Walking around the ships with plates of food

I once saw a guy in the WJ filling up his baby stroller with plates and plates of food. He seemed very stressed out. One of the staff seemed to be giving him some serious side eye. I guess with a baby you may have numerous reasons you need to eat in your room, like if they're sleeping or screaming relentlessly.

When I get pizza slices from Sorrento's to carry back to the room late night I always cover the on the plate with napkins. I have carried my main entrée and dessert from the MDR back to the room after I have eaten the salad soup and appetizer. Ask your waiter for the lids that they use when they bring it from the kitchen to cover it an they will happily give them to you along with silverware. :cool:

My husband and I brought back dessert and wine to our rooms almost every night when we were on Harmony in March! It honestly wouldn't of occurred to me if I hadn't seen a couple doing the same on the first night and told them I thought it was a great idea. It was a lovely way to relax at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I take food down from the Windjammer every so often, no problem. This is a weird thing to be "fascinated" by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Fascinated" was the wrong word. I guess I should have expected people would get defensive (it's what people do on this site), but my point was really that on a cruise ship you can't go anywhere without having free food being offered in some venue, so when people are going to the trouble of fighting the crowds at the windjammer and then riding in packed elevators that stop at every floor with said plates of food...it seems like a lot of work...and you're exposing your food to all kinds of elements.

It cracks me up at how people are just ready to pounce around here.

That was my thought also

Better than at hotels where you have all manner of sneaky delivery people from local area restaurants, pizza delivery services and so forth.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I feel kind of bad, I carry plates up to our balcony all the time, but I don't cover them. I just didn't think about it.

And now someone mentioned glasses of wine. I never thought about covering them either. To be fair, the poster didn't say they cover their glasses of wine, I just assumed so by the tone of the discussion. The forum has taught me a lot today.

Burt

"Fascinated" was the wrong word. I guess I should have expected people would get defensive (it's what people do on this site), but my point was really that on a cruise ship you can't go anywhere without having free food being offered in some venue, so when people are going to the trouble of fighting the crowds at the windjammer and then riding in packed elevators that stop at every floor with said plates of food...it seems like a lot of work...and you're exposing your food to all kinds of elements.

Many of us prefer to enjoy some quiet time on our balconies with a cheese plate we make or dessert and coffee. We have been doing this ever since we started cruising. The larger plates that they used to have in the WJ were perfect for bringing food to our balcony. The plates were more like a tray than a plate so worked perfectly for holding four cups of coffee, invert a clean plate on top, put a plate with desserts on top of that and then invert another plate on that as a cover, top all with a couple of rolled up napkins and silverware. Never have any issues "fighting the crowds in the WJ" since it is much quieter at dinner.

Many of us prefer to enjoy some quiet time on our balconies with a cheese plate we make or dessert and coffee. We have been doing this ever since we started cruising. The larger plates that they used to have in the WJ were perfect for bringing food to our balcony. The plates were more like a tray than a plate so worked perfectly for holding four cups of coffee, invert a clean plate on top, put a plate with desserts on top of that and then invert another plate on that as a cover, top all with a couple of rolled up napkins and silverware. Never have any issues "fighting the crowds in the WJ" since it is much quieter at dinner.

I am a diabetic and I really plan to use either zip locks or the covered plate technique to keep snacks etc in the room. WHEN I WANT FOOD.. I don't 'be wanting to wander' the ship in a demented hungry state of mind looking for food.;p

I'm not getting defensive. It truly is a weird thing to be fascinated by. If your tone was meant to be tongue in cheek as you said earlier, you missed the mark.

It's a normal thing that people do on cruises, bringing food back to the room, for a variety of reasons. There's really nothing to be fascinated by.

You know what fascinates me? People wearing flip flops. People drinking cocktails. People carrying towels.

Any of those things would be weird to be fascinated by, just as it is to be fascinated by people eating in their rooms. 🤷🏼*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a phenomenon that really fascinates me for some reason. Last cruise on the Allure about a month ago, I can't tell you how many times I was in a packed elevator with someone carrying plates full of food. Don't these people worry about germs lol? I am not a germaphobe, but the thought of people in close quarters breathing/sneezing/coughing all over a plate of food is disgusting. I can see if you are bringing it down for someone who isn't feeling well or has mobility issues....but the walking plates seemed like they were EVERYWHERE lol. Are people worried they may run out of dining options or that the ship might run out of food?

I'm writing this more just as an observation...I don't expect many of you to actually admit to doing this. I am alone in this observation?

So why are you worried (concerned) about what someone else does on the ship?

I usually bring back food to the room several times on a cruise, mainly for DS. I use the stairs, and never run in to a lot of people. Never worry about someone coming too close and sneezing, and I'm not about to start to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you want food in your cabin that is NOT room service, then you will have to carry it back to your cabin yourself. I can't imagine the "germs" are any worse than elsewhere....you are breathing the same stuff that might fall on your food. Not a big deal, IMO!

So why are you worried (concerned) about what someone else does on the ship?

Please read my comments in this thread. You'll see I'm not concerned. An observation that is made tongue in cheek and humorously does not equate to one being worried or concerned. Please feel free to carry your plates of food through the crowded elevator or wherever you want without an iota of judgment from me!

It's a phenomenon that really fascinates me for some reason. Last cruise on the Allure about a month ago, I can't tell you how many times I was in a packed elevator with someone carrying plates full of food. Don't these people worry about germs lol? I am not a germaphobe, but the thought of people in close quarters breathing/sneezing/coughing all over a plate of food is disgusting. I can see if you are bringing it down for someone who isn't feeling well or has mobility issues....but the walking plates seemed like they were EVERYWHERE lol. Are people worried they may run out of dining options or that the ship might run out of food?

I'm writing this more just as an observation...I don't expect many of you to actually admit to doing this. I am alone in this observation?

I think it might be time to be honest with yourself and admit that you are a germaphobe:p. . .not that there is anything wrong with that.

OK, so I read this thread til this end, then kinda beat myself up for doing that. WHY DOES ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND CARE WHAT ANYONE ELSE IS DOING WHEN IT COMES TO FOOD ON CRUISE SHIPS?????

One other thought occurred to me. I'm pretty sure whenever I've done this in the past I've covered my plate with an extra napkin.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Do this everyday on the ship...

Now what you really need to be fascinated about is people eating while they are still in line in the WJ. Can't they wait a couple more minutes until they are seated? And no, I'm not talking about tasting food to see if they like it and want more of something, although that is another matter.....

Sorry to hijack your thread, back to your topic: To not cover your food on a plate going back to your room is just, well, not something I would do.;)

Now what you really need to be fascinated about is people eating while they are still in line in the WJ. Can't they wait a couple more minutes until they are seated?
I always just figured that they had someplace to be at a certain time and wanted to have lunch before whatever activity they were heading to after.

Please read my comments in this thread. You'll see I'm not concerned. An observation that is made tongue in cheek and humorously does not equate to one being worried or concerned. Please feel free to carry your plates of food through the crowded elevator or wherever you want without an iota of judgment from me!

I did. You are!