Eurodam to Alaska : We came , we saw , we photographed .

Here's the view from our balcony as we were getting ready for lunch

DSC00979_zpsgsnyqjes.jpg

So I went to the Port side to take pictures

DSC00983_zps83nsn59w.jpg

Pat had set up and All American lunch while I was gone . Soup , sandwich and Sushi .

DSC00973_zpslqppwd1n.jpg

Also the dinner menu had come

DSC00991_zpssmy9hue8.jpg

It was 44 F with drizzle and we were about a mile from the city . We watch people disembark as we ate Welcome to Alaska !

DSC00995_zpsslqburbt.jpg

DSC00997_zpsv0wv17if.jpg

So, 44°F with a drizzle. :eek: If Barry hears that, I'll never get him to Alaska!

I think I'll just let him look at specially selected pictures and not let him read anything that mentions cold or rain. :D Based on plans we have already made, I'm afraid that Alaska is a few years down the road for us anyway. There are so many places to visit and things to do on our bucket list, and the more we travel, the more the list seems to grow.

So, 44°F with a drizzle. :eek: If Barry hears that, I'll never get him to Alaska!

I think I'll just let him look at specially selected pictures and not let him read anything that mentions cold or rain. :D Based on plans we have already made, I'm afraid that Alaska is a few years down the road for us anyway. There are so many places to visit and things to do on our bucket list, and the more we travel, the more the list seems to grow.

If cold is a concern, just plan to visit later in the summer. DH and I have done 2 land only trips in late August where the temps were comfortable to warm to downright hot in Fairbanks. You can get rain, but a good jacket and rain pants are worth their weight in gold.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Disembarking in Juneau

IMG_579020Stitch-001_zpsrtjol4nq.jpg

With the aid of the telephoto we could see the Mt. Roberts Tramway in the distance

IMG_5806_zpsle9c2lkz.jpg

And the Nieuw Amsterdam docked at where we thought that we would be , at the base of the Tramway This cruise would have several Plan B days .

IMG_578520Stitch-001_zpsr8b59sk2.jpg

Ashore waiting for the ride to the helicopter

DSC01005_zpsxzrrpede.jpg

When our 6 people were assembled we rode thru Juneau toward the air field as seen in the video clip :

After arriving , we saw a short video clip , and they took my camera bag from me , and gave us outer boots for walking on the glacier .

DSC01008_zpspchihwqh.jpg

Time to gas up the bird and exchange passengers

IMG_4300_zps3kthspl5.jpg

The crew seated the 2 ladies in the front with the pilot and the 4 guys were crowded in the back . I got in last with a window seat for photos . Here's my view

IMG_4306_zpslmx1cutj.jpg

And Pat's

DSC01011_zpsrg9bpcsw.jpg

And a video as we take off from the airport :

Flying over a glacier

DSC01039_zpsoynxbvjg.jpg

Video , the approach to Herbert Glacier :

Video , landing on the Herbert Glacier :

Walking on the Glacier

IMG_4321_zpsxplzazhh.jpg

IMG_4324%20Stitch-003_zpsw1vkikot.jpg

IMG_4309%20Stitch-001_zpsaivto8bo.jpg

DSC01020-001_zps4wt5eo5i.jpg

My cute little penguin always has a smile

IMG_4384_zpsutlmwyvr.jpg

We would rather wear these jackets than a dinner jacket

DSC01032_zpspdxqv3tc.jpg

A couple of walking on the glacier videos :

As we were returning to leave the ladies agreed to switch places in the front giving Pat the window seat . The guy next to me wanted me to trade my window to him for a place in the middle . I suggested that he trade seats with his partner who stayed by the window and never left the helicopter and that I would trade with the other man .

IMG_4348-001_zpsdnp8eopu.jpg

As we were boarding the other man said that he would stay in the center and that he would let me keep the window since I was actively videoing . What a nice thing to do , to give up his seat ! :)

We found Stephen on Tours by Locals .

DSC01432_zpsusccjjcs.jpg

We booked him today...he's fine with the 4 of us and we'll just squeeze in....thanks for the tip....definitely want to go to Herring Cove....for possible bear sightings!!! woo hoo!!!

We booked him today...he's fine with the 4 of us and we'll just squeeze in....thanks for the tip....definitely want to go to Herring Cove....for possible bear sightings!!! woo hoo!!!

You will be pros after squeezing into the helicopter ! Also , there is a walkway there that will get you so close to the bears that you may become bear bait ! I think that it is about $100 extra p.p. :cool:

Next stop , Mendenhall Glacier

DSC01020-001_zps4wt5eo5i.jpg

DSC01047%20Stitch-001_zpsk61hzlmm.jpg

There was a bride and a groom in this helicopter who had just been married on the glacier as we were landing .

IMG_4349_zpsicnios1v.jpg

And a group hiking on the glacier

IMG_4357-001_zpsas8pkge3.jpg

IMG_4361_zpsrt0pr3xp.jpg

Video clip on the Mendenhall :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgn8BrrJIoeyp3pD3LqhoRA

Pat getting a drink at the 'watering hole'.

IMG_4377_zps2rgr1epj.jpg

That's one thing I noticed - very little chatter on our Roll Call. Not sure if it's a HAL or Alaska thing or what. Certainly not used it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know what you mean & I'm posting questions/conversation starters...

I love these so much! We sail on the Eurodam out of Seattle on 05/27 and we are in a Neptune. My stomach is in knots because our flight lands at noon and we have to be on board by 3. Thanks for all the pictures and info!

That's just nuts!

Alaska Airlines changed our departure time by 2 hours (& we are on a non-stop), I was never happier to be one of those who arrives a day or 2 early!

That's just nuts!

Alaska Airlines changed our departure time by 2 hours (& we are on a non-stop), I was never happier to be one of those who arrives a day or 2 early!

We have adopted the same plan going a day or 2 early and usually staying a day or more afterwards and we're glad that we do ! ;)

That's just nuts!

Yes, this will be the last cruise that we do not arrive a day early. Our group has done several cruises with same day arrivals and have never had a problem but with all of the negative press about flights and airlines all over the news right now, it is just stressing me.

Joe and Pat, I found this just this morning and have read all 13 pages to date. Chihuly Gardens didn't exist last time we were in Seattle (year 2001?) but obviously we have to go back. I saw our hotel of choice-Inn at the Market in one of your Pike's Place shots.

I don't see many extensive photo reviews on HAL but I am liking what I see so far. Food looks good!

Keep it coming.

Norris

My bi & tri-focals are not reading the attachments...

Are there "Mexican" options? My last cruise was with a different brand & I enjoyed their "Cantina." (The members of my family are not fans of that cuisine, so I tend to eat my fill on cruises.)

Joe and Pat, I found this just this morning and have read all 13 pages to date. Chihuly Gardens didn't exist last time we were in Seattle (year 2001?) but obviously we have to go back. I saw our hotel of choice-Inn at the Market in one of your Pike's Place shots.

I don't see many extensive photo reviews on HAL but I am liking what I see so far. Food looks good!

Keep it coming.

Norris

Thanks Norris and welcome aboard , we're glad that you could make it !