Still another formal night question

marcc

From the Cambridge Dictionary: "a special public occasion at which there is a lot of entertainment." Sure does not sound like HAL (based on the other thread on lack of entertainment) ;)

And again, that is a much weaker argument since what is "special" and what is "entertainment" is highly subjective and so the complaint simply is a disagreement with the cruise line, which sounds more like a reason to pick another cruise line rather than anything the cruise line or any of the other passengers is doing wrong.

The dress "code" for gala - doesn't it depend on the location and cultural norms of the location? New York City? Right off the bat, I think of the Met Gala.
My cousin is a film producer who lives in New York City, and from what he posts on his Facebook page some of the galas he's attended look more like a Papa Roach concert. The point is that there is no (one) dress "code" for galas. Each gala has its own dress code (which is why, again, "black-tie gala" is not a redundancy but rather the proper way to include a description of the even, "gala", along with an advisory of the dress code, "black-tie").

The Gala opening for the Sundance Film Festival - definitely not formal attire, either... It's all in what the organizer determines what they want for the dress and it is up to the organizer to let attendees know the level of "atmosphere" for said specific gala.
You provided great examples, including this one, and great advice about this matter.

This is our first time doing a 14 day cruise on Zuiderdam in July. Where do we find the schedule of when Gala nights are so we know how many there are and how much does Tux rental run? Trying to plan our packing. Thanks in advance for answers!

Geez....are we getting into semantics of what constitutes a Formal or Gala event now?

Pretty sure what Holland and every other mainstream cruiseline is doing on these evenings is just tradition - a throwback to the days when people dressed to impress on Transatlantics. With less and less people interested in following these traditions, the cruiselines have adjusted to reflect the trends. I wouldn't be surprised to see them do away with gala anything in the foreseeable future.

There used to be a time when people dressed up for the theater or to fly but those days are gone as well......

This is our first time doing a 14 day cruise on Zuiderdam in July. Where do we find the schedule of when Gala nights are so we know how many there are and how much does Tux rental run? Trying to plan our packing. Thanks in advance for answers!

Typically the gala nights will be on an early and late "at sea" day, or an early port departure day. But not on the last night when everyone is packing. Typically they have been two per segment, but often up to four.

One long cruise we were notified upfront there would be 14 formal nights - and they actually canceled some mid-cruise because there can be too much of a good thing even for those of us who enjoy them. We will often also go formal when we visit the Pinnacle Restaurant, particularly if there is something we want to celebrate for ourselves. So if you are in the spirit of things, you may get more use out of a rented tux than just for gala nights.

Sorry, I don't have the prices for the rentals. But DH once was able to rent something after he got on board when he realized he packed the wrong pants, from his dark navy suit instead of the ones for his tux jacket - closet was dark. However now I think they have to be pre-ordered before you depart.

Typically the gala nights will be on an early and late "at sea" day, or an early port departure day. But not on the last night when everyone is packing. Typically they have been two per segment, but often up to four.

One long cruise we were notified upfront there would be 14 formal nights - and they actually canceled some mid-cruise because there can be too much of a good thing even for those of us who enjoy them. We will often also go formal when we visit the Pinnacle Restaurant, particularly if there is something we want to celebrate for ourselves. So if you are in the spirit of things, you may get more use out of a rented tux than just for gala nights.

Sorry, I don't have the prices for the rentals. But DH once was able to rent something after he got on board when he realized he packed the wrong pants, from his dark navy suit instead of the ones for his tux jacket - closet was dark. However now I think they have to be pre-ordered before you depart.

Thank you! I was hoping there was a schedule somewhere but have not been able to find one on HAL website with our reservation. I guess we will go with one dark suit for him and several various dresses for me.

Thank you! I was hoping there was a schedule somewhere but have not been able to find one on HAL website with our reservation. I guess we will go with one dark suit for him and several various dresses for me.

Here's the link to the company that rents the formal wear:

https://cruiselineformal.com/cf_pages/?c=hal

I was surprised to see that the prices really haven't gone up since a friend of ours rented a tux about 10 years ago. Just one very important tip: Have him (your husband, not my friend) try to on everything as soon as you board. That way, if something is wrong, it can be fixed before departure.

While it is a relatively unreliable way of knowing, what I do is try to find folks who are posting issues of On Location (the cruise ship daily newsletter) from the same ship and itinerary that I'm taking. With the exception of changes due to holidays, that seems to be mostly accurate with regard to which nights are gala nights.

Here's the link to the company that rents the formal wear:

https://cruiselineformal.com/cf_pages/?c=hal

I was surprised to see that the prices really haven't gone up since a friend of ours rented a tux about 10 years ago. Just one very important tip: Have him (your husband, not my friend) try to on everything as soon as you board. That way, if something is wrong, it can be fixed before departure.

Thank you!!!

Just read an interesting article on the Wall Street Journal about a high school in Florida with a rather strict dress code. Only khaki or navy bottoms with a school top; no open-toe shoes or sparkly undershirts; sweaters and jackets must be free of emblems other than the school logo. However, on Fridays you can wear blue jeans if you joint the Blue Jeans Club and pay a fee of $25.

Wonder how this would go over. Passengers who want to wear jeans on Gala nights may but only if they pay $5 per Gala Night. Proceeds to go to the MDR crew. All other aspects the dress code would still apply, ie, shirts with collars, etc.

Just read an interesting article on the Wall Street Journal about a high school in Florida with a rather strict dress code. Only khaki or navy bottoms with a school top; no open-toe shoes or sparkly undershirts; sweaters and jackets must be free of emblems other than the school logo. However, on Fridays you can wear blue jeans if you joint the Blue Jeans Club and pay a fee of $25.

My old high school in Pennsylvania went to something similar. When I was visiting my father for Thanksgiving, I happened to be near the school at 3:00 when school left out. It looked a gang of Best Buy clerks were roaming the streets.

That's why I propose three realistic dress code standards:

1) Screw it. Wear what you want. We give up.

2) C'mon, at least act like you're trying.

3) Wear what you think looks nice. (This one is coupled with voting by your fellow passengers as to whether you actually look nice or not. The voting is non-binding, but lets you know where you stand.)

Absolutely brilliant! :D

Wonder how this would go over. Passengers who want to wear jeans on Gala nights may but only if they pay $5 per Gala Night. Proceeds to go to the MDR crew. All other aspects the dress code would still apply, ie, shirts with collars, etc.

My high school back in the day didn't require uniforms like the one here in Florida. But, girls had to wear dresses or skirts and had to touch the floor when kneeling. I was one of the revolt leaders to allow girls to wear pants and and any length skirts at my school. Then, I helped my friends to do the same at their school. Loved being able to wear my granny skirts and the vests my actual Grandma made for me!!! Remember those vests that were patchwork squares crocheted kind? I had a few of those and one ankle-length skirt the my Grandma crocheted just for me!!! Yes, I was a clothes rebel even way back in the Hippie days!!

The ship establishes the guidelines for dress, not the other passengers. But the passengers can express themselves in any way they want - either by ignoring the guidelines if the ship does not enforce them, or looking down on those who have chosen to ignore them. That pretty much covers all the main possibilities under discussion.

I am curious how you achieve what I have bolded above. Specifically how does one go about " looking down on fellow passengers"( as this is the second time in this thread you have mentioned this) who may not meet your ( or HAl's) criteria for dress on a Gala night or non Gala night? Do you say something to them to shame them? Do you call over the DR manager and say something to him? Do you request to sit at another table? I am serious. If this is so upsetting to you, I would be interested in hearing your solution on board the ship.

I am curious how you achieve what I have bolded above. Specifically how does one go about " looking down on fellow passengers"( as this is the second time in this thread you have mentioned this) who may not meet your ( or HAl's) criteria for dress on a Gala night or non Gala night? Do you say something to them to shame them? Do you call over the DR manager and say something to him? Do you request to sit at another table? I am serious. If this is so upsetting to you, I would be interested in hearing your solution on board the ship.

That is the point - you are free to do whatever you want in the same spirt of those who choose to dress how ever they want. Enjoy the creative expression - everyone in the pool! Emmanuel Kant can explain this better than I.

Newbie here. When are the "Gala" nights and how does one best avoid them? Do we have to stay in our cabin or just go to a different venue? I assume they're done in the main dining room.
As I understand it, as with other major cruise lines Carnival typically has two per week, generally on sea days but not always. The dress code applies only to the full-service dining rooms, not the buffet or counter service eateries.

Newbie here. When are the "Gala" nights and how does one best avoid them? Do we have to stay in our cabin or just go to a different venue? I assume they're done in the main dining room.

If you simply don't want to join this activity in the main dining room, you can enjoy all of the speciality restaurants, the buffet or room service. However, gala night today is intended more for those who still want to dress up, and is not necessarily restrictive for those who do not.

Your call where you want to dine that night and how you choose to dress. Though we are getting some reports of the main dining room turning away those who have not met the very minimal guidelines for that evening. This obviously varies from ship to ship.

Does HA still require tie and jacket in the MDR on formal (gala) nights? The last posts I found were ambiguous. We are on the Zuiderdam in the Baltic next month and I'd really like to avoid packing a suit and tie that I'll only be using for a couple of hours.

Thanks

Marc C

Typing "Holland America Formal Night Dress Code" into Google got me this information in about 10 seconds -

:Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dressto impress for special events on board, including a five-coursegourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collaredshirt and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants . Forladies, dressy attire is appropriate, dresses skirts and slacks are allacceptable.Formal wear"

DON

Typing "Holland America Formal Night Dress Code" into Google got me this information in about 10 seconds -

:Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dressto impress for special events on board, including a five-coursegourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collaredshirt and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants . Forladies, dressy attire is appropriate, dresses skirts and slacks are allacceptable.Formal wear"

DON

I wish they would take out that silly line "dress to impress". People choose to dress up more formally because they enjoy ..... the evocative grand traditions of cruising. Leave it at that.

It is also not clear if these dress guidelines extend to "all fine dining restaurants" - does that mean it includes the Pinnacle and what else?

If you simply don't want to join this activity in the main dining room, you can enjoy all of the speciality restaurants, the buffet or room service. However, gala night today is intended more for those who still want to dress up, and is not necessarily restrictive for those who do not.

Your call where you want to dine that night and how you choose to dress. Though we are getting some reports of the main dining room turning away those who have not met the very minimal guidelines for that evening. This obviously varies from ship to ship.

It's not the dressing up. I don't dress up, but I've got sufficient wardrobe to pass. I just don't like crowds. I know. Why am I on a cruise? That was my husband's call for this vaca. I'm just along for the ride.

I forgot that Gala Night has special dining options. I wouldn't miss the party atmosphere, but I am paying for the better food. Guess we'll have to attend to get our steak and lobster (or whatever). Maybe I can get it to go or as room service. :D

It is also not clear if these dress guidelines extend to "all fine dining restaurants" - does that mean it includes the Pinnacle and what else?

The Pinnacle and Tamarind, but not Canaletto as it is part of the Lido.

I have no idea what the Sel de Mer is like as a venue, so don't know how that is included.

I wish they would take out that silly line "dress to impress". People choose to dress up more formally because they enjoy ..... the evocative grand traditions of cruising. Leave it at that.

When a "five course gourmet dinner" is served, maybe people will be more likely to follow the dress guidelines. Five courses - yes. Gourmet - no.

We travel with only carry on luggage and there is always room for my gala dresses and my husband rents a tux so that we don't have to waste room on a jacket and dress shoes. Traveling light is no excuse not to have acceptable or preferable gala attire.