

I am with you. We are there in September.

Have you ever been to Bermuda?

Regatta%202014%20Bermuda%20325_zpszggbfchp.jpg

Regatta%202014%20Bermuda%20523_zpspfeqseyy.jpg

USA's 2017 America's Cup entry practicing.

bermuda%2017%20412_zps9x0n2iev.jpg

Yes - recently visited for the first time. Even did a private all day tour with Heidi Cowen (granddaughter of their last lighthouse keeper). Other than the AC-45's and fresh fish fillets on raisin bread, I was not impressed with much beyond a couple of dime-a-dozen beaches.

IMO, there are so many beautiful beaches in the world, that an island (any island) really needs something else - unique or unusual to make long expensive international flights and/or cruise fares worth it.

For me, it would have to be an island like Kauai with its NaPali coast and a hard to top rich cultural tapestry.

I'm not saying that Bermuda wouldn't "float some folks' boats." But, "stunningly beautiful"? Really?

I understand your point. I would go. Sure O dosnt fit into everyones budget. Take the opportunity to enjoy the company of your fellow class mates. I wouldn't let NCL get in your way

That was the attitude of my wife who took a girls cruise on Carnival. How bad could it be.. I told her it would be an experience to measure O with.;p

A week later a shaken, gaunt wife returned, describing the nickel dime, her fellow passengers and having to dodge people vomiting in the bar,...crowds, pushing swearing,....a circus of humanity, not all fun.:rolleyes:

..The atmosphere did very much get in the way of enjoyment... no question after2 days of a 7 day cruise she wanted off the ship .... and she is pretty easy going !

What was funny is that it cost, with everything 75% as much per day as O. A good experience to learn from.

Maybe book the cruise but get off before the cruise ends ASAP., definitely dont try to stick it out,

That was the attitude of my wife who took a girls cruise on Carnival. How bad could it be.. I told her it would be an experience to measure O with.;p

A week later a shaken, gaunt wife returned, describing the nickel dime, her fellow passengers and having to dodge people vomiting in the bar,...crowds, pushing swearing,....a circus of humanity, not all fun.:rolleyes:

..The atmosphere did very much get in the way of enjoyment... no question after2 days of a 7 day cruise she wanted off the ship .... and she is pretty easy going !

What was funny is that it cost, with everything 75% as much per day as O. A good experience to learn from.

Maybe book the cruise but get off before the cruise ends ASAP., definitely dont try to stick it out,

There is nothing to compare to Carnival.. NCL twice as good and most of the other mass market ships are better. Carnival is the bottom of the barrel. Shocked coming from O anyone even would want to try it. A good lesson to learn for all of us who read these boards. Glad she is back safe and sound.

And comparing Bermuda to Nassau.... Well it was different Bermuda then.

People pay crazy money to vacation there.

What is a point to compare Bermuda to Hawaii? There are better places than Hawaii, but people cruise there anyway.

Bermuda is beautiful, cultural, with nice architecture, some history and great beaches. We cruised to many destinations, but it is one of most enjoyable one. Sailed to Bermuda as a destination two times and three times stopped there for a day.

Would love to repeat. :)

Edited by Tatka

I agree. Carnival is the only line we would never sail again.

From what I have seen and read I never want to make it a first time. I sometimes am good at taking advise. No good words about them.

From what I have seen and read I never want to make it a first time. I sometimes am good at taking advise. No good words about them.

Most of the contemporary cruise company consortia and/or parent companies have what could be categorized as good/better/best entries in the marketplace.

What's interesting however is that so many people never do the math that would demonstrate that better food and service may not be out of their reach.

Most of the contemporary cruise company consortia and/or parent companies have what could be categorized as good/better/best entries in the marketplace.

What's interesting however is that so many people never do the math that would demonstrate that better food and service may not be out of their reach.

True. Need to do our homework. Some of the better cruise lines also have an off season where we can get better pricing if we are willing to adjust our dates. Used to go to some of the best hotels in the Carib. in Oct, Nov thru about Dec 15th for close to half price. Same everything except we had to be able to adjust when we go. Could not afford to go in high season but still had a great time.