How to prevent Sea pass from getting demagnetized

Amishcountry

As cruise beginners, upcoming cruise will be our second, one issue we had was that our Sea Pass kept getting demagnetized , and we ended up having to replace several times. Help

We ended up using lanyards.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sometimes, it just happens! But...phones or magnetic clasps will "de-magnetize" them. Basically anything with a magnet will render them useless! I don't know why they can't magnetize keys like credit cards...they never get demagnetized!

Hubby just puts his in his pocket....I carry mine in a small purse along with tissues, lipstick, comb, etc...

As cruise beginners, upcoming cruise will be our second, one issue we had was that our Sea Pass kept getting demagnetized , and we ended up having to replace several times. Help

We ended up using lanyards.

I have only had one purse that has demagnetized my seapass card (it had a magnetic closure) .. After I figured that out, I no longer use that purse and I haven't had a problem since.

I keep my card in my pocket with nothing else next to it.......normally the only thing that is causing the problem is the card

is rubbing against something else. Keep it away from anything else and the problem should be solved.

In the evenings, if I am wearing an outfit without pockets, I use a very small crossbody bag that has a slot made for a

credit card......I slide the card into that slot.

Many folks use lanyards.....I am not a lanyard person so they don't work for me.

Capsplace - great question !

Just did some research. Apparently an RFID sleeve will NOT prevent demagnetizing. Darn. I read that the best way to tell if a sleeve prevents demagnetizing, take a frig magnet and put the sleeve between the magnet and the frig. If it stays up, the sleeve doesn't prevent demagnetizing.

I had ONE cruise where my card kept failing at opening my cabin door and I had to go to the service desk and get it replaced 4 or 5 times. They kept lecturing me about how I was causing it to happen by letting it get demagnetized--but I treated the card on that cruise no differently than I had ever treated my cruise card before or since, and it only happened on that cruise and only when I tried to unlock my cabin door. So I'm convinced that the problem was actually with the locking mechanism on the cabin door. Not that the cruise line is ever likely to admit that! :)

All this to say that I don't think it's something to worry about much unless you routinely carry it snuggled up right next to your cellphone or something. I generally have it in my purse in a little zippered section on the side, and have had no problem before or since that one cruise.

I had ONE cruise where my card kept failing at opening my cabin door and I had to go to the service desk and get it replaced 4 or 5 times. They kept lecturing me about how I was causing it to happen by letting it get demagnetized--but I treated the card on that cruise no differently than I had ever treated my cruise card before or since, and it only happened on that cruise and only when I tried to unlock my cabin door. So I'm convinced that the problem was actually with the locking mechanism on the cabin door. Not that the cruise line is ever likely to admit that! :)

All this to say that I don't think it's something to worry about much unless you routinely carry it snuggled up right next to your cellphone or something. I generally have it in my purse in a little zippered section on the side, and have had no problem before or since that one cruise.

Same thing happened to me on our Equinox cruise in March. 5 times they had to change my card. Even though I had the same phone on previous cruises.In the end they gave me a plastic sleeve to put mine and my wife's cards in

I always keep mine in my pocket or purse, no problems as long as it's away from my phone, tablet and kindle (it has a magnetic cover). On my last cruise I took an evening bag with a magnetic clasp and there went my seapass card! Had to get a new one. After that, I made sure to put the card in the purse with the magnetic strip facing away from the magnetic closure of the bag and no more problems.

One more thing. Keep all your receipts for anything you purchase on the ship. After my card was replaced I needed to return something to one of the ship stores and because they issue a new folio number when they replace the card the store had no record of my purchase when I presented my replacement card. The receipt made things easy.

Slightly off topic, but during our last cruise we thought that we had the same problem as described in this thread. After a couple trips to the front desk (in our damp swimsuits naturally LOL) the problem turned out to be a low battery in the cabin door lock. We both had our Seapass cards and neither worked, so I thought right away that the problem was not with the cards but with the door. It only took a couple hours to get that problem straightened out.

Slightly off topic, but during our last cruise we thought that we had the same problem as described in this thread. After a couple trips to the front desk (in our damp swimsuits naturally LOL) the problem turned out to be a low battery in the cabin door lock. We both had our Seapass cards and neither worked, so I thought right away that the problem was not with the cards but with the door. It only took a couple hours to get that problem straightened out.

Thanks for the info. Will keep that in mind.

Just back from a 15 Night cruise on the Conny

I did nothing to protect my card , it was beside phone , on my iPad magnetic cover , no protection at all, never had a problem,

My wife keep her card protect in the paper cover , away from her phone , she had to replace 6 times :')

We were a group of 27 and everyone who does not have it on a lanyard inside a plastic holder had their seapass demagnetized at least once. I don't know why they don't switch to the RFID card. Disney cruise has it years ago and it was wonderful. Even Disney World 2 days pass has it..and it is disposable. It can't be that expansive to switch to it. I think I read that they are going to start using it on the Edge class.

BTW, if you have a piece of plastic or synthetic material on you, you could try to rub the strip on the card against it a few times and immediately try to open the door. It works often. I learnt that trick from the supermarket checkout when the cashier made my demagnetized credit card work by rubbing it against the plastic grocery bags.

Keeping the card in camera case also de magnetizes...learned that lesson..

On our Connie cruise, the cards stopped working several times for many guests..they said it was a coding issue It became quite annoying..esp on a port day when folks needed to replace the card in order to exit the ship..

We do our best to secure the card..but somtimes there's an oops!

I had several cards demagnetized before I found the culprit: my clip on sunglasses that were kept in the same part of my day bag. Now I always keep the card in the leather(?) cardholder that was one of our in room gifts. No problem since I started doing that.

We were a group of 27 and everyone who does not have it on a lanyard inside a plastic holder had their seapass demagnetized at least once. I don't know why they don't switch to the RFID card. Disney cruise has it years ago and it was wonderful. Even Disney World 2 days pass has it..and it is disposable. It can't be that expansive to switch to it. I think I read that they are going to start using it on the Edge class.

While the RFID cards aren't particularly expensive, good quality locksets are not cheap. A cost-benefit analysis of replacing every lock on every door on a ship would no doubt raise serious questions. It makes sense to instal RFID locksets on new builds, but I'm not convinced that there's a need or particular benefit for existing ships.