Muster Station Bracelets: Not Just for Kids

Just off the Nieuw Amsterdam sailing of the Panama Canal. Will do a separate post with my perspectives as someone who is Deaf and has vision issues late on.

But for this one, I'd like to discuss the bracelets that kids under the age of 12 are required to wear. They inform crew of their muster station as well as the color indicating which side of the ship it is on.

Being Deaf, and looking for ways to expedite communication, I asked for one during the drill. The crew and an officer who listened to my rationale and thought it was genius - what if I didn't have my key card nor could access the cabin with the specially marked lifejacket? Trying to tell the crew where I should be would have used up valuable time that could have been spent elsewhere or helping someone else.

Wearing a bracelet removes that concern - and believe me, EVERY crew or staff who saw it, mentally checked the info. My aunt (who is hearing) remarked during one dinner after a waitstaff noticed it, "Well now we all know who will be first rescued!"

So with that experience, I would encourage anyone who might have a communication barrier (deafness, autism, etc) to request for a bracelet.

What are your thoughts on this?

And yes, I did get the nudges about if I should be at club HAL but that was also suggestive of my age (newly 30s) when the majority of the passengers were double my age. :)

What a wonderful idea; I'm surprised it hasn't been offered to people with hearing or sight loss, as it certainly makes a lot of sense. I know a friend of mine wouldn't consider wearing one because of vanity (even though she's deaf as a post), but it would be nice to have the option.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Thanks for chiming in with your agreement - I have included that suggestion in thr pages-long email with feedback to HAL.

It came to me as I watched the crew help the passengers using wheelchairs or scooters and realized that deafness (and other disabilties and communication disorders) was an invisible disability unlike those with visible disabilities.

(Like trying to pinpoint a wizard in a sea of Muggles - you don't know a person is deaf until they sign or talk with an accent or don't follow oral directions akin to someone whipping out a wand and doing magic :)

Just off the Nieuw Amsterdam sailing of the Panama Canal. Will do a separate post with my perspectives as someone who is Deaf and has vision issues late on.

But for this one, I'd like to discuss the bracelets that kids under the age of 12 are required to wear. They inform crew of their muster station as well as the color indicating which side of the ship it is on.

Being Deaf, and looking for ways to expedite communication, I asked for one during the drill. The crew and an officer who listened to my rationale and thought it was genius - what if I didn't have my key card nor could access the cabin with the specially marked lifejacket? Trying to tell the crew where I should be would have used up valuable time that could have been spent elsewhere or helping someone else.

Wearing a bracelet removes that concern - and believe me, EVERY crew or staff who saw it, mentally checked the info. My aunt (who is hearing) remarked during one dinner after a waitstaff noticed it, "Well now we all know who will be first rescued!"

So with that experience, I would encourage anyone who might have a communication barrier (deafness, autism, etc) to request for a bracelet.

And yes, I did get the nudges about if I should be at club HAL but that was also suggestive of my age (newly 30s) when the majority of the passengers were double my age. :)

Excellent idea!

I too think it's an ingenious idea, not only for those who are deaf but also for those who have memory loss!! :cool:

You should send your idea to "HAL" "Hints for Heloise" and also the Travel editors of NY Times, Your own local Newspaper & to Cruise Critic Management..

Maybe other cruise lines will pick up the idea!:cool:

I do love this idea. I might suggest it for my Father in law. He is hearing impaired and also has early onset dementia. We are with him most of the time but you never know when an emergency will happen. We want to keep him cruising as long as possible.

Absolutely wonderful idea. I have a son-in-law and a grandson who are deaf, and a grandson hard of hearing. Although other family members are hearing, a bracelet would, as you say, save valuable time in event of an emergency. This would be a big plus.

That is a wonderful idea!

After my cruise last year I suggested in the survey that there be a barcode included on the children's bracelets indicating the parents names and cabin number. The reason was that one evening I exited the elevator to find a small girl, around 4, standing there crying while three older adults stood about four feet away looking just about as terrified. I knelt down next to her and asked her name. Checked the bracelet, which only contained the muster station number. Then I asked what her mother's name was. Her response was "Mama". About this time a steward came along and I turned her over to him but how he would have gotten anymore information is a mystery.

This is a very good idea for most passengers with hearing or cognitive conditions. However, if HAL were to implement this, would it be mandatory or voluntary? If it's mandatory, there may be a few who don't want to be singled out by having to wear a bracelet. Guess HAL could make a person sign a waiver if the person refuses to wear one.

I do love this idea. I might suggest it for my Father in law. He is hearing impaired and also has early onset dementia. We are with him most of the time but you never know when an emergency will happen. We want to keep him cruising as long as possible.

I also would like to keep my DH cruising as long as possible.. I had a silver ID bracelet made up for DH & had his list of his medications put on the back of the bracelet w/dosage..

However, I can't get him to wear it..When we cruise again I'll bring it along & see if he will wear it next time.. If I leave the ship with my Friend, her husband always stays on board with DH as he has trouble walking.. But when DH has to go back to our cabin for a pit stop, we worry that he won't find us or our Friends DH..So far it has not been a problem, but it may be in the future..

This is a very good idea for most passengers with hearing or cognitive conditions. However, if HAL were to implement this, would it be mandatory or voluntary? If it's mandatory, there may be a few who don't want to be singled out by having to wear a bracelet. Guess HAL could make a person sign a waiver if the person refuses to wear one.

Agree, see above...I might even ask to have one made up for me in order to get DH to wear one.. :cool:

So love this idea! My little sister has Down syndrome and is on the Autistic spectrum and is largely non-verbal. We have lots of cruising strategies for her but this particular idea is one we'd never thought of. Definitely using this the next time we cruise!

Sometimes check in runs out of the brackets of the required number/colour. Not an issue as the front desk aboard has some extra. So you need to attend the front desk before departure.

Something most may not be aware of that may also be helpful for some cruisers. Children's key cards are linked to those responsible for them. If a child tries to scan their key to get off at a port ahead of the adult an alarm sounds. This happened in one port where we had a shore excursion and there was quite a press of passengers all wanting to leave the ship at the same time. Somehow DS got about 10 people ahead of me. I heard the alarm, saw DS, and saw the security officer look up. I raised my hand and DS had to wait behind the officer until I could scan my card.

I wonder if the same system could be requested for those individuals who have memory issues. We didn't know this feature until that point and we had cruised HAL a number of times before.

Sometimes check in runs out of the brackets of the required number/colour. Not an issue as the front desk aboard has some extra. So you need to attend the front desk before departure.

Something most may not be aware of that may also be helpful for some cruisers. Children's key cards are linked to those responsible for them. If a child tries to scan their key to get off at a port ahead of the adult an alarm sounds. This happened in one port where we had a shore excursion and there was quite a press of passengers all wanting to leave the ship at the same time. Somehow DS got about 10 people ahead of me. I heard the alarm, saw DS, and saw the security officer look up. I raised my hand and DS had to wait behind the officer until I could scan my card.

I wonder if the same system could be requested for those individuals who have memory issues. We didn't know this feature until that point and we had cruised HAL a number of times before.

We don't travel with kids, so I wasn't aware of the kid-block function at the gangway. It's nice to know that a kid can't go off on an "adventure" on his/her own. It would be a good thing for adults who need supervision. Some dementia patients tend to wander off.

We don't travel with kids, so I wasn't aware of the kid-block function at the gangway. It's nice to know that a kid can't go off on an "adventure" on his/her own. It would be a good thing for adults who need supervision. Some dementia patients tend to wander off.

I don't travel with children bu t have been aware of the alarm system and think it excellent. i also agree, if a family member would like that precaution taken for an incompenet adult, they should request it

Someone please correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe, the system provides for the child to only be permitted off the ship witha dults named in advance which shows on the screen security offficers on the gangway can view. to protect the child from leaving the ship with someone the parents do not approve,

Edited by sail7seas

While the bracelet may be a good idea for emergencies, as a deaf person, I wouldn't really love wearing it. My legs and feet work just fine, and I am alert enough to observe that there is a problem when other passengers look like they are reacting to something out of the norm. I'm not sure a bracelet would do me much good, personally.

Where we need improvements for the hearing impaired are monitors around the ship that state what is being said over the loudspeaker. This would be a well received benefit for my personal situation.

I can contact a staff member on my own if I know what is happening.