FLL - airline pilots walkout hits Spirit Airline - passengers hit back

OlsSalt

Having recently flown Spirit Airlines to FLL from LAX for our last HAL cruise, this was obviously of interest and a warning to others who might be affected by their pilots walk out over contract negotiations: http://www.dailywire.com/news/16221/watch-airline-passengers-go-nuts-after-spirit-frank-camp

One thing I can say about Spirit is they offered a cheap price, along with everything cheap else they offered and they ding you if your suitcase is over 40#, not the typical 50#. By the time we added on all the usually included extras, there was no savings and a lot less to enjoy on board. But it was only a domestic cross country flight.

One thing I can say about Spirit is they offered a cheap price, along with everything cheap else they offered and they ding you if your suitcase is over 40#, not the typical 50#. By the time we added on all the usually included extras, there was no savings and a lot less to enjoy on board. But it was only a domestic cross country flight.

We only consider a fare to be cheap based on the bottom line price after adding the add-ons that we can not avoid, especially when cruising, like baggage fees, among others.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We only consider a fare to be cheap based on the bottom line price after adding the add-ons that we can not avoid, especially when cruising, like baggage fees, among others.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Live and learn. I bought if in a bundled package from an online flight website. Knew nothing about them, but they were the only one that offered the right timing for us. It was laughable how many ways against Sunday they could keep adding on extra fees.

I'll give them credit for one thing - they made it financially very painful to bring aboard carry ons, so the boarding process was one of the smoothest ever.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2017/05/09/spirit-airlines-chaos-fights-erupt-cancellations-roil-carrier/101458876/

According to the article - What’s the problem? Spirit Airlines filed a suit Monday against its pilot union, alleging “an unlawful job action by Spirit pilots.”

Sounds like a strike to me!

When I went with a family group this March from BWI to FLL, the father and I flew Southwest so we could bring 4 pieces of checked-in while the mom and kids took Spirit to save on costs. With 5 kids the savings were significant.

Personally I haven't tried Spirit yet so can't say anything bad about them but do prefer the known quality of Southwest.

It is a work slowdown by the pilots and their union.

What is going to be interesting is how many days it's going to take to get everyone where they need to go? Spirit doesn't have all that many planes and doesn't fly everywhere, everyday. And, they don't have agreements to fly displaced passengers on other airlines. Some are going to have to choose between last-minute high fares or missing the cruise, I fear.

Liked how the Spirit passengers were keeping it classy at the airport (NOT)...

Coach seating pitch 28 inches and no recline. I will pass. ;)

Careful what you laugh at... American just announced that many of their new jets are going to 28" seat pitch...

Neither Spirit or the pilots are claiming a strike. At best, that is a rumor.

Conversely, I have not heard an official reason for the flight cancellations.

It's coming, NK pilots make peanuts. Horrid working conditions, they made less than a regional FO.

Careful what you laugh at... American just announced that many of their new jets are going to 28" seat pitch...

Will pass on that too. ;):)

I used to have status on both United and American, but switched to Southwest for most domestic travel several years ago. Best decision ever. :D

I avoid entities that nickel and dime so Spirit airlines has never been a consideration. We fly Southwest a couple times a year and have zero complaints as they remain customer focused and fairly classy.

We just flew United international flights and we've never been treated better., especially at O'Hare.

Consumer choice is important. Everybody wants low cost - but as long as they are willing to accept reduced quality: limited seat space, add-on fees, etc. as part of the deal, they are getting what they pay for. There are comfortable seats in business class, and very comfortable accommodations in first class -- passengers who do not want to pay top dollar are free to shop around - and should not complain if what they get is not exactly what they would like. However, there are limits: Spirit serves as a good object lesson: there are some times where absolute cheapest is not the best deal.

Consumer choice is important. Everybody wants low cost - but as long as they are willing to accept reduced quality: limited seat space, add-on fees, etc. as part of the deal, they are getting what they pay for. There are comfortable seats in business class, and very comfortable accommodations in first class -- passengers who do not want to pay top dollar are free to shop around - and should not complain if what they get is not exactly what they would like. However, there are limits: Spirit serves as a good object lesson: there are some times where absolute cheapest is not the best deal.

The problem I have with the current fares is that there is no middle ground. I'd love to fly first or business class to Europe, but it would eat up too much of my travel budget for the year. (Not willing to take one trip instead of three....) I'm willing to pay more than just basic coach -- in fact, when it's available I will often get the so called "economy comfort" seats, which offer a minimally more comfortable ride. I wish there was something more in between the extremes though. I'd definitely pay for it.

The problem I have with the current fares is that there is no middle ground. I'd love to fly first or business class to Europe, but it would eat up too much of my travel budget for the year. (Not willing to take one trip instead of three....) I'm willing to pay more than just basic coach -- in fact, when it's available I will often get the so called "economy comfort" seats, which offer a minimally more comfortable ride. I wish there was something more in between the extremes though. I'd definitely pay for it.

The in-between options vary a lot. Virgin Atlantic has a good "premium economy" (is that an oxymoron???), with a separate section and better seats than economy for much less than their first class. We've used that a few times. Would love to do first. Maybe if we win the lottery...

Because we're near Newark Airport, our main choice for domestic flights is United. On their domestic flights, "premium economy" or whatever they call it is the same seat as economy with a bit more legroom. The annoying thing is that you can't see how much the upsell is until after you've booked your economy seat.

I know I'm comparing different airlines in different markets, but my point is that you have to do some research to see if it's worth the extra cost for the upgraded seat. (Can I mention seat guru? I think that's part of the cc/tripadvisor group?) The whole flying experience is torture. Every time I think it can't be worse, they make the seats narrower, the cushions thinner, and the legroom less.

The in-between options vary a lot. Virgin Atlantic has a good "premium economy" (is that an oxymoron???), with a separate section and better seats than economy for much less than their first class. We've used that a few times. Would love to do first. Maybe if we win the lottery...

Because we're near Newark Airport, our main choice for domestic flights is United. On their domestic flights, "premium economy" or whatever they call it is the same seat as economy with a bit more legroom. The annoying thing is that you can't see how much the upsell is until after you've booked your economy seat.

I know I'm comparing different airlines in different markets, but my point is that you have to do some research to see if it's worth the extra cost for the upgraded seat. (Can I mention seat guru? I think that's part of the cc/tripadvisor group?) The whole flying experience is torture. Every time I think it can't be worse, they make the seats narrower, the cushions thinner, and the legroom less.

Yes, I do all of that now. Unfortunately, my closest airport is Atlanta which significantly limits my choices. (Of course I could fly to another US hub before my overseas flight, but one has to weigh the extra travel time/wear and tear into that equation....) Delta, which 'owns' ATL, has the same crappy economy comfort as United.

Although I have to say, I just flew United back from my April Med cruise, and the food and service were worse than what I am used to with Delta, so at least there's that. :rolleyes:

Can't help it, but living on the West Coast adds at least 6 more hours of torture to get to Europe or the grind of a trans-Pacific flight to go anywhere else. Dream for me would be to live on the East Coast (and keep my California lifestyle!) and see Europe as a "short-term" commute.

Adding all the extra wait times for check-in and security before even boarding now really stretches out the travel day too so by the time I finally get on the plane itself I am well frazzled.

I remember my early days of global travel showing up about 10 minutes before the plane door closed and leaving home only a few hours before my flight departure at LAX, easily getting parking close by at the airport and zipping right into the departure gate to the plane, with so many empty seats you could stretch out and sleep. (1970's)

Can't help it, but living on the West Coast adds at least 6 more hours of torture to get to Europe or the grind of a trans-Pacific flight to go anywhere else. Dream for me would be to live on the East Coast (and keep my California lifestyle!) and see Europe as a "short-term" commute.

Adding all the extra wait times for check-in and security before even boarding now really stretches out the travel day too so by the time I finally get on the plane itself I am well frazzled.

I remember my early days of global travel showing up about 10 minutes before the plane door closed and leaving home only a few hours before my flight departure at LAX, easily getting parking close by at the airport and zipping right into the departure gate to the plane, with so many empty seats you could stretch out and sleep. (1970's)

Very true re: the West Coast -- although there are several places there where I'd consider retiring, I wouldn't do it since I plan to keep traveling to Europe quite frequently.

I don't have such fond memories of travel in the 1970s and early 80s. Seems like every time my family had a trip planned, something major intervened to make the trip a nightmare. We had a trip planned at the beginning of the air traffic controller strike in 1981 (slept in JFK airport for one night); another time we were scheduled to fly just when all the L-1011 Tristars were grounded due to safety concerns after a major crash (I think it was 1985) -- we missed our initial flight and then the subsequent flight causing a 2-3 day delay in arrival.

Also, my parents were smokers so -- at least until I was old enough to sit by myself -- we always had seats in the back of the plane in the "smoking" section. Remember those good old days? :cool:

Very true re: the West Coast -- although there are several places there where I'd consider retiring, I wouldn't do it since I plan to keep traveling to Europe quite frequently.

I don't have such fond memories of travel in the 1970s and early 80s. Seems like every time my family had a trip planned, something major intervened to make the trip a nightmare. We had a trip planned at the beginning of the air traffic controller strike in 1981 (slept in JFK airport for one night); another time we were scheduled to fly just when all the L-1011 Tristars were grounded due to safety concerns after a major crash (I think it was 1985) -- we missed our initial flight and then the subsequent flight causing a 2-3 day delay in arrival.

Also, my parents were smokers so -- at least until I was old enough to sit by myself -- we always had seats in the back of the plane in the "smoking" section. Remember those good old days? :cool:

I got caught in the air traffic controllers strike too - was in Fiji in communicado for two weeks and by the time we got back to LAX my connecting airline to my home town had simply gone out of business. The group of strangers that was collecting at their now vacated departure desk decided we would all rent a car together and drive back home.

Forgot about the smoking. One of my very first flights a guy sitting next to me gratuitously asked if I minded if he smoked. I said yes, and he lit up his cigarette anyway. I learned something about human nature on that flight.

Also remembers stories about great romances starting after a chance encounters with a flight seat mate. Chatting up strangers was part of the experience back then. Now I pretend no one even exists, just as few inches away from me. In fact there were stories about young ladies booking multiple flights between NYC and Wash DC just to increase the chances they would meet someone rich and powerful.

And who can forget the saucy Coffee, Tea or Me days when stewardess were selected for their female perkiness, were not the grim storm-troopers they are today, plus were not called the more generically professional "flight attendants".

Hey, we are talking about "change" as it has affected just about everything in transportation over the past few decades. Flying is not what it used to be either. But the prices are staying close to the same - a charter to London was about $400 back then and a lumbering prop on Icelandic Airways was a Eurail Pass backpacker legend.

I hope someone can tell me that the HAL airfare deals to Europe, which sound tremendous, are NOT on Spirit

You are lucky - Spirit doesn't fly to Europe. Only el-cheapo flights within the US and to some Caribbean, Central America and South America destinations. I would not even DREAM of taking a shaky airline with no alliances to anywhere outside the US - I just imagine the nightmare when the plane doesn't show up and you have to wait a week or so to get out OR pay for another ticket on a reliable airline...

Good lesson for folks who choose to fly in to the port city the day their cruise sails. (yes, yes ... I know there are those who have no choice but I'm not talking to them:D )

Local TV news interviewed a local family that had a family cruise planned for one of the son's 21st birthday. Spirit left them standing in the airport. If they'd been flying the day prior to sailing they'd have had time to drive rather than miss the sailing. It was sad to watch.