I have been spoiled by O

DOJO466

True. Need to do our homework. Some of the better cruise lines also have an off season where we can get better pricing if we are willing to adjust our dates. Used to go to some of the best hotels in the Carib. in Oct, Nov thru about Dec 15th for close to half price. Same everything except we had to be able to adjust when we go. Could not afford to go in high season but still had a great time.

Check out the jetsetter app. Some excellent buys in flash sales (hotels primarily).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's some misinformation here.

There's no charge for juice at breakfast. There is a charge for fresh-squeezed juice.

You do not have to book entertainment in advance on the Dawn. In fact there's no entertainment that can be booked in advance on the Dawn. You just go to the shows at the scheduled times, just as on Oceania. It's only the larger NCL ships such as Breakaway that require reservations for some of the entertainment offerings. You have a greater variety of entertainment on NCL and generally it's of higher quality than Oceania's entertainment.

NCL has a "Free at Sea" promotion, which depending on the cabin category you book, gives you the choice of several benefits that would otherwise be extra charge, including free specialty dining, free beverage package that includes alcoholic beverages as well as soda, free wifi, and shore excursion credits. Depending on your cabin you are eligible for one, up to getting all offers included if you book a suite. Plus if you book a suite you also get to dine at a private breakfast and lunch venue.

There's nothing to be concerned about...we often cruise on NCL and have also cruised on Oceania, with upcoming cruises booked on each. The food is better on Oceania, but I've never starved on NCL, and if you eat in the specialty restaurants the food is better than in the main dining room.

Remember that in general NCL's base per diem fare is much lower than Oceania's on a like cabin category to like cabin category basis., so if you do have to pay extra for something on NCL, your bottom line total at the end of the cruise may still be less because the base is lower.

I recently booked an NCL cruise for around the horn in South America. While we have sailed with NCL before, it's been a while, because O is just a better fit for us (it's strong in the areas we care about and it's weak areas aren't too important to us on port intensive cruises (entertainment). But, O doesn't do the Santiago to BA in the month we want...so we booked what looks like a great deal on the Sun for a forward suite. The ship has two things that are important to us, a forward lounge for viewing and an outdoor buffet venue.

Since it's been a while since our last NCL cruise I've spent some time on that board trying to learn the differences so that our expectations match the product.

We're in a suite, but even with the drink package, canned sodas (or fizzy water) from the minibar is a charge correct? And, bottled water outside the room is a charge, correct? Bringing some bottles of wine for consumption in the room will incur a small corkage, correct? We have OBC that will cover these minor differences.

Butlers are not included in the gratuity scheme, so tips are bigger than they might be on O (I'm still trying to get my head around the $20 pp per day suggested on the board). Also, the Butlers don't do the same concierge duties that they do upon O, so the concierge must also be tipped (board suggested $10 pp per day). But, as a wrinkle, NCL non refundable OBC can be given to these individuals for tips (on O that wouldn't be allowed.) Am I on the right track with these differences?

If you can think of any other differences (or correct where I may have misread something on the board), I'd greatly appreciate it...the best surprise is no surprise.

I can't believe this thread. We are OS on Oceania, Master Suite on Regent and CP or PS on Crystal. We have been on Norwegian MANY times. Never in The Haven, but always in the top suite. In MANY cases we had many more VIP perks than Oceania. We do like Norwegian in many ways, but maybe that is because we are down to earth folks. Please enjoy your cruise and purchase the liquor package or anything to make it more all inclusive. OMG.

I can't believe this thread. We are OS on Oceania, Master Suite on Regent and CP or PS on Crystal. We have been on Norwegian MANY times. Never in The Haven, but always in the top suite. In MANY cases we had many more VIP perks than Oceania. We do like Norwegian in many ways, but maybe that is because we are down to earth folks. Please enjoy your cruise and purchase the liquor package or anything to make it more all inclusive. OMG.

"Down to earth folks" who will not stay below OS, MS, CP or PS or other top suites?

OK. Where do the "not down to earth folks" stay?

"Down to earth folks" who will not stay below OS, MS, CP or PS or other top suites?

crew4.jpg

Chained to their oars, just as the good Lord ordained.....

6a0120a92e343a970b0163034ff80b970d-800wi.jpg?w=576&h=300&crop=1

Perty near broke the speed record last month- :o

Deb...I think you will have a great time with your class-mates!!!...And how cool to have a reunion on a cruise?

I just had my 50th HS reunion last October...and TBH...it was hard for some of my school-mates to pay $100 pp for the dinner/dance etc....how lucky that your school mates can "fund" a cruise...go...enjoy...and TBH...be thankful you can...life is so short...don't we know that?? LuAnn

I recently booked an NCL cruise for around the horn in South America. While we have sailed with NCL before, it's been a while, because O is just a better fit for us (it's strong in the areas we care about and it's weak areas aren't too important to us on port intensive cruises (entertainment). But, O doesn't do the Santiago to BA in the month we want...so we booked what looks like a great deal on the Sun for a forward suite. The ship has two things that are important to us, a forward lounge for viewing and an outdoor buffet venue.

Since it's been a while since our last NCL cruise I've spent some time on that board trying to learn the differences so that our expectations match the product.

We're in a suite, but even with the drink package, canned sodas (or fizzy water) from the minibar is a charge correct? And, bottled water outside the room is a charge, correct? Bringing some bottles of wine for consumption in the room will incur a small corkage, correct? We have OBC that will cover these minor differences.

The drink package does not cover any of the items in your mini bar. NCL charges a "corkage" fee of $15 for each 750ml bottle of wine brought on board regardless of where you consume it.

Butlers are not included in the gratuity scheme, so tips are bigger than they might be on O (I'm still trying to get my head around the $20 pp per day suggested on the board). Also, the Butlers don't do the same concierge duties that they do upon O, so the concierge must also be tipped (board suggested $10 pp per day). But, as a wrinkle, NCL non refundable OBC can be given to these individuals for tips (on O that wouldn't be allowed.) Am I on the right track with these differences?

I've never tipped a butler or concierge anywhere near that amount and I often shake my head when I read what some people tip. Our base tip to each of the butler and concierge is $50 ($25 per passenger) for a seven night cruise. We almost never ask for any service from them beyond what they provide as part of their basic services provided to all suite passengers. If I were to have them provide additional services, such as the butler providing room service (something we virtually never get) I would increase the tip. You can use nonrefundable OBC for these tips, and we often do. Go to guest services and have them complete a gratuity voucher for you. Sometimes you'll run into someone at the desk that doesn't know you can charge these gratuities to your on board account and if that happens you have to ask for the intervention of a supervisor.

If you can think of any other differences (or correct where I may have misread something on the board), I'd greatly appreciate it...the best surprise is no surprise.

See my answers above, in red .

Note: When you charge the butler and concierge tips to your on board account you don't have to specify that they are to be charged against any nonrefundable OBC you may have. They will automatically be deducted from any available nonrefundable OBC just as any on board purchase is.

Edited by njhorseman

See my answers above, in red .

Note: When you charge the butler and concierge tips to your on board account you don't have to specify that they are to be charged against any nonrefundable OBC you may have. They will automatically be deducted from any available nonrefundable OBC just as any on board purchase is.

Thanks Horseman. It appears the NCL board led me astray on the tipping....we usually have the same base on O as you cited and would increase it if we ever dined in or such.

I think there might be another difference with OBC and daily gratuities. On O, I believe any OBC can be used against the daily charge, but on NCL, only refundable OBC can be used.

Thanks Horseman. It appears the NCL board led me astray on the tipping....we usually have the same base on O as you cited and would increase it if we ever dined in or such.

I think there might be another difference with OBC and daily gratuities. On O, I believe any OBC can be used against the daily charge, but on NCL, only refundable OBC can be used.

Correct...on NCL only refundable OBC can be used toward the daily service charge. I can't speak to O's rules because the two times we've booked O we received prepaid gratuities (service charges) through the travel agency.

My ship docks at st george. Is the first photo (of the beach) located nearby?

No, that is between Hamilton and the Royal Dockyards area. It's the opposite end of the island. I hear there is a nice beach area around the St George area.

I know what you mean. Just booked a cruise on HAL for January, Singapore to Hong Kong - price for an Ocean view, air included, for 2 people is $4,742. The exact same O cruise at the same time would be $14,598. I love O - I am booked with them for a Baltic cruise in September - and wish I could cruise on them exclusively but my travel funds won't allow it. I know the product O offers is much better but .... at least I will see the same places! My TA told me it's like comparing apples and oranges and in some ways she is right - but I just can't justify (or afford) an additional $10K.

I take his post to mean that he's suggesting we not be "cruiseline snobs." I've often sensed that undertone when reading posts on many of the luxury cruiseline boards. As I've gotten older, and financially better off, I've tried more expensive cruiselines as well as more expensive cabins. But that doesn't mean that someone can't have a fabulous vacation on Carnival or NCL; I had 3 wonderful cruises on Carnival. As a matter of fact, I've had a fantastic time on every single vacation I've ever taken! I think I'm easy to please, but mainly I feel so grateful to just have the opportunity to travel, whether on a mass market ship or a luxury one. Like the poster above said, no matter which ship you travel on, you still see the same sights.

After I retire I might not be able to afford sailing on expensive cruiselines and have to return to going on short cruises to the Caribbean on a mass market ship. But that will be alot better than not traveling at all. :halo:

Go-Bucks, you remind me of a friend of mine who is now 73 and only recently started traveling on her own. Every trip she takes is the best she ever took. She always has a wonderful time and it's because of her attitude. She can't afford Oceania, especially as a single traveler, so she's used cruise lines that I wouldn't consider. (Color me a snob, it's partly true.)

But it's her attitude that is wonderful. For her, the glass is always half full. Never half empty.

I like to think that we make lemonade out of lemons -- we have indeed in the past. But we can see the downsides, even on Oceania. That doesn't often happen, but it has.

We are retired and still able to afford suites on Oceania ... but we aren't traveling as often as we once did!

Yes, it is often said that people who like the lower cabins say one reason is that they can travel more frequently. That's the choice they make. For us, we prefer more spacious accommodations. But that's our right as well. (And as I've said more than once here, once you are "gifted" with a top suite it gets harder and harder to go back to the lower rooms ...)

Our first (and so far last) Alaska cruise was on Princess in a bunk bed porthole cabin. Our first Renaissance cruise was in a Deck 7 veranda cabin (what Oceania labels as an "A" cabin). Our next two cruises will be in Oceania suites ...

We probably won't be doing as much cruising after next year because DH has serious enough vision problems that it's no longer fun for him ... but we shall see.

And back to your first point, we did a TA on NCL in 2010 and we enjoyed it. It wasn't to be compared to what we had on Oceania, but it was a pleasant cruise. (Yes, we were in a mini-suite so we had benefits that not all passengers on NCL have.)

Mura

Go-Bucks, you remind me of a friend of mine who is now 73 and only recently started traveling on her own. Every trip she takes is the best she ever took. She always has a wonderful time and it's because of her attitude. She can't afford Oceania, especially as a single traveler, so she's used cruise lines that I wouldn't consider. (Color me a snob, it's partly true.)

But it's her attitude that is wonderful. For her, the glass is always half full. Never half empty.

I like to think that we make lemonade out of lemons -- we have indeed in the past. But we can see the downsides, even on Oceania. That doesn't often happen, but it has.

We are retired and still able to afford suites on Oceania ... but we aren't traveling as often as we once did!

Yes, it is often said that people who like the lower cabins say one reason is that they can travel more frequently. That's the choice they make. For us, we prefer more spacious accommodations. But that's our right as well. (And as I've said more than once here, once you are "gifted" with a top suite it gets harder and harder to go back to the lower rooms ...)

Our first (and so far last) Alaska cruise was on Princess in a bunk bed porthole cabin. Our first Renaissance cruise was in a Deck 7 veranda cabin (what Oceania labels as an "A" cabin). Our next two cruises will be in Oceania suites ...

We probably won't be doing as much cruising after next year because DH has serious enough vision problems that it's no longer fun for him ... but we shall see.

And back to your first point, we did a TA on NCL in 2010 and we enjoyed it. It wasn't to be compared to what we had on Oceania, but it was a pleasant cruise. (Yes, we were in a mini-suite so we had benefits that not all passengers on NCL have.)

Mura

Not to nit pick, but a mini suite on NCL doesn't have special benefits not afforded to other passengers (other than at one time being allowed to eat in a different dining room at breakfast, but that didn't last very long). A mini suite is really just a slightly larger, deluxe balcony cabin. Only full suites have special benefits.

Okay, it was not actually a mini-suite. It was the Family Penthouse -- two bedrooms, two baths with a nice sized living room and a miniscule veranda. About 400 sf. The main bed/bath were large, the smaller bed/bath were clearly intended for children ... hence, the family designation. I HAD specified this in my earlier post but then decided that it was too much information so I cut it out.

We did have the private dining room for breakfast and lunch, concierge services, etc. Today we'd also have the liquor and private dining room privileges at no cost as well (although we did not in 2010). I say that because we had the same cabin booked for a cruise in September 2015 which is the one we had to cancel at the last minute, and that included liquor, specialty restaurants, etc., at no extra charge.

For the record, on that cruise we did like the buffet which had LOTS of choices, especially if you like asian and indian dishes. The Executive Chef was Indian ... There were fresh pastas very night.

Anyway, the Family PH does appear to be considered a real suite, although it definitely is not a Haven suite.

Mura

Yes, the family penthouse is a "full suite". On the newer NCL ships...the Epic and newer, all suites are Haven suites even if they are not physically located in the Haven. On the Jewel-class ships, Jewel, Gem, Jade and Pearl, some suites are Haven and some not, the only major difference being that the non-Haven suites do not have access to the Haven courtyard and pool. There is no Haven on ships older than the Jewel, but there are (full) suites.

Anyway, the Family PH does appear to be considered a real suite, although it definitely is not a Haven suite.

The friend I travel with just got back from an NCL cruise with her daughter and granddaughter in a 2 bdrm. Family PH suite. She was a bit skeptical about sailing on NCL (she's a bit of a cruise snob - haha), but said she really had a fantastic time and that the suite was gorgeous. They had a package deal where they ate in specialty restaurants every night, so she didn't experience the MDR food (which she heard was quite mediocre, but doesn't personally know). She said she would sail on them again if in a suite.

And that is our opinion as well. For the right itinerary -- or our TA setting up a group sail -- we'd do it again.

Not on the big ships, though! Even the 2300 passenger GEM had problems getting people off for tours or final exit ...

Mura

And that is our opinion as well. For the right itinerary -- or our TA setting up a group sail -- we'd do it again.

Not on the big ships, though! Even the 2300 passenger GEM had problems getting people off for tours or final exit ...

Mura

Funny how people can look at things in the opposite way. Our conclusion is that we will only cruise on Oceania for the right itinerary...one that I can't experience on a mass market line like NCL or Celebrity. And after cruises on the "R" ships on both Azamara and Oceania, I think we'd only book the "large" (admittedly not really large) "O" ships. In fact we did book a 36 night itinerary on Marina that I'm not sure we would have booked if it was on an "R" ship. We'll continue to use the mass market for our "ordinary" cruises, like our annual NY - Bermuda sailing, or for Caribbean cruises in the winter.